Meteor Alert! Late July 2021, before dawn, Delta Aquariids. Then the Perseids in August!

Not too early to start planning your V3 camera outside placement for viewing the Delta Aquariids in late July, Especially if you are in the Southern USA (or maybe Africa, Latin or South America, but we all know Wyze doesn’t sell there YET!)

***At this shower’s peak on or near July 27-30, 2021, the rather faint Delta Aquariid meteors will fall most abundantly in the predawn hours, though in the glaring light of a waning gibbous moon. **

*Never fear. You’ll still be seeing Delta Aquariids when the Perseids peak in August. Like the Eta Aquariids in May, the Delta Aquariid meteor shower in July favors the Southern Hemisphere and tropical latitudes in the Northern Hemisphere. It’s well viewed from latitudes like the southern U.S. **

**These faint meteors appear to radiate from near the star Skat aka Delta in the constellation Aquarius the Water Bearer. The maximum hourly rate can reach 15 to 20 meteors in a dark sky. The nominal peak is around July 27-30, but, unlike many meteor showers, the Delta Aquariids lack a very definite peak. Instead, these medium-speed meteors ramble along fairly steadily throughout late July and early August. **

**You’ll see plenty of Delta Aquariids mixed in with Perseids, if you’re watching in early August, and from a southerly latitude. An hour or two before dawn is usually the best time to watch the Delta Aquariids." EarthSky | EarthSky’s 2021 meteor shower guide

Unfortunately, I’m up North, so I’m going to look forward to seeing Delta Aquariids meteors other V3 sky watchers catch. I’ll still try to catch some DA meteors. Why? Because I]m addicted and have a V3 camera that can capture all kinds of things in the dark night sky.

But read on about the Perseids coming in August!

5 Likes

However, the Perseids should be spectacular for lots of us this year, according to EarthSky’s meteor shower guide.

Late evening to dawn on August 11, 12 and 13, 2021, Perseids

2021 is a great year for the Perseids! The waxing crescent moon will set at early evening, providing dark skies. Start watching for these meteors in early August. Their numbers will gradually increase. Predicted peak in 2021: the night of August 11-12, but try the nights before and after, too, from late night until dawn . The Perseid meteor shower is perhaps the most beloved meteor shower of the year for the Northern Hemisphere. It’s a rich meteor shower, and it’s steady. These swift and bright meteors radiate from a point in the constellation Perseus the Hero. As with all meteor shower radiant points, you don’t need to know Perseus to watch the shower. Instead, the meteors appear in all parts of the sky. These meteors frequently leave persistent trains. Perseid meteors tend to strengthen in number as late night deepens into midnight. The shower typically produce the most meteors in the wee hours before dawn.

4 Likes

Anyone get anything? My whole state is covered by canada wildfire smoke so we can bearly see down the street let alone the sky… Hoping it clears for the Perseids.

Nothing of note. Sky has been cloud-covered, raining or hazy due to wildfires.

I did capture something strange in the night sky a couple of weeks ago. No tail. Just a really bright flash in the center of the screen.

Don’t think it was a meteor, but have no idea what it was. Need an opinion as to what it was. I don’t believe it was a plane or a bird. Viewing playback, it only occurred once. @Bam?

Perseids are just gearing up. Should be a lot of them in August! Moon should be right for the peak around the 11th. Now if only the clouds and haze cooperate.

3 Likes

I see a VERY slight downward left trajectory to the flash, so I’m wondering if you didn’t capture the extremely rare event of a meteor coming almost straight towards you.

3 Likes

I see that too! Nice catch.

2 Likes

Yikes! I have to double check my home insurance and see if I’m insured against meteor strikes! :laughing:

I appreciate the opinions. I’d heard about a “straight on” meteor video before. Makes sense.

I’m looking forward to seeing what others capture during the upcoming Perseids.

1 Like