Maximum Length of Cable?

What is the maximum length of the USB-microUSB cable?

There is no specific maximum. The longer the cable, the thicker gauge internal wires are necessary to prevent voltage drop. I can tell you that the 15’ cable from Monoprice linked below is adequate:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307&p_id=13939&seq=1&format=2

If you need a cable longer than that, you will have to try to determine if it is of sufficient gauge to prevent too much of a voltage drop. Use a voltage drop calculator such as this one:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwjPypqQ4L7aAhUNuVkKHX84AlEQFjABegQIABA3&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.calculator.net%2Fvoltage-drop-calculator.html&usg=AOvVaw3UML_4o9IuHNw7s05iYynq

1 Like

I recently went thru the same max length exercise, cuz I wanted a longer USB cable RATHER THAN a bigger whole to cut (to get thru the big plug of an extension cord).

I beLIEve the total max length is 16.4 feet, UNLESS you get an “Active” USB cable. This product from Amazon… https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KY9M51O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 gave me the 21 or so total feet I needed. The camera works great.

The “active” part is about getting data transmission to work over longer distances. Not really relevant for just power transmission as being used for the Wyzecam. The info for the cable you link actually says “Not recommended for charging devices such as a smartphone”. I don’t see any spec listed for AWG wire gauge for the power wires, but if it’s working for your Wyzecam, it’s probably fine.

Assuming I understand what you’re talking about - I use a 25’ cable for one of my cameras. It’s working great:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0763358FV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this cable, however when I plugged it into the camera, a portion of the USB sticks out (the metallic" head which is strange.

I’m having trouble picturing what you’re describing. Could you take a photo and post it here?

If it were me, I would install an electrical receptacle closer to the camera location if possible. If not possible, run an extension cord. Extending the USB cable over long distances is not advisable over about 9 to 15 meters (30 to 50 feet), using electrical principle formulas, you can calculate the wire gauge over distance vs. voltage drop. The longer the distance, the larger the gauge (lower gauge number) of the wire, in order to prevent voltage drop (power loss) to the camera(s) being powered.

Thanx and 73’

Tuna

Since my locations are quite possibly temporary, I’ve been going with the cheap Wallyworld extension cords.

Another issue you might have with a long usb power cord is that it will act like an antenna since it isn’t shielded. If you have someone with a cb or maybe an electrical motor or fluorescent light ballast that is generating RF noise, that long usb wire might pick some of it up and make interference or video problems.

I have a 33 foot cable and it works fine.

3 Likes

If you are using a regular cable ( max length of 5 meters for 2.0 and max length of 3 meters for 3.0/3.1). However, with an active cable , then the maximum length for USB 2.0 is 25 meters (about 82 feet) and the maximum recommended length for USB 3.0/3.1 is 15 meters (about 49 feet). This is more about data transmission, like files or a drive hooked to a computer or keyboard / mouse extension. There are USB extenders that convert to a CAT5 or CAT6 cable, however, you must look for one that keeps the voltage at 5volts or this will not work. This is more about power than data. But CAT5/6 will get you a 100ft or more in some cases.

I use 25 and 32ft micro usb cables with no issues

We use 50’ usb cord for each of the 4 cameras we have and no issues at all.

3 Likes

What 50’ cord did you use? I can’t find any that aren’t marketed as extensions.

This may be a silly question but when you are calculating voltage drop (I tried to use that calculator that was linked above) are you all using North American 120V? In Australia we have 240V so that mean more voltage is going to get to the end?

I’ve found a good spot for my Wyze cam under my front verandah. There are steel beams under the awning which can magnetically hold it and the view is perfect (it is also completely shielded from the elements). I’m going to still put it in a weatherproof case more so I can drill the whole thing either into the steel or the brick for securing it down.

The total distance is about 12m (with some slack). About 3m I can get by extending the AC outlet with a standard extension cord. But I bought a 20ft and 33ft MicroUSB extension off eBay yesterday

Does the higher starting voltage we get down here basically negate this issue with these distances? The cables I bought are similar to what has been posted and they were advertised for Wyze, Yi, etc.

120/240V is just going to the USB adapter.
It’s 5V USB in both Countries going to the camera.

Hi, my question is, if I am going to run a long cable to the camera, why do i need WIFI? Why not run it into a network switch / router, and set it up as a hard system?
Is there a gui access to the camera to change settings ? Can the camera be accessed via telnet, or ssh? Is there default username password?

There is none of the above.

Welcome to the community, @gxsterrestrial. They are WiFi only cameras. The USB cables included with the cameras are power-only for that reason. It you plugin the following words into the forum search, you will find some POE #wishlist requests. :slight_smile:

#wishlist poe