Miserable Wyze bulbs

So, is anyone else having problems with Wyze bulbs not being reliable? They connected for a while (after fiddling with the setup multiple times) and now they’re not connecting again.
None of the cameras or sensors have issues…so far.
I’ve tried with 2 different Adroid phones and with an iPad.
They connect when I have them NEXT to the router but when I put them in place (all near other Wyze devices, so I know there’s no problem with my router…and yes they’re on the 2.4g network) they stop working. I guess I could just leave them all next to the router but that kind of defeats the purpose of the things.
Other Smart bulbs work fine in the same locations.
Anyone want to but 3 bulbs cheap? Otherwise I’m going to just toss them. I don’t have the time or patience to keep fiddling with them.

I wish I could help. I’ve had 2 out of my original four going since they were first released and they only ever dropped off one time way back when they were fairly new and I think that was due to a Wyze app update. One is in the next room from the router and the other is a two rooms away, but I haven’t had problems. I don’t do anything with my router for 2.4 or 5ghz since it’s all on one SSID and the router selects devices automatically based on the device and the location.

2 Likes

I use 6 bulbs on a regular basis, never a issue

4 Likes

I have 12 bulbs used daily no problems. Some on motion sensor, some on contact sensor and some on schedules. Never failed me yet.

4 Likes

You have to remember that you bought wifi bulbs from software engineers. So one product working means nothing as far as another. But are they in or close to any kind of metal? I know with the cams (or any other little wifi antenna), any kind of metal close to them screws up the signal.

1 Like

Mine are all in pocket lights in the ceiling

1 Like

I’ll take them. :+1: Please define “cheap”.

2 Likes

How many other wifi devices do you have in the 2.4 GHz system? Adding the extra bulbs may put you over the limit to what your router/modem can handle and the bulbs were the weakest link and were dropped. What router are you using? Whatever phone/tablet device YOU are using shouldn’t matter, it’s the connection your devices have to the router if you got then setup correctly at one point.

I’d say investigate your router/modem situation before tossing your bulbs.

10 Likes

^^^ THIS ^^^
:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Mine work fine. The only problems I have is when people in my household use the antiquated light switches on the wall to turn them off, leaving my app to tell me the bulbs are OFFLINE and I can’t operate them!

1 Like

And one of the many reasons I went with in the box wifi switches, where the manual switch still works as before, so it’s a either or thing now.

2 Likes

There’s numerous possible scenarios, but as with all technology… user error is typically number one.

Equipment failure, environmental(s) issues are a distant 2…3rd.

3 Likes

General question- is there a priority in router connections based on age of connection? IE: does the last item added get lower priority than the first installed when you begin to max out? That’s s topic I haven’t run across before and I’m curious. I guess not really directly related to this post…,

2 Likes

Absolutely agree here. Look at Mesh systems if this turns out to be your situation. I had the same problem maxing out my ISP provided box, switched to mesh and no more problems.

1 Like

I was making a guess based on what the OP was saying. I was thinking it may be a combo of signal strength and data usage? Total guess since the OP said it worked next to the router but once moved it no longer worked, and they have several other Wyze devices, two phones and an iPad using the same wifi (also guess). We’ll need the OP to tell us what router/modem or equipment they are using to narrow it down for sure.

2 Likes

Agree - Walt and see.

1 Like

My Linksys router allows me to raise priority of connections. I presently have 23 devices connected. No issues.

2 Likes

I have a Netgear Orbi system with 46 devices connected. 34 on 2.4gz

1 Like

@tsmyles what router/wifi system do you have? That’ll help trouble shoot your issues.

2 Likes

I was having the same problem. I di a update on my router and I have not had the problem since.

1 Like