Leak Sensor Feedback

Hello everyone! We are in the early stages of working to add a leak sensor to the Wyze Sense portfolio and would love your feedback to help define the device’s requirements. Our initial plan is for the Leak to function similar to the contact and motion sense products but we want to best understand how you plan to use the product.

In a typical scenario, the Leak sensor will be placed under a sink/pipe/appliance to detect a water leak. It will work under similar protocol to the current Sense products and you will be able to program alerts to notify you of a leak.

Would you prefer the sensor come with a probe for tough to reach places? Any specific size requirements?
How important would an in-unit siren be in addition to app alerts?
For what unique use cases do you hope to use the sensor?

Any additional thoughts? Feel free to join the discussion.

25 Likes

Nice, I know a lot of people would be happy to see this. I would use under my kitchen sink, I currently have a basic small unit with a small siren. I would be happy with just app alerts, and keep it small in size. Keep costs low :grin:.

Good to see Wyze continuing to listen to their customers!

7 Likes

Would plan to place under my water heater and near my sump crock. Obviously smaller the better but definitely not the biggest concern of mine. I would be happy with in app/phone alerts only.

6 Likes

I need to be able to deploy them to server rooms. I envision sticking one on each rack with a probe that reaches the floor. They will need to be able to notify multiple people. We usually use email distribution lists for this.

An alarm would be welcome as an additional device that could be used with all sensors and as a door bell.

6 Likes

I have 2 leak sensors currently from other companies, one is just a block you set where you want to detect water, the other is a block you can mount and then a probe runs to the area you want to monitor. Having used both the one with the probe is more versatile and can be used in places you cant get the other style in.

TL/DR I would prefer a version with a probe due to being a bit more versatile

6 Likes

My current water sensors also report temp and humidity in addition to detecting water. Some of the current sensors have to ablity to detect from both the top and bottom of the sensor. The alarm could be useful but want to keep good battery life in mind. Currently get about 1 year battery life from my sensors.

1 Like

Compact with probes would be my preference.

A separate siren would also be preferable since I would place these all in the same general area to monitor my water heater, washer, sinks, dishwasher, etc. If multiple sensors could trigger a single siren mounted in my kitchen I would be more likely to hear it than one tucked under a sink with the sensor.

3 Likes

Two things:

1. Range might be an issue if it is being placed under a sink so increase antenna compared to the motion and contact.

2. If it has an audible alarm would be great to have the cameras programmed to listen out for this frequency similar to the CO and smoke. That would also help to address the first concern.

7 Likes

An audible alert would be nice but I doubt loud enough for me to hear from my basement.

I’d use it to monitor my boiler and hot water heater. Not familiar with current other offerings in this area.

I’m more interested in a temperature sensor that responds to Alexa request for current temp. And selling bridges separately as my coverage area is big but I don’t need more contact/motion sensors. A bit off topic but the more Wyze people I see my desires the better!

Can’t think of a reason for a probe for hard to reach crevices. The size of a contact sensor or sense motion sensor would more than suffice.

A built in alarm though would be very useful. Alerting or broadcasting on other Wyze devices as well.

2 Likes

I would use it to monitor my sump well for over filling. I would also use it to monitor all of my water heaters and my air conditioner condenser units for leaks.

5 Likes

I would love something like this! I’d put them under my bathroom and kitchen sinks, in the laundry room near the washer, and somewhere in the area where all my plumbing meets (exposed in my basement). Also put one near my water heater.
Just alerts on my phone would be great, however maybe a central, separate siren device as an optional purchase might be a nice addition to the entire Sense family.
As for size and requirements, simple, small, low cost.

2 Likes

I would like to see one that can be used without a probe, but also has a plug-in/removeable probe option.

5 Likes

Also casting my vote for a remote sensor for use in a sump well. Also would be using one in a furnace condensate pump.

Something I’d like to see is the ability to select from either a wet or dry contact state. One way I used a moisture sensor is normally underwater in a pet water bowl to tell me if the water level gets low.

6 Likes

I would use it for the following:

Sump well - In case the sump pump fails.
Under the washing machine.
Under the water heater.
Under the fridge - Ice/water dispenser has failed on mine before.

If the unit is small enough, no probe would be required (For me).

Internal siren not needed, but Wyze should come up with a separate siren unit for everything to interact with - That would be cool!!!

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, since you’re asking for feedback I don’t think this is something that would interest me. The most useful purpose for me would be if I had a sump pump, to know if that went out/failed, in which case I don’t think an audible alarm would be necessary, but would only require notification (but I don’t have a sump pump…). Otherwise, to put it under every sink or toilet in my house, plus laundry and hot water heater, would seem like overkill, and would require a lot of sensors. (If I had a vacant rental property or vacation home, sure…)

The need for these water sensors is definite. Water damage from aging pipes in homes is one of the most concerning rising costs to insurance companies. With many homes having washing machines on the second floor damage to homes from a leak can be more costly and widespread than when the machines were traditionally in the basement or on a first floor laundry room. I would market the sensors toward that group of homeowners in particular with second floor laundry rooms and older plumbing in their homes. I would not need a probe. My one suggestion would be more on the app side of the sensor. The alert for the water sensor should be audible on the app. We all have so many alerts popping up on our devices and some can be missed. A water alert should not be missed. A sump pump failure flood or continuous water leak can be very costly and lead to mold and other larger issues. Some of my weather apps have these rather annoying sounds that go with the alerts for severe weather and I would suggest a water alert have something like that built into the app.

5 Likes

Hi James. I have experience with water detectors. I think a probe is a necessity to keep sensor high and dry … otherwise if sensor gets wet, it usually shorts out and doesn’t work. Also a probe is necessary to use in my sump pump. You want to stick a probe deep in sump hole so you get notification early before it overflows. Under washers, sinks, water heaters, you want to put the sensor up on the wall and the probe under the device so that after an alert, the probe dries out and resets. If the sensor gets wet, it’s toast. Thanks for asking

7 Likes

I think this would be a great product! Aside from sump pumps, basements, utility rooms, etc, this product could also be used in the opposite way. If the sensor detects if there is water, it could also detect when there isnt any (I’d assume)? Using the probe system, this could be great for knowing when the dog’s water needs to be filled, or maybe even if the plants need to be watered. I could see this product having a lot of “alternative” uses outside the obvious.

In terms of an in-device alarm, the more features the better. However, I’d like the ability to turn that feature off, should I not want to employ it.

I think one of the greater challenges you’d face in the design is how to mount it in a variety of locations. I’d also be interested in how you’re planning to power it. I mean… I’m not sure about anyone else, but I dont have a power outlet under my sink.

2 Likes

+1 informative @Caryten