More lumen light bulbs!

Hey all, any chance there has been discussions on a brighter smart bulb than the equivalent of a 60 watt bulb? I have a single fixture in my very old kitchen and I need at least a 100 watt or 150 watt equivalent smart bulb.

I’m sure there is a reason that 60 watt equivalent seems to be the standard everywhere. Having to use multiple 60’s to be able to see further than a 4 ft radius seems odd to me.

If there hasn’t been discussions about brighter smart bulbs can we start one?

1 Like

Hey there,

You should definetely add this to the Wyze Wishlist, this way it may be considered in the future.

Kenner

2 Likes

Can you use a splitter?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWO5SGU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use them in my basement, 3 60W LED’s are pretty bright. 5 can be blinding.

1 Like

Sounds like you need a new kitchen… :wink:. I actually replaced a fixture in my laundry room with a single-bulb fixture because it was a pain trying to find those double circular fluorescent tubes. If you have some basic tools and know how to turn off a breaker, it might make your life easier to replace the fixture with a 2-bulb. If not, that splitter @gemniii suggested seems like an interesting option.

To sort of answer your question, 60W equivalent (~800 lumens) is the most commonly used bulb so it makes sense to produce that (and cover the 40W range at the same time with dimming). 75W, 100W, and 150W bulbs are less common because they’re usually too bright or hot for most fixtures, and supply/demand would probably make them too expensive. Also, heat is bad for the “smart” piece of the bulb, so that probably contributes to the challenge of producing them.

Another thing to consider, some smart bulbs say they are 75W equivalent (1100 lumen) but actually put out more like 900 lumens, The “100W equivalent” (1600 lumen) smart bulbs I’ve seen only put out ~1200 lumens, and I’ve never seen a 150W equivalent (2600 lumen) smart bulb.

Oh, you are brilliant! I’ve never seen one of those splitters! Apparently I don’t get out much eh? Ordered and will be here tomorrow! Wheeee! Thanks so much for that suggestion.

Oh. you’ve got that right…this kitchen is straight out of 1939.

I can turn a breaker off but I’m deathly afraid of electricity! To do that simple job I’d need an electrician. I really should bite the bullet and put in an overhead.

Thanks for the answer on the heat issue. I figured it was something like that but couldn’t actually find anything that talked about those challenges. I hope at some time someone will figure out a way to protect the “smart” piece and give us more light!

I did buy some 75 watt equivalent smart bulbs but they didn’t state on the packaging that they’d only connect to a 2.4GHz line and even tho I have a dual router it just refused to recognize it. It’d turn on like a regular bulb but the light was terrible and I boxed them up and gave them to my daughter.

I’m pretty sure the Wyze bulbs are 2.4Ghz.

That’s fine because my router is dual. I don’t know what the heck was with those other bulbs…I don’t have any issues with any other wifi-related technology. I believe all my Phillips Hue and bridge use the 2.4 frequency.