MAC Address changed?

I have this issue. We have several cams monitored for uptime with icinga2.
This alerts us if any of the cams go down, something important for the terrible service in electrical distribution here (El Salvador), especially now that we’re coming into the rainy season and improper shielding everywhere causes outtages and spikes.

So- I have our network monitor sending a ping every few mins to each IP address.

Our like in any DHCP server, these IP assignments are MAC based. Sometimes, some cameras are showing with different MAC addresses, making the cams seem unavailable.

Options:
a) Use BOTH potential mac addresses to assign the IP’s, and look into the possibility for icinga to monitor a host that has an “eith/or” address (as I probably can’t assign a single fixed assigned ip based on two separate MAC addresses.

b) Assign the IP info manually in the camera (this removes flexibility for administering the net).

1. Is there anything in the works to resolve the mac address not getting masked on some boots?

2. How would I find the two possible mac addresses for the cam, without waiting for it to “maybe boot with the unmasked mac address?”

Thanks for opinions or news!

Jon Q

Wyze update, related:

I came across this today in very similar circumstances to Guilherme above. My Fingbox alerted me to a new device joining the network, I simultaneously got a Fingbox alert that my garage Wyze Cam was down. After a few moments of thinking I’d been hacked, I figured it out. The new MAC address was completely different and Fingbox incorrectly reported the new device as a Samsung Phone which only heightened my concern as we’re an iPhone household.

This was on a Pan Cam running 4.10.3.65 (and Beta app),

I had the same issue and since I didn’t know what new mac address joined by networked, I blocked and ended up finding that my wyze cam was no longer online. After unblocking
the mac address, my wyze cam came back online.

It went from
MAC Address/OUI: A4:DA:22
Vendor: IEEE Registration Authority

To

The new mac address vendor is now showing “NovaElec”
MAC Address/OUI: C8:02:8F
Vendor: Nova Electronics (Shanghai) Co., Ltd.

Yep, that’s the classic firmware bug, all right. Your A4DA22 is an early Wyze address sometimes listed as “IEEE Registration Authority”. After that they went to 2CAA8E, which more properly crosses to Wyze Labs. When the bug appears, the camera shows the address of its Nova Electronics network card instead.

The Nova address should always be overwritten by the firmware, but sometimes that doesn’t happen. And it can happen anytime, not just at boot. They are both valid addresses for the camera though, so if anyone sees the bug (until they fix it) the solution is to unblock both MAC addresses.

There was a recent post that said Wyze may have second-sourced the network card to SHENZHEN RF-LINK TECHNOLOGY. If true, that name may appear as well.

1 Like

I’ve just come across the same problem. The Wyze app and camera label show a MAC of A4:DA:22. The router and the Fing app show a MAC of C0:6D:1A. It is a V1 Wyze camera. I have power reset the camera several times.
Any ideas?

Still happens in the RTSP build as well - other users pointed me to it and I validated it as well - happens at random right now (not sure if it occurs when a DHCP lease expires or the camera reboots for some magical reason).

A simple fix would be to allow us to manually assign the IP address of the camera…such a basic feature should be fairly easy to implement but I digress:

Just encountered this issue. While RTSP is somewhat supported by Wyze you get all of these unexpected bugs creeping through.

This still seems to be an issue in 2023… My cameras keep switching to a dynamic IP instead of the static IP assigned to the MAC address. When I reboot the cams, they will pick up the assigned IP and then after a day, it switches to a different MAC and gets a different IP. So frustrating.