Landscape View For Tablets

Any word on this from the Wyze Castle?

Seems that you are a screen-orientation gymnast in addition to being a codec shark :shark:

:smile:

1 Like

Agreed… For me it’s a staple to read on my tablet at lunch time. Waaaay easier to just swipe around with a propped up slate than having to hold a device in my greasy :clap:t2: while eating… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

This is an awesome [not so stealthy] shaming!! :smile:

You might’ve left out the part about how folks keep buying wyze cams regardless though. I’m sure you were intending more :carrot: and less stick, but reduced incentive might now be an unintended consequence :joy:

2 Likes

As mentioned above, a real fix for this is going to take a major app rewrite. That’s on the drawing boards (hence the “researching” tag), but it is a ways down the pike.

There is the possibility of a workaround being pushed out (at least for iOS; I don’t know about Android). That could happen in a shorter timeframe if determined to be feasible. It’s being looked into, but again, I don’t have any info on the exact timing.

2 Likes

Thank you for the update; can you please ask the team about the newly-introduced bug where even the multi-camera view doesn’t work in landscape? It only started happening a couple of versions ago but it’s a massive regression and very frustrating. My iPad in its keyboard case is currently propped up permanently on its side because of this bug.

Details here: App no longer works in landscape orientation on iPad

1 Like

I’m not seeing that bug on my iPad. I can still view four cams at a time in landscape using the latest public app and firmware. I’d suggest contacting support about this for your situation.

Does it remain in landscape when you switch the screen off/on again, and/or when you switch between Wyze and another app?

Nope. It reverts to portrait multi-cam view after switching apps and coming back. Please submit a log and make a support request referencing the log number. I will do the same.

A major app rewrite just might be what you need given all the gadgets you now have beyond just cameras. You wouldn’t be the first to do a major revamp of their app because things have evolved.

2 Likes

There will be a complete rewrite of the app somewhere down the road. I just don’t know what the timeframe will be for that.

Just to clarify one thing: I am not a Wyze employee but rather a volunteer moderator for the forum. (This is in the context of the use of “you” in your comment.)

Great, lets hope it’s on a faster track.

Wyze does not want to take our call, then lets call Apple. In my experience the latter always answers, particularly when developers are showing longstanding disregard for customers.

I think Apple should consider within their terms stating to the app developer that if an app can be displayed in landscape mode, then this mode must be implemented.

The above will solve the matter for good.

Wyze has been far too busy developing a business model through which they could secure monthly fees by subscription, rather than improving what they have, particularly outstanding issues which have been lingering for years.

Wyze devs can literally write a secret app into the Wyze app to control a freaking remote control car THAT OPERATES IN LANDSCAPE, but won’t effing make the app fully functional ?!?!

1 Like

And another danged thing Wyze. Even in portrait mode the dang screen only displays one way on my iPad - meaning I can’t rest it and charge it at the same. Tired enough of waiting that I am trying a couple Other brand’s cams. Are we still just on hold on this?

2 Likes

Wyze has spread themselves too thin. Releasing so many products at a time, they are now doing things halfway rather than really great products as before. When Wyze launched product, price, quality was top notch. Software quality has been impacted, small bugs like this landscape view take literally years to correct, live web view been waiting for it to come for months, homekit compatibility never came and more and more subscription services are being added. I was a huge evangelist of Wyze Cams for years to friends and colleagues, currently own 6 of them. Yet other brands have been able to match them on price, features and better software. I think time has come to start looking elsewhere at other brands. It was great while it lasted Wyze!

2 Likes

Yup!!!

I agree 100% I posted something similar to this a while ago.

1 Like

Agreed. It is a sad fact. So far I have tried Eufy for cameras, but not really impressed and they seem on a parallel track with WYZE on their business model. Any others

Damien

I just bought a couple of “blueRams” pan and tilt and they are nice