Last update broke connectivity across 2.4ghz -> 5ghz

Since updating firmware to 4.9.6.19x (currently at 4.9.6.193) I am having issues with connecting from my phone when my phone is connected to the 5ghz home wifi network. I have Asus router that has both 2.4 ghz network (named Asus) and 5gzh (named Asus_5g). Obviously, I prefer connecting my phone to the latter, as it is significantly faster. Up until I installed that firmware update, I have never got problems with connecting to the camera while the phone is connected to Asus_5g. But something changed after the update. Ever since, the camera that I upgraded can only connect if I force my phone to connect to the 2.4ghz one. I have multiple cameras in the house and I have postponed the upgrades to the others due to this issue. I am able to connect to the other cameras (firmware v4.9.6.156) with no problem when my phone is connected to the 5ghz version of the home wifi. I am also able to stream to other devices like Chromecast between the two networks with no problem. Is this a known bug in the latest firmware?

1 Like

Hi @borisv and welcome to the community!
I’ve been using the same setup and haven’t noticed any change. As long as both the 2.4 & 5 Ghz are on the same IP subnet it should be transparrent to the camera.
Try rebooting the router. Something may have got corrupt when the camera reboot w/new firmware.
Remove that camera from the app and reacquiring the connection.

1 Like

Thanks, dr. know. Yes, all of the addresses are on the same subnetwork (standard addresses like 192.168.1.153). I went ahead and upgraded two more of my cameras and indeed they do not demonstrate connectivity issues. I will try resetting this camera later today.

1 Like

Yes, good to hear. There are some cases where a camera hickups and doesn’t complete the update. Then a manual update with uSD card seems to clear things up. Let me know how it goes.

2 Likes

Interestingly, after the latest Wyze Cam firmware updates, the issue seems to be resolved.

1 Like