Longer Event Video Lengths

waste of money in its current 12 second capture.

2 Likes

I just purchased the cam and 12 sec Alert video is too short. I get to see the garage door open but that is it, I cannot see who walks in. If server storage is the issue then shorten the length that of time the data stays online - configurable option of course. Other than that, the camera is cool.

• Jim
2 Likes

+1 for longer alert video.

I realize there has to be some kind of limit, but ideally the alert would also have an option to record either 30 seconds or x number of seconds after motion stops, whichever is longer.

The length of the alert recording determines the delay between motion detection and your notification (12 seconds later vs 30+ seconds later), so it’s a trade-off between immediate notification and longer recording.

If we’re talking about a potential thief/vandal situation where the camera itself is stolen/destroyed then recording and uploading multiple small clips would be best to ensure at least one of the clips gets uploaded before the camera loses power.

I imagine all these settings are already in place (just preset and not exposed to the end user) so it shouldn’t take much effort to add more “advanced” options. Throwing it into an Advanced menu would preserve the clean UI for typical users but wouldn’t deter those of us who need more control.

3 Likes

Agreed. There should be an option for 15/30 seconds. I am glad that it starts recording a few seconds before the incident happens.

3 Likes

I think the 5 minutes “cooldown” is far too long.

12 Likes

Please also see (and vote for) this similar topic:

1 Like

I hope everyone realizes that a longer alert means you don’t get the notice until later. Let’s say someone comes to your door. Currently, you get a few seconds recorded before the motion is triggered and then several seconds after. So you get the notice maybe 5 seconds after they knock or ring the bell. If the alert is 30 seconds, they’ll be standing at your door for 25 seconds or more before the alert is even finished recording, then it’s sent, then you watch it… So, a couple minutes can go by before you even reply.

They can’t send the push notice early because everyone would be trying to watch an alert video that hasn’t even finished recording the full 30 seconds, let alone get shipped up to the cloud. I like my 12 second alert videos.

With respect the original suggestion of enabling optional authenticated RTSP or RTSP/TLS to use for on local network security solutions: +1, This would be a big win for us without adding to wyze aws storage. It is just a micro-nix on MIPS deployment.

1 Like

As much as I would love to see a user-selectable event timer (i.e. I can choose how long my event clips will be up to, say, 1 min) I understand this would have a massive impact to the free cloud storage.

An alternative I would be more than happy to see would be adding event markers to the timeline so I can see where my events are in my continuous recording. It would also be great if longer event recordings were saved to the SD card directly while keeping the 12 second recording on the cloud.

Just my .02

3 Likes

There is a #roadmap for that: (Don’t forget to vote at the top of the page)

If you have an SD card in the camera, that already happens with either event recording or continuous. There are #roadmap that ask to go directly to that point in the playback from the Event record. I wrote up a summary here:

Don’t forget to vote at the top of the page of that #roadmap.

2 Likes

Focusing on the basic request to increase the length of the captured event video in cloud, I think some slight user tuning would go a long way. Even if the tuning balances the event length with the days in the cloud (14 currently), or some total cloud time (time per event * events per day * days in cloud). My use case is a slow garage door. Cam inside garage captures the garage door coming about half way up with perhaps 2 seconds pre-event, then 10 seconds of garage door rising, and typically no view of what happens next. Being able to add several seconds to the captured video would make the difference. I’d be happy to cut my 14 days to 7 days and double the captured video if the Cam could handle it.
Please don’t diss my garage door opener; the apt owns it, not me and I can’t replace it. It ain’t pretty but it works and it is really old. Kind of a tortise, slow but steady.

There is another request for NAS integration. If the alert was just a locator and a bit of text then the actual alert would be configured by the NAS owner and the cool down would go away as well. Perhaps that would also solve the requests for tagging alerts on the playback function.

2 Likes

12 seconds is to short a time for video , especially if you have the ptz cam.
I’d like to see an option where the user can set the duration of the video recording if a cam picks up motion. I know it can be done , so Wyze can you please make this happen ?

1 Like

I’d love to be able to link my Wyze cams to write alerts to a NAS and record those there - is there any consideration for a plug-in for Synology to do something like this? That way, you can offload all of my alerts from your cloud to my NAS (or whever - AWS, etc) and I can set a recording time longer than 12 seconds.

1 Like

First of all I just say I love everything the team at Wyze is doing. But with all we love there are always some little things that could be improved.
There are times(incidents) where the 12 sec recoding is just not enough. A good 20-30 secs would be an amazing addition.

Now I understand the impact it could cause to the server on such an increase. Yet, could it be an option for longer recording time directly to the local storage?
Example: 12secs to the cloud by default.
20-30secs to the sd card(settings option)

Hope this could happen,
Thanks again for all your doing. Keep up the great work!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ignore Motion Detection for events under 1s

The videos saved to the microSD card are a minimum of 1 minute long and have no cooldown time. So Playback does have the compromise you’re looking for already! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m using the SD card and the 5 minute cool down for alerts still appears to be active. With events recorded to the SD card I get no motion alerts unless 5 minutes have passed since the last alert.

Welcome to the community, @pcjm. Alert notifications are not sent for events saved on the SD card.

The 12-second cloud stored clips and the SD card storage are separate and independent. They are set up and viewed in different areas of the app.

For the SD card storage, go to the camera settings, then Advanced Settings > Local Storage. That is where you set the SD card to record continuously or event-only (1 minute segments).

To view the SD card recordings, don’t tap the Events tab in the app. That is only for the cloud clips. Instead, tap the View Playback button on the live stream view. How you’ll see a timeline under thevideo frame so you can go back in time. You can also remove the card from the camera and view or download the 1-minute video files on a computer.

Here are some help pages from the Support site:

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022669931-Event-Recordings-Push-Notifications

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022500271-MicroSD-Card-Playback-and-Time-Lapse

1 Like

Thanks. I’m familiar with how to setup the SD card and view it but I fail to see how alerts would be tied to the storage type used. So if I use local storage and it detects motion I don’t get any push alerts? Seems pretty awful for any security device to not always alert.