Longer Event Video Lengths

There is a #roadmap for that: (Don’t forget to vote at the top of the page)

If you have an SD card in the camera, that already happens with either event recording or continuous. There are #roadmap that ask to go directly to that point in the playback from the Event record. I wrote up a summary here:

Don’t forget to vote at the top of the page of that #roadmap.

2 Likes

Focusing on the basic request to increase the length of the captured event video in cloud, I think some slight user tuning would go a long way. Even if the tuning balances the event length with the days in the cloud (14 currently), or some total cloud time (time per event * events per day * days in cloud). My use case is a slow garage door. Cam inside garage captures the garage door coming about half way up with perhaps 2 seconds pre-event, then 10 seconds of garage door rising, and typically no view of what happens next. Being able to add several seconds to the captured video would make the difference. I’d be happy to cut my 14 days to 7 days and double the captured video if the Cam could handle it.
Please don’t diss my garage door opener; the apt owns it, not me and I can’t replace it. It ain’t pretty but it works and it is really old. Kind of a tortise, slow but steady.

There is another request for NAS integration. If the alert was just a locator and a bit of text then the actual alert would be configured by the NAS owner and the cool down would go away as well. Perhaps that would also solve the requests for tagging alerts on the playback function.

2 Likes

12 seconds is to short a time for video , especially if you have the ptz cam.
I’d like to see an option where the user can set the duration of the video recording if a cam picks up motion. I know it can be done , so Wyze can you please make this happen ?

1 Like

I’d love to be able to link my Wyze cams to write alerts to a NAS and record those there - is there any consideration for a plug-in for Synology to do something like this? That way, you can offload all of my alerts from your cloud to my NAS (or whever - AWS, etc) and I can set a recording time longer than 12 seconds.

1 Like

First of all I just say I love everything the team at Wyze is doing. But with all we love there are always some little things that could be improved.
There are times(incidents) where the 12 sec recoding is just not enough. A good 20-30 secs would be an amazing addition.

Now I understand the impact it could cause to the server on such an increase. Yet, could it be an option for longer recording time directly to the local storage?
Example: 12secs to the cloud by default.
20-30secs to the sd card(settings option)

Hope this could happen,
Thanks again for all your doing. Keep up the great work!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ignore Motion Detection for events under 1s

The videos saved to the microSD card are a minimum of 1 minute long and have no cooldown time. So Playback does have the compromise you’re looking for already! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m using the SD card and the 5 minute cool down for alerts still appears to be active. With events recorded to the SD card I get no motion alerts unless 5 minutes have passed since the last alert.

Welcome to the community, @pcjm. Alert notifications are not sent for events saved on the SD card.

The 12-second cloud stored clips and the SD card storage are separate and independent. They are set up and viewed in different areas of the app.

For the SD card storage, go to the camera settings, then Advanced Settings > Local Storage. That is where you set the SD card to record continuously or event-only (1 minute segments).

To view the SD card recordings, don’t tap the Events tab in the app. That is only for the cloud clips. Instead, tap the View Playback button on the live stream view. How you’ll see a timeline under thevideo frame so you can go back in time. You can also remove the card from the camera and view or download the 1-minute video files on a computer.

Here are some help pages from the Support site:

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022669931-Event-Recordings-Push-Notifications

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022500271-MicroSD-Card-Playback-and-Time-Lapse

1 Like

Thanks. I’m familiar with how to setup the SD card and view it but I fail to see how alerts would be tied to the storage type used. So if I use local storage and it detects motion I don’t get any push alerts? Seems pretty awful for any security device to not always alert.

The push notifications are generated by the cloud when a video is uploaded. That’s why they are pushed for Event videos but not for videos recorded solely to the microSD card.

1 Like

The 14-day cloud storage is intended as a way to know when events have occured, allowing users to check the SD card for further review. This is why it is recommended to install SD cards in the cameras. At this time unfortunately, there is still a five minute cooldown period between each type (motion and sound) of notification. There is a #roadmap item under development right now that will hopefully alleviate that.

The current Wyze cameras are not sold or marketed as security devices. They are sold as smart cameras. Please see Section 3 (Limited warranty and disclaimers) of the “Terms of Service

1 Like

For the love of GOD…yes, and YES PLEASE! I get that it’s a “notification”, but if I’m already not recording 24/7 for the health of my SD card, the recording should last as long as the movement is detected. Now, let’s say we keep it at 12 clips up to 2 weeks for free (I personally delete my videos almost immediately if I have no use of them saving Wyze space on their servers) that would be ok for me if I could tell my Wyze cam to record movement until it stops to my SD card and/or my own personal cloud HD at my house.

2 Likes

Why not offer a variable video length based on if motion is still detected - like Nest does? A bug flying by at night might produce a 5-second video, whereas someone peeping into windows could produce a 30-second video. The average length of all clips would still be around 12-seconds thereby not increasing Wyze’s cloud storage bill considerably.

3 Likes

Paying for a feature is a slippery slope and something I would like to avoid, so paying for a shorter cool down or longer clips seem like a bad idea. Why not make an option in the app, An option of either 14 days free storage of 12 sec clips with a 5 min cool down OR (X) amount of free storage space with programmable cool downs and clip sizes. Then Wyze could add the option to upgrade cloud storage space past the free amount for a monthly subscription. This would be balanced across the board and allow people to only pay for what they need. This would allow Wyze to make money while bringing the newest feature to long time supporters who chose Wyze solely for the lack of monthly subscriptions.

2 Likes

Great idea! A 30 second event would make these cameras great. 12 sec is too short, and a non action stop would save cloud storage for Wyze

I agree… make the current (X-amount) free storage space user configurable. For instance, longer clips or shorter cool-down periods (in which less clips would be stored or clips would be purged out sooner than 14-days). I have purchased five cameras so far strictly for the “free” storage and will be very disappointed if that option is removed. It would be very nice if the user had more flexibility with how their free storage space is used.

1 Like

I just started using the motion sensor, I wish there was an option to adjust the sensitivity

1 Like

I just bought this Wyze camera. The camera is great considering its price.

The 12 sec video is too short and 5 min cooling period is ridiculously long.

Each user should be given a free amount of X GB of cloud data. Then it is up to each user to configure their recording time and cooling down period.

Yeah yeah I know the length and cooling period affects the size and bandwidth of AWS.

3 Likes