Location trigger in 2.23 Beta

@QiS location trigger did not work. Submitted log 257250.

Expected it between 5:30pm and 6:15pm Eastern Time. Also note, when I left my Location Permissions were set to while using app, I then switched it to All the time to see if the rules fire when it returns, but it did not.

Nothing in my Rules History

These are two triggers

These are the actual rules for you to review

1 Like

Couple of questions:

1. What OS are you running?
  2. What did you set your Rules up as?
  3. What is your location permissions set to?
1 Like

You might be right! Even though I already gave permission for Wyze to always monitor my location, and already had the persistent notification, I tried your suggestion and enabled the ā€œRunning in the backgroundā€ option. I made no other changes since last night and tried again. This time it worked!

It seems like that might be the key. It will need more testing turning it on and off and seeing if there is consistency to be sure, but so far your idea is promising.

2 Likes

Iā€™m still playing with mine because although I had that on, I had the permission in the phone set to location only when the app is being actively used and open. Thatā€™s one thing I didnā€™t think of so I just changed that and Iā€™ll be testing more tomorrow.

Glad you got something working cuz Iā€™m having shady luck on my end and I know itā€™s something Iā€™m doing

1 Like

I just thought of something I can try. Even though I have ā€œrunning in the backgroundā€ enabled in the app, I have the persistent notification (notifications manager) disabled. I like to keep my statusbar clean so it bugs me to see the notification. I just enabled it, Iā€™ll test at lunch to see if it makes any difference.

Screenshot_20210723-101214

1 Like

@carverofchoice @Ken.S @spamoni We have found the reason why the location trigger in Android cannot be triggered, and we are working on it.

8 Likes

Love it when you guys post back with even the smallest and most minuscule of updates. Itā€™s very encouraging for all involved. Thank you!

6 Likes

Thank you for your feedback, Your participation makes the product better.

2 Likes

Indeed, we are happy to help, and honestly we benefit from helping you guys too. Still, you, @QiS , are my favorite Wyze team to help out with beta projects because of how awesome you are with communication on your projects. For that reason, I help extra whenever I see the project is something you are working on because I am so confident I am not just wasting my time. I see your name on a project and I know what I am doing and sharing is actually taken seriously and looked into or at least that you are actually aware of what we report regardless of the outcome. I know I am not alone in feeling that way. You should really be one of the biggest employee spotlights one of these days, at least from the perspective of many of us who love the way you interact, look into and communicate so well with us. The way you handle your Beta stuff here is exactly what we beta forum members expect and hope to see. There are other teams who have disappointed us, but yours has been doing awesome! Keep up the great work, we very much appreciate you and we are happy to help you where we can. Thank you.

4 Likes

I echo this as well. @QiS , you have been awesome and very thorough in your help and suggestions. I know, when you are involved, something is actually going to get done. Keep up the great work.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this Ken, some techno geek I am, I have been trying to figure out for months how to minimize or hide those persistent notifications from apps, including from Wyze. They drive me insane because I also like to keep my status bar clean. It bugs me so much that I previously disabled the option and disabled several other apps because they wouldnā€™t let me hide them in the minimized and silent area.

Now that I read your post I hurried and unselected all those options to finally hide them. Iā€™m going to test with that off and now see if it makes a difference with this new location feature and I will report if it still works for me.

Seriously, I feel like an idiot searching for months and not finding a way to do it, I kept looking for some ā€œminimizeā€ option. I didnā€™t think about disabling something because I wanted to still receive notifications, I just didnā€™t want a full 3 line size persistent block annoying the crap out of my OCPD.

I should point out that @spamoni gave me another good option you might want to try if you are going to leave it on. In notification settings you can tell Android to hide silent notifications in status bar, and at least then the persistent notification wonā€™t show up in the status bar as a notification and keep making you wonder if you have a new wyze notification or not:

So consider giving that a try too.

2 Likes

Yeah, during this change I noticed the minimize option, when I turned it on it eliminated the icon from the statusbar and makes it a single line on the notification shadeā€¦ much happier with this. I swear I tried this on Android 11 and the icon was still there.

Screenshot_20210723-173015

2 Likes

WHAT?!?! Are you seriously telling me I can set it to minimize now?! Are you running Android 12 Beta 3 or something? Is that where they finally fixed this issue? Iā€™ve been trying to minimize that thing for ages! I am still on Android 11, but if youā€™re telling me 12 Beta allows me to do this I might go upgrade!

Yes, Iā€™m on Android 12 beta 3. I was surprised too when I saw the icon disappear.

2 Likes

Itā€™s almost August, so I might just wait for the 12 Release Candidate to drop in August so that it finally has all the final APIā€™s and is essentially the final versionā€¦I do have some critical Business apps that is the only hesitation I haveā€¦but I am now very excited to switch to Android 12. I didnā€™t have that notification issue in 8 or 9 or whatever my Note 8 got up to, it only started as soon as I jumped to Android 11, and I hated it. So glad theyā€™re fixing this in 12! I mean, I donā€™t mind Wyze (or certain others) having constant access to things, but donā€™t constantly show it in my status bar and a HUGE notification in my notification shade. I only want important things to take up that much space, not something I already know and agreed to ages agoā€¦sheesh. Now I feel better I can enjoy this new location feature without Android annoying me about it constantly. Thank you for the happy hope. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would like to try this feature my email is [Mod Edit]

Thank you in advance

Mod Note: Personal email removed for security reasons.

You can send a private message by clicking his or her user ID. Youā€™ve just posted your address on a public web siteā€¦

2 Likes

How do I confirm if Iā€™m on the new rules engine? I remember something about this a while back but donā€™t know which engine Iā€™m on.

How to tell if youā€™re on the New Rule Engine:

2 Likes

I had a successful run of my Location Based Rule. I am running Android 12 beta on Pixel 3 XL. Android 12 has has been friendly to Wyze throughout the beta so far. App running in background. I made it turn some lights on at the front of the house. Nothing else.

Location is set to ā€œAllowed all the timeā€ for Wyze app.