Ideas for local network control of Wyze devices when internet down

Not really an answer to this, but Kasa TP-Link plugs work without an internet connection. You can also use scripts to control most of them from a pc. There is also a Home Assistant integration for them.

2 Likes

Agree, I can’t believe this one doesn’t have more votes. I had an outage today and I can’t reach any of my plugs or bulbs. The camera works which is great, but I wouldn’t mind having to buy a central bridge just to keep all my rules and devices when there is an internet outage.

Please feel free to conflagrate this post if a previous one on this topic already exist.

I’m without internet for a day and I was able to confirm that I can watch my camera via the intranet without internet except the Wyze app won’t run without authenticating to the account first.
There should be an option for local authentication for (panaroid) users who want to check their cams locally/offline.

This is an absolute MUST and should on Wyzes top priority list of things to implement.

Once again my internet connection is down and has been for a few days. ISP has no power to the WIFI tower they use. I know that local control is possible because I have another brand of plugs that still work via that vendors app when no internet is available. (App even shows the plugs as “Local Only.”)

Come on, Wyze…

3 Likes

I had 11 Wyze outlets. With the pandemic my local cable node is overloaded and the internet frequently goes up and down. When this occurs I had random multiple plugs not resetting making me do the blinking blue plug/replug dance. I reached my limit and replaced all with TP-Link Kasa HS-105s. The Kasa product has no issue with internet outages and have control over local network along with sunrise/sunset scheduling options. I would go back to Wyze if they would make a product with competing features. Unfortunately for us, I think their resources are dedicated to product expansion and not enhancing the legacy products. Especially when I see they have a new plug in the works with bluetooth control.

1 Like

I have the Kasa products as well and really appreciate the ability to control them when my internet connection is down and also via various scripts (python and others) with DomoticZ and Home Assistant.

2 Likes

Yes, this is huge!

Control devices from network when internet is out or AWS services are out

I am absolutely flabbergasted that this is not already a feature, and am seriously disappointed that I didn’t know wyze devices ALWAYS need internet.
We NEED the ability to control our devices (thermostat, plugs, etc…) when we are connected to the same network as the devices. AWS goes down sometimes and our internet goes down sometimes. How am I supposed to control them when this happens?

3 Likes

Yes please! Wyze please get us local control. Otherwise another AWS outage and my family is going to be fed up with not being able to turn the lights on and that’s it for my Wyze purchases, and I have been around since the beginning.

Make Wyze devices work on local wifi network if cellphone is also on the local network

Due to the AWS outage, I have this request to re-design Wyze products to operate without using the internet IF the cellphone and devices are on the SAME wifi network.

I have never understood why companies put so much emphasis on using the internet for local use. If Wyze were smart, they would do something that probably nobody else does. They use Mac addresses. When you set up your device with your phone, let the phone build a catalog of devices on your phone. When your phone is on the same wifi net as the devices, they stream back and forth locally. The devices can still periodically heartbeat to the cloud so the servers are aware the devices are online. When your phone leaves your wifi network and switches to cellular or another network, THEN the phone notifies the Wyze servers and then it can stream via the internet. Just think of how much bandwidth is saved by taking the internet out of the loop until it is needed. Then, for those that have a home when there isn’t any internet, they can simply set up a wifi router and still use your devices without the internet. Then the system is more solid, your local net will be faster to access your camera and a file on the SD card. Then, if Amazon has a hiccup, you will still be able to access your devices while you are home. That is what makes this outage so frustrating: You’re at home, your local wifi is working, you can even access the internet. But, because an outside server is down, a device you are holding in your hand right next to your phone, doesn’t work.

I was such a fan of the Wyze cam I decided to give the thermostat and plugs a chance. Never thought I wouldn’t be able to control them from my local network if there is an AWS outage. My TP-Link kasa plugs can still be controlled when my internet goes out. It shouldn’t be that hard to implement. Why is it that every company is so dependent on Amazon?

After yesterday’s AWS outage I’m surprised this has not gotten more attention.

Add local control ability to app I did a search but it didn’t show this was already here so mod merged it. From viewing live stream on NY V2 cams and db, it’s clear that the app and cams retain WiFi connections. I’m not a coder, but seems the simplest solution is to add the essential functions to the app rather than rely on AWS or external internet access.

When aws or other connection to wyze services is severed or otherwise unavailable, simple but essential tasks such as toggling bulbs and plugs on/off is no longer available. Add a fallback to local control option in the app so these can at least be toggled on/off directly via the app. The app is connected to our WiFi and the devices are as well - not sure but maybe some even use Bluetooth locally. Therefore it should be a rather simple chore to add the code to the app for these devices.

Still listed as “maybe-later”. :frowning:

This seems the proper if neglected thread for all the MANY recent clamorings for local control after two successive and prolonged Amazon AWS outages and cleanup periods.

Just noticed that TP-Link seems to be doing it mostly right already:

See also interesting digging at:

All my camera’s and doorbell after resetting are now working but my thermostat will no longer connect. Reset multiple times along with no help from Wyze Support. I had to re-install my old thermostat so I could heat my house during winter. Almost a week later decided to re-install yesterday to see if it would finally fully connect and set up. No luck. I have owned many thermostats. Horrible design that the thermostat will not work without initial set up connection with the phone app. Leave people in the position of not being able to use their thermostat even manually until you all get this connection issue figured out. I am pretty much ready to move on to another reputable company.

This should be a higher priority. With the recent AWS outage, it took over 24 hours for some of my bulbs to come back online. Had I known the bulbs require the internet to work, I would not have bought any and will not buy any more until I see this feature. Local control on the same network should not be hard to implement at least for basic on/off features from the app.

3 Likes

Wyze Ecosystem Local Control

I have around 15 Wyze Switches in my home and all but 2 are setup for ‘Smart Control’ of Wyze Bulbs. We lost our Internet connection and only the 2 switches setup for ‘Classic Control’ (regular light bulbs) continued to work without an Internet connection. Not being able to turn on or off your lights is a quick way to make Wyze a bad word to the non-techies in the home! Can you please add local control!?

2 Likes

Control Outlets or Switches when Internet is down

I have a router separate from my internet modem. When the modem stops working and I want to reboot it I have to and physically unplug it. I added a WYSE outlet, but without an internet connection I can’t power cycle it. I tried a different outlet by TPLink/Kasa and without the internet I can power cycle that outlet. So that tells me it is possible to be able to do this from just the app on your home network where the device is connected but without internet.

It would be a great feature to add the ability via the app to do basic on and off with WYSE devices if there is not internet connection, but you are on the same network as the device.

Thanks,

Ken

[Mod Note]: Your request was merged to this topic for consistency in grouping similar requests. Please remember to scroll up to the top and click the VOTE button. You may also wish to comment on and/or vote for Ability to use app WITHOUT internet.

1 Like

Local Authentication or Trusted device

It is my understanding that currently all authentication runs through the wyze app and/or servers. I would like there be a way to have at least 1 device authorized locally. The reason being that a storm can and has knocked out our ISP for days despite us having LAN which leaves us unable to connect to any of our WYZE products if we don’t have cellular Wi-Fi. Imagine being disabled (as I am) and having the remote deadbolt lock, but being unable to unlock it for assistance to get to you. A local trusted device on the same LAN perhaps authenticated by MAC address stored on the device itself could allow a user to still use the device. Maybe even a unique token could be shared between the device and the app on the trusted phone/tablet could be a secondary validation measure. Perhaps someone else has a better way of doing it. I just know i only have one individual with a spare key and should an emergency occur if they are unavailable, EMS would have to break down my door.