Looking for a powerbank, with pass-through charging and always-on features

I want to keep an eye on answers to this thread too. If anyone suggests a good option, I might also buy one to try with a V3 and charge it with a big solar panel. I’ve been thinking about this for a while, but I haven’t actually done it. It is hard to find a good Battery that can do always on and pass-through charging without costing an insane amount.

4 Likes

Yes solar panels at the beginning and end of day can chatter their outputs, so REALLY important to have an ‘always on’ here! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I want this too as a small DC UPS but apparently it heats up the battery and can be dangerous. It’s been discussed on the forum a bunch of times.

I’ve found RAVPower mentioned many times in my search, but when I go to their product page it redirects me to a different Canadian site that does not sell power banks but instead different types of smart appliances and other wireless products like headphones. Unfortunately I don’t think they sell to Canada.

I confirmed that amazon.ca doesn’t carry RavPower and then followed a random (searched) comment to the Voltaic brand…

https://www.amazon.ca/Voltaic-Systems-Battery-Samsung-Android/dp/B07ZS3WYZY/

I’ve purchased a couple of USB UPS units, but I doubt either has the capacity you are looking for. The first one has only 2600mAh capacity (and has an annoying short captive USB-A to micro USB cable). The second one has a USB-A male to female cable that allows it to be used with a devices original cable, but even it only touts 3000mAh capacity.

I discussed that latest unit here:

…and the earlier unit (now used for my Blink Sync Module) here:

There are larger capacity units, but they tend to cost as much or more as the Wyze camera itself.

2 Likes

I found this but US link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N7ZQ68Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_CKFKBZJ5YFBGQT3QVT85?pldnSite=1

Not currently available in Canada sadly, but might be useful to some of you.

Apparently sold out in the US too:

1 Like

Good idea with the screenshot! Some poor soul is going to come here in a year or two from now and just find dead amazon links.

It’s a shame it’s out of stock, I’ve been browsing some raspberry pi discussion boards to see if they have any solutions. I’m hoping these communities might have some solutions.

1 Like

Thanks @LonnieM , I hadn’t seen that post. (I recall your misgivings about the first, lower powered one.) 12 bucks is cheap but I’m going to wait on your bleeding edge review on this. :slight_smile:

There must be a reason these are so hard to find.

We use the brand ROSS 60000 THE big 1 it will run 1 V3 for 3 days with no issues,then we have a 20 watt fast charger that goes to 9vdc to charge it back up in about 5 hrs,a standard charger would take 11 hrs

I have a RAVPower 32000 mAh power bank as a backup for my Hubitat Elevation hub. If the Hubitat hub loses power, the database can become corrupted, causing my lights, locks, routines, and schedules to flake out. It has been connected in series with the hub for about 6 months. I can verify it supplies voltage while accepting voltage and the hub stays powered when input voltage is lost. I graphed the output with a USB meter. The voltage did not waver a bit when power was removed and reconnected.

Bought mine on Amazon but they had a falling out.

4 Likes

With Amazon, “falling out” typically means “caught bribing customers with free stuff in exchange for positive reviews”. It’s up to each of us to decide how much that matters. There have been some very nice manufacturers banned over the last couple of years. It’s a pity.

Edit: the specs on the linked model don’t mention pass through?

2 Likes

I have a few of there power banks,there all-new series thatwill charge back up with hi power 5,9,12 vdc in out,it will charge my Samsung to full in 1.2 hrs at 9vdc

1 Like

The RAVPower mentions it on their blog and why they provide the feature, the ZMI one mentions it on the amazon page.

1 Like

Thank you. I guess this is the entry you’re talking about, from 3 years ago. They do warn about overheating and specifically mention 3 models.

2 Likes

Couldn’t you replace that light with a Wyze bulb and just leave that switch on all the time?

I have tried smart bulbs in the past, and I don’t really get the appeal of remotely turning the bulb on and off. Most my switches are by entries/exits so when I walk by them I can turn them on/off without even thinking about it. Don’t need to fiddle with my phone and don’t need to fiddle with an app.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08GKTZHKW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one ended up working for me, the power is interrupted when it switches from live power to battery but does turn back on by iteself.

1 Like

I have this one…bought it for a T-mobile home internet gateway which I no longer have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089SQFCBW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

2 Likes