Leonid Meteor Captured on new Wyze V3 camera!

No worries, you’re welcome @Bam. It’s a good combination to be sure. Agreed about next level… hehehe.

True, he does have a variety of cool gadgets.

1 Like

Here are some upcoming passes for a random location somewhere in Texas. As you can see the predicted brightness, the first number after the date, for any given pass is quite variable.

Date Brightness Start Highest point End Pass type
(mag) Time Alt. Az. Time Alt. Az. Time Alt. Az.
06 Dec -1.4 19:09:11 10° NNW 19:09:59 15° NNW 19:09:59 15° NNW visible
07 Dec -2.3 18:22:01 10° NNW 18:24:34 20° NE 18:25:13 19° NE visible
08 Dec -3.3 19:10:31 10° NW 19:13:49 58° SW 19:13:56 58° SW visible
09 Dec -3.8 18:22:53 10° NW 18:26:13 67° NE 18:29:32 10° SE visible
10 Dec -0.6 19:13:06 10° W 19:15:04 15° SW 19:17:02 10° SSW visible
11 Dec -1.5 18:24:37 10° WNW 18:27:33 28° SW 18:30:29 10° S visible

1 Like

I should have credited https://www.heavens-above.com/ for the data.

1 Like

Appreciate the future explanation (which, by the way, was way over my head), but still, I’m beginning to understand a bit more about how and when to look for the ISS … thanks to you, @Bam and others.

In another thread, I thought I had captured the ISS, but I was on the far “edge” of the track, and the object was dim. The timing, location in the sky, the movement all lead me to believe it was the ISS. (Did you see that thread?)

But wiser Wyze minds proved otherwise.

In that other thread, I posted a link to a website that maintained a historical record, searchable, by minute and seconds since the ISS was launched.

I had my Wyze V3 on “continuous recording” to the sd card. It’s really boring to go through the minute-by-minute SD record looking. But, then again, I was mislead in the other thread, by the historical track of the ISS.

Thanks for the link to Heavens-above.com. I set up an account and discovered I could not only see “future” ISS events … but also click backwards to view “past” events. Great website! (And I’m going back through my “continuous recording” looking to see if I captured anything.

Does ISS Mag (Brightness) get “brighter” the lower the “negative” value is? IE, is -2.9 brighter than -.08?

I recognize that I’m absolutely clueless when it comes to any of this … and now my cluelessness has been exposed to the Wyze world.

But, I’ll keep trying! Thanks again for all your help.

2 Likes

Questions are how we learn and I have absolutely no problem at all helping anyone with any of this nerd stuff :slight_smile:

Ask for your question on magnitude and brightness if I were to articulate it it would be very convoluted and probably not very understandable because I tend to overthink things and explain them in difficult ways sometimes. So I’ll just post this instead :nerd_face:

1 Like

Oh no, I remember something about **negative integers” being positive in math class but I wasn’t paying attention during that lecture either.

So the more negative the negative MAG value, the brighter the object. Two negatives make a positive (except when I’m trying to come up excuses why I screwed up something)

Got it. Thanks.

I gotta start writing this stuff down so I’ll remember it.

2 Likes

yes it can be rather counter intuitive. I remember years ago reading why it was done like that but I don’t remember now…that’s how much that part made an impact on me.

for relativity…here are the brightness levels of the three brightest things in the sky.

At its brightest, the planet Venus has a magnitude of -4.6. The faintest star you can see with your eye has a magnitude of +7.2. How much brighter is Venus than the faintest visible star? 2 – The full moon has a magnitude of -12.6 while the brightness of the sun is about -26.7.

just a wee bit of difference between them lol

2 Likes

Yeah, I pre-ordered from the start and I’m still here with “Shipping November” as status. November is almost over. Maybe I should have entered some contest?

1 Like

so I dont know why but it just popped into my head to share one of my favorite programs/ websites for tracking stars and astrological objects.

im sure some of you might enjoy this. you can just drag and scroll around and fast forward and back up through any point in time.

click the time square in the bottom right to adjust when you are looking…forward or backwards.

but make sure to adjust for your location so the sky is right ( thats in the bottom left)

and simply click on objects in the sky to get information on them, including the international space station and satellites. just search it at the top middle. :slight_smile:

and theres also a full downloadable ( AND FREE) program that gives you far more control.

ENJOY!

3 Likes

Perhaps you ate too much turkey yesterday @Bam and your brain cells were struggling to stay awake (let alone think of cool Astronomy sites to share with the Wyze Community).

I can say without a doubt that I’ll be sucked-into-that-vortex :hole: for a long while looking around and learning more fun-facts (I’ve already bookmarked it).

Thank you for sharing the Stellarium Star Map website :nerd_face:.

2 Likes

Love it @Bam. Bookmarked and will get the iPhone app.

I found this site that lists all the 2020/2021 Meteor Shower events … including the Geminids Meteor Shower which will soon peak Dec. 13-14, 2020 (thanks @Omgitstony for tipping me off about the Geminids.)

Meteor Shower Calendar 2020-2021 - American Meteor Society (amsmeteors.org)

Maybe one of the moderators should make a sticky containing meteor shower events. Just a thought. But a lot of Wyze users are going to be blown away with the V3s Starlight Sensor ability to capture the skies.

2 Likes

I’ll also post a weblink to one of my fav astro sites. This is more of a past action sites where folks that have a good “shooting star” sighting can log in and report their sighting, and if a few report it, the software narrows it down to where it actually occurred. I also use it to see if there are any in my area (add filters to narrow it down to state, # of reports etc.), then if one is in the direction of one of my sky cameras and fairly nearby, i’ll look for it on my cam. Unfortunately no dice yet, but i haven’t had the V3s before now aimed at the sky. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

What I’m really looking forward to is the fact that thousands of V3s are soon to be pointed into the heavens.

Can’t wait to see what other Wyze users are able to capture in the dark skies.

Also great that the V3s will be spread across North America (and soon the world).

If something’s out there, one of us is bound to have a clear sky and a V3 to capture an amazing video and post it! @WyzeDongsheng

2 Likes

Thanks for the link! Neat site

1 Like

Woah.