MaxDrive by Wyze (Cancelled)

EDIT: As some of you may have already heard, MaxDrive has been cancelled due to the partnership falling through. We are still planning to have NAS capability in the future but that feature will be delayed after this. We’re sorry about this and we’ll keep you updated as we make progress on a new solution.

Hi, everyone!

We’ve been receiving questions about MaxDrive and we’re getting closer to the launch time. We wanted to take the time to answer some of the questions you’ve had and talk about how MaxDrive works with Wyze.

What is it?

MaxDrive is a personal cloud device that will allow you to backup footage from your Wyze Cam and files from your personal devices (phone, tablet, or personal computer) and access the data from anywhere.

How does it work?

• Wyze Cam Footage
    • Link a Wyze Cam using the Wyze app
    • View the saved footage as Playback through the Wyze App
  • Personal Data (Pictures, Video, Music, and Documents)
    • Backup mobile devices using the MaxDrive mobile app (Android/iOS)
    • Backup personal computers using the MaxDrive desktop app (PC/Mac)

What are the specs?

• Enclosure Specs
    • Internet Connectivity: Gigabit Ethernet Port x1
    • Drive Connection: SATA 3.0 x1
    • Processor: Marvell ARMADA Dual-core 1.0 GHz
    • RAM: 512MB
  • Internal Drive
    • Supports up to 12TB drives
    • Supports 2.5” & 3.5” SATA 3.0 HDD & SSD internal drives

What you need to know before getting started:

• Supported Wyze Devices:
    • Wyze Cam v2
    • Wyze Cam Pan
  • Wyze Cam backup requires a microSD card to be in the selected camera.
  • MaxDrive does not come with an internal drive and one is required for use of this product.
  • Computer backup is performed through the MaxDrive desktop app.

Want to be a tester?

Information on becoming a Beta tester can be found here: https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014108531-Become-a-Beta-Tester
There is currently a wait list for hardware testing. But if you are interested in testing Wyze hardware in the future, please sign up.

I look forward to chatting with everyone!

Update 4/16: We’re going to do an AMA for the MaxDrive by Wyze. This AMA will be scheduled from 1PM to 2PM PST on Friday the 19th. We would like to gather questions in advance in case you aren’t able to make it and to make sure we are getting to answer as many questions as possible.

Send us your questions here: https://forms.gle/WRkQ1USLYFzfcM197

Update 4/25:
Hey all,

We’ve got some unfortunate news for those that were interested in MaxDrive. MaxDrive is being delayed from the targeted Q2 release date and we are currently uncertain of how long the delay will be.

As many of you know, at Wyze we focus on building great products efficiently. To do this, we leverage resources from global partners when possible.

Our partner for MaxDrive has faced an unexpected delay that requires them to shift their resources.

We’ll continue to work on features that will allow you to store videos locally to a NAS drive and keep you updated as the project develops with Max Drive or a new solution.

Thank you!

I will be catching up on replies to this forum post throughout the day to get everyone’s questions answered!

31 Likes

Sounds great, looking forward to Wyze MaxDrive. I sure would like to be a Beta Tester and have filled out an application.

Thanks for listening to your customers.

7 Likes

MaxDrive sounds very interesting, but I’m trying to decide which would be better for me if/when rtsp comes.

1 Like

Maxdrive vs rtsp is two different functions. Very simplistically, Maxdrive is a backup for the existing files on the SD card. So the camera still handles the motion triggering, live stream rhrough the cloud when remote, etc. RTSP connects the cameras stream over your LAN to a central camera software. That software handles motion detection, capturing clips, broadcasting the stream to your phone, etc.

6 Likes

Man thats a lot of RAM :wink:

5 Likes

thanks. I mainly want a central storage location for all cameras. It sounds like the Maxdrive would accomplish this but RTSP may be better considering all the functions that would be gained. Although, Wyze has been killing it by adding more & more functionality. I would prefer to continue to use the Wyze app, but I suppose I could have the best of both worlds by using the Wyze app AND using RTSP.

4 Likes

I’m inclined to agree with you. I rather use RTSP with my existing software instead of coming out of pocket for another device.

Thank you for your support!

3 Likes

RTSP and MaxDrive will help with different use cases. I believe @prjct92eh2 summed up the basics, but it is also worth mention that MaxDrive will not require a separate firmware in order for a camera to interact with it. The discussion for RTSP can be continues on its forum post Here.

Thank you for your feedback, we always love to hear how people are using our devices!

5 Likes

ALL OF THE RAM!!! We really wanted to make sure it could handle anything you could throw at it.

Thanks for catching that, I will update it to be correct :joy:

4 Likes

Will you be able to access the video files directly to download to a computer?

6 Likes

There will be a MaxDrive Desktop app for PC/Mac computers that will allow you to access any Wyze footage on the drive.

15 Likes

I think it’s important to define what you’re hoping to accomplish. If you want to back up existing SD recordings so that you can retain your videos for longer than the SD card capacity allows, then MaxDrive will work for you. If you’re hoping to have a central recording station so that you don’t loose clips when a camera is stolen, then MaxDrive will not accomplish this and a central RTSP recording software may be better.

1 Like

Actually, when fully released, MaxDrive will live-transfer the video to the drive and no longer need an SD card. Since the camera transfers in one-minute segments, the video on the drive could be a minute behind. Not quite live, but pretty close. The bad guy would have about a minute after getting in to find and remove the camera.

6 Likes

This is correct, we may not have that feature up when the product launches but it is on the Roadmap for it, so if not available day 1 it will be in future!

7 Likes

Understood. But I never buy IoT products based on future features. Only those currently available. Which I guess for the MaxDrice is none :stuck_out_tongue: No offense to Wyze, just have been burned in the past by Kickstarters, startups (ahem SmartThings), etc.

4 Likes

This looks like a really great option to add to my cameras. Do you know how many cameras it will support?

4 Likes

@MaxS As an early adopter (from late 2017) I have a number of V1 cameras. Will MaxDrive be available for V1 cameras as well? I would prefer to avoid replacing all my V1 cameras for V2 just to have access to MaxDrive.

2 Likes

Since MaxDrive will be sold WITHOUT a drive can Wyze publish a list of drives KNOWN to work?

I’d like to avoid the SD card fiasco.

3 Likes