Modifying Wyze Contact Sensor to act as a Button

Video here

I tore apart one of my Wyze Contact Sensors the other day. The sensor uses a simple reed switch to detect when a magnet is present, closing the circuit.

I desoldered the reed switch and wired up a Cherry MX switch I had lying around. I also 3D printed a quick casing up and made a button that allows me to trigger lights on and off.

I also got this working with a toggle switch, but it only allows two states: on and off. You can add more functionality by adding more rules for 6 seconds, 8 seconds etc.

Here is a step by step guide

Link to the 3D printing files

11 Likes

This is a great idea! Would love to see a full tutorial. I use a Philips Hue dimmer switch with HomeKit/IFTTT to control my Wyze lights but it would be much faster to use a native Wyze device.

1 Like

Super cool. I think we’d love to see the full tutorial. Be sure to share any 3d-print files you created for it, too.

@lachlan6 did something similar over here. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll see about getting your trust level increased so you can do the embedding and write up. this would be a great use for many things.

1 Like

Already done! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok I uploaded a step by step guide and the thingiverse link!

Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions. I have a few more project in mind. I’ll be sure to share these when they’re ready

4 Likes

Excellent! Thanks for the contribution!

Hello sholland91
Very nice transformation of the contact sensor to a smart push button switch.
When I have modified modified a contact sensor only the stake post had to be snipped.
The side features could remain untouched by angling the PCB out.
A question, how is the battery changed?
Victor Maletic.

Oh that’s great to know, thanks!

I used double sided tape to adhere the back of the contact sensor housing to my 3d printed enclosure. I just pry the back off and the battery is exposed. It’s not the cleanest design in the world. I may make a brand new enclosure that will simplify everything

Very good . Thanks.