MicroSD event recording not working for me

I formatted and tested the event recording once on the MicrosSD card. Since then it is just not working. I am able to manually record on the card but when not home no events are triggering I have a Cam plus Trial left on my camera which is spotty too. It is not working at moment because the app is finicky about deciding if I have a subscription or not. It is pointing to the street which cars come and go and triggers the motion event which worked fine with Cam + subscription when the app recognized it it. I really like the the thought of just recording events on the card and reviewing them regularly. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Not sure yet but keep in mind that local SD card events are seen by going to a particular camera and clicking View Playback. This is entirely separate from the Events tab, which represents "cloud* stored recordings (typically covering the same motion events).

1 Like

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum @adrian.khalili!

Local Recording to the SD card is controlled thru the Cam Settings :gear: Advance Settings. Since you want the cam to only save the recordings containing motion onto the SD Card, you would select Events Only.

The number of events you can fit onto the SD Card before the cam automatically overwrites the oldest video 1 minute at a time is dependant on:

• GB size of the SD Card
  • Length of each motion event video
  • Recorded Video Quality (HD\SD)

As @Customer already indicated, access to SD Recorded Video is only thru the app View Playback bar at the bottom of the cam Live Stream or the Playback Disk Icon at the bottom of an Event Video\Thumbnail in the Events Tab (cloud saved).

That is exactly what I have done and it is not working. I am giving this back anyway. I got a 2-pack for a lot lower price. What do you I need Camp + if I am doing sd recording.

It is possible also that there is an issue with a failed\failing SD card.

I have had several that needed to be replaced because they were low quality and did not last.

If you only want the SD Card recordings, then CamPlus or CamPlus Lite are not Services you would need to subscribe to.

1 Like

the issue is not SD otherwise it would not record when you press the record button and used to work. No errors ever! Camera is the culprit.

The record button you mention occurs in two places.

The first is in the Live Stream screen (screenshot). Pressing this will record a video clip of the live stream and save it to your device drive (phone, tablet etc.)

The second record button is located in the View Playback SD footage screen. This will record a short clip of what it is playing from the SD Card and again save it to the device drive.

The arrow indicates how to tell if your device is recording to the SD. If you have shaded areas in the timeline, or if you change the date to a previous date and see shaded areas, it is recording.

If it is not recording, I would very highly suggest inserting a new High Endurance SD Card and testing your recording. If your original card was not High Endurance, it is entirely possible it has failed.

If you have another confirmed operational card from another Cam to swap into it, I would do that first.

Failing SD cards are more common than one would think. Especially if they are not High Endurance Cards.

2 Likes

Yep, that looks to be the problem.

1 Like

The SD card never recorded 12 second clips. 12 second clips are specific to CamPlus Lite and are recorded to the cloud server accessible from the Events Tab.

The SD Card footage, accessible only thru the Playback option, will record either Continuous or Motion Events. The Motion events recorded to the SD will be saved in 1 minute increments so long as there is motion within that minute. The SD Recording and Playback has never been nor is it currently restricted by any subscription plan.

Upon reinstall, once the trial appears, if you close the app then reopen, it will not assign the trial to the cam and you will then be able to reassign the cam to your CamPlus Lite Subscription in Account → Services.

3 Likes

@SlabSlayer has it. This is just the age old confusion on where to find SD recordings versus the Events tab.

2 Likes

The Events tab and settings for Events have nearly nothing to do with SD recordings, which are primarily accessed under View Playback while opening a particular camera.

@Customer is correct.

Everything in the Events Tab is CLOUD based and is dependant on your Subscription.

Everything in the Event Recording settings is for CLOUD based Event Recordings dependant on your Subscription.

Everything in the Notifications settings is for CLOUD based Events Notifications dependant on your Subscription.

The ONLY settings for the SD Recording are in the Advanced Settings. You can only choose to toggle ON the SD recording and then choose Continuous Recording or Events Only.

The ONLY way to access the video that has been recorded to the SD card is to press the PLAYBACK bar in the Live Stream or the PLAYBACK SD CARD ICON when viewing a CLOUD Event Video:

These SD Card Recording Settings have absolutely no affect whatsoever on anything in the Events tab, the subscription status, or the Events Notifications.

If you deleted the cam, you must go into your Account → Services, go to the CamPlus Lite tab, click the (+) add cams, and reassign the cam back to CamPlus Lite to get the 12s video back in the Events Tab. Again, these 12s videos are NOT the SD card video. They are a completely seperate recording in the cloud.

My cams are all set to Continuous and are recording at the exact same capacity in full HD as they did previously.

If you have your SD recording set to Events Only, The space used will be affected by the number of cam activations due to motion which is a function of the sensitivity setting. This setting may have been reset to a default with the firmware update.

Additionally, if your cam was previously recording in SD video quality and was reset to HD video quality by the firmware update, it will use twice the space as the previous SD quality video. This setting can also be reverted to conserve the SD Card space.

5 Likes

Can you please be a bit more clear on what your wanting to accomplish? You have to pay for cloud recordings, that’s how it works. If you try to play a cloud recording, it tells you to pay.

If you want to use the SD card, you can ignore the stuff that requires you to pay, and just use the SD card.

Does that clear things up? Let us know if you have any other questions, and we will try our best to help :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Or, you know, try reading what we’re writing. Lite has nothing to do with SD recording.

So what it sounds like it is doing is that after you assign the Cam to CamPlus Lite in the Account → Services tab, the Events tab isn’t actually updating with the CamPlus Lite settings.

This does happen on occasion after a firmware update when you have rest the cam to it’s subscription like you have done multipe times.

We need to get the Cam, the App, and the server all on the same CamPlus Lite sheet of music. To do this, we are going to force the App and the Cam to reload the server settings on a clean slate:

1. Verify that you app is the most up to date version.
  2. Verify that your firmware is also up to date.
  3. Verify that the cam has been assigned to CamPlus Lite and is listed under the CamPlus Lite banner in the Services area.
  4. Go to Account → App Settings and click Clear beside “Cache File Size”.
  5. Go back to Account and click “Sign Out”, then “OK”
  6. Close the app.
  7. Force Close the app from your OS dialog (different for Android vs iOS)
  8. Unplug the cam for 15 to 30 seconds. Then plug the cam back in and give it time to reboot.
  9. Log back into the app.
  10. Go to the settings for the cam and verify that your Event Recording and Smart Detection (Person) are set as you want them.
  11. Go to your Notification Settings and verify that your Person and All Other Motion settings are set the way you want them.
  12. Create a motion event in front of the cam to test.

If everything reset properly, you should get a 12s video from your motion event as per your Event Recording settings and a Notification as per your notification settings.

Opening the Event Video should play the 12s video from the cloud rather than give you a CamPlus pop-up.

After completing these steps, if you get different results, please provide a detailed description of what you are getting and post screenshots.

Good luck! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like