Leak Sensor Feedback

+1 Informative @MrRat

Appreciate everyone’s response!

The other brand sensor I already have for The sump pump in the basement Now , has temperature and humidity Sensor ( which I really wanted to have down there ) plus A probe for The floor By the sump pump, I think this is the best setup For me And that Particular situation , It does also have temperature and humidity readout on the sensor which , I don’t think Is really necessary, an alarm would be nice but I don’t think it’s really necessary.

The fact that I can get an alert in an app instead of just Something beeping is great , I can also set it to send an email message Which is a good feature ,

I have tried so many different systems for my sump pump.

On my current set-up, I have the probe suspended inches above the “float depth” of the sump pump so that I get an early warning when (not if, when) the pump fails or the float jams.

The probe wire is about 2.5 foot long, so that it can extend deep into the sump pump hole. The long wire allows me to mount the sensor so that the sensor stays high and dry.

An early warning of a problem is necessary because once the sump pump hole overflows, it’s too late to react before the damage begins … particularly if you have a finished basement.

You know I was thinking that Maybe I should poke the probe down in the hole Some, Last time my sump pump failed years ago , I had 4 and a half inches of water down there Before I knew it , It is unfinished basement , but things got messed up down there.
2 cameras And sensor down there now

Probe would be great to be able to get into smaller areas like behind the dishwasher. App notifications with a red icon of some sort would be great.

1 Like

Air conditioning condensation tray and plenum.

In Texas a lot of air conditioners are installed in the attic and have a drip/tray/float/drain arrangement.Should the tray overfill water will soak sheet rock in the ceiling.

if the Z coil in the attic freezes due to low refrigerant levels it begins to spew ice in the plenum carying the water damage to other adjacent rooms.

2 Likes

If you do stick down hole, loosely drape probe wire around sump pump discharge, then double tape probe with painter tape at desired depth pipe … which for me is a couple inches above the sump pump float “high” level. Like I said, I’m not really happy with my current set-up, particularly the alert system. I also don’t have the “warm fuzzies” for the current company like I do for WYZE. I love WYZE’s committment to caring, listening and communicating with its customers. No doubt in my mind that WYZE would disrupt the water detector market so I hope they pursue a water detector.

1 Like

Probe or no probe: As long as there wouldn’t be any connection issue with a non-probe style for cases such as down in a sump pump well to monitor water level, then i think the non probe would be fine.

In-unit siren vs app alert: I feel like an external siren would be best as well as app alert. Some areas I would want to monitor are in the basement and would make it hard to hear upstairs. An external one that I could place upstairs would be better as then my wife and kids could hear it as they don’t use the app. I am not always home or in the state as I travel about once a month for work. So them being able to hear it in a situation where i’m not able to get the app alert in time (on a plane, in a bad/no signal area, in a meeting, etc.).

My use cases:
in sump pump well - basement (monitor water level to know if pump has failed)
under water heater - basement (leak detection)
under washing machine - 1st floor (leak detection)
behind kids bathroom toilet - 2nd floor (leak detection)
next to basement floor drain - basement (drain backup detection)
on the dehumidifier bucket - 2nd floor (want to know when it’s full and need to empty)

3 Likes

I’ve had a dozen different types of water detectors, some with built in sirens. Problem with all of them is the sirens aren’t very loud … and also sirens run down the battery quickly. You also can’t hear the siren when you are not home (which, in my experience, is when the water usually springs a leak).

If Wyze was going to think about a siren, I’d prefer a WYZE system stand alone siren that could be triggered by WYZE cameras, sensors, motion detectors and yes, the new water sensor. The siren should be a wired siren, that will be ear splitting loud enough to wake up every occupant in the house from a deep sleep.

Lots of folks have requested a siren hook up. I think the only siren that is going to be loud enough … and ring long enough … needs to be plugged into electricity and tripped by your cameras, sensors and motion detectors.

6 Likes

This is pretty loud but it’s not in the Basement

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_33&products_id=390

It’s hooked to this https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=292

if wyze could come up with a system like this that I could view in an app it would be fabulous

Would also mount one under every sink, (had a pipe burst last year while out) cost to repair $24,000 had I been notified early on I could have returned home sooner. Also will mount one in my sump pump crock to know if the pump is not working. App alert and a local siren would be GREAT!

I’d definitely like these. I don’t necessarily have a need for a probe, but if it were optional, that’d be great as I could see others needing it. I have 4 in my basement with another system currently and twice have had water leaks. I would love to have one under every sink, etc., if it were affordable enough… that’s the only reason I don’t have more now. I know a number of people who’ve had very expensive water leaks that could’ve been much less had they been caught sooner, with a detector. I would not want an onboard siren, but a separate one that would work with any of the other sensors or cameras might be nice. A special, distinct notification sound from the app would be icing on the cake as I’d hate to miss that notification.

Something really cheap, so I could place several at little cost. I’d put at least 1 in the laundry room, which also has the water heater. 1 under each sink, 1 near each toilet and tub/shower, and a few in places that could potentially get wet due to water coming in from heavy rains. I don’t see any of these necessarilly needing an alarm or remote probe. Though if the alarm barely affected the cost and size, it could be a nice bonus feature.

I would like to have a probe with at least a 12 inch lead. I would really like to use this as a sump pump alarm.
The float switch on the sump for keeping my basement dry sticks once in a while and it would be really nice to have a notice so I can go down and kick the pump before I get water all over the basement.

1 Like

In flatland Ohio most everyone has a leak sensor for a basement sump. In this case it is nice to have a cable that you can use to hang the sensor into the sump so you can catch it before the water is in your basement floor. Also kinda like the siren to wake me up.

I have a pretty large Reef Tank, so floods/leaks are somewhat inevitable to some degree. Something small for sure to get to the right places, good range - as they are often buried away are also important. Depth vs a binary “Leak/No Leak” would also be pretty cool!

Would use at below-grade backdoor. Currently have an outdated D-Link with probe under entry rug. The current “beeping” with App notifications is more than enough to alert us if water.

If the sensors communicate to the hub attached to the camera then I’d propose the sensor have no alert onboard to keep size and cost down but instead sound the alarm from the camera(s) itself.

As for probe, seems like most scenarios (washer, sink, toilet, fridge, etc) do not require a probe as the device itself (assuming its size of contact switch) is small enough. I do see people who want to monitor a sump pump and want an alert BEFORE it overflows and probably wouldn’t want their sensor submerged in the tank to detect “full”. I don’t have one of these but seems like a good use case for a remote probe. Perhaps you start a centralized list for people to add where they would use a integrated probe sensor and where they would use a probed sensor. Besides sump pump (and dog bowl, ha) not sure how many other critical use cases there are. Key word there critical. My $0.02.

1 Like

I have one next to my fish tank on the floor, it was in the basement by the water heater. I’d love to put a few in the basement by bathroom fixtures we don’t always use.