Live stream not hooking up to Cellular data

Hello All,

I recently experienced this connectivity issue on my cell phone and may have a solution or at least insight.
TL;DR - IPv6 appears to be causing this issue for live view.

As a passenger in the car with the wife, I received a movement notification and went to check the clip. I could view the online 12 second clip fine, but when I went to try and direct connect for a live view, all my cameras were stuck at step 1/3.
I tried the wife’s phone and it worked. We are both on the same carrier (Rogers in Canada) but my phone is Android 8.1 vs. hers is 10. My background is in IT (infrastructure), so I am used to these types of mysteries.

A couple of year ago I experienced something similar with my Ring doorbell camera and after a bit of experimenting I discovered that setting my phone’s APN to IPv4 only made things work. I tried to do the same this time, but Rogers requires IPv6 on their default APN so that didn’t help. My phone as a second default APN for tethering and that has a different name. I cloned the default APN and took the APN name (ltedata.apn) from the tethering setup and changed the APN protocol to IPv4 only.
My WYZEcams now connect in live view with no issues.

If you are having this issue, I would recommend talking to your cellular provider and asking for ‘IPv4 only APN settings’.

I hope this helps others,
Tim
also posted in Lately, having issues connecting over cellular/LTE, but Wifi works most the time

2 Likes