Landscape View For Tablets

Long time Wyze customer here, probably one of the very first. I was asking about Landscape mode back in early 2018. :thinking:

4 Likes

Yeah, this is an old request… Any hope that we will see a full landscape mode?

1 Like

Hello @oneilldm and welcome to the community.

According to the tag at the top it is in ‘researching’, so there is some hope for it.

5 Likes

It is planned! We just haven’t started the actual development for it yet. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The iOS app should support landscape mode for iPads.

I use my iPad with a keyboard and it’s a real pain having to detach the keyboard to rotate the iPad into portrait position to use the app.

6 Likes

I would think this should actually be a issue fix. It was requested for another app I beta test and in months they had it done.

2 Likes

Samsung and Apple are the top two mobile builders right now… Supporting both platforms seems like great business sense.

1 Like

I’ve resisted setting up cameras and streaming video up until now. I thought I researched pretty well and came to the conclusion that the WYZE cams were a good product at a good price. I do like the product a lot, and I love the idea of a small growing company, but I hate the app. What’s interesting is that WYZE Support directed me to this “wishlist” for landscape support. Since no one on this forum is requesting a feature that has never been developed I’m perplexed by the delay. The feature has been “planned” since Nov 2018! Contract the work out already. I’m curious how many new products WYZE launched since Nov 2018? This speaks volumes about how the company address the needs of it current customers who have already put time and money into their products! Like so many others have commented, this feature is a deal breaker for me. Come on WYZE throw a collage intern some cash and have them figure this out. Your customers would really appreciate it! Hopefully this story makes your next sprint!

5 Likes

This couldn’t be that hard. A real programmer could do it in a couple of days…

It would be a nice feature to add to your already nice app.

Just a button you can click on and it would change from portrait to landscape

3 Likes

My true interest in landscape mode for IPad is multitasking. I won’t ever have my Wyze cameras in HomeKit but it would be great if I could do a split screen multitasking session on my IPad and have the Home app open on the left while I have a multi stream of 2 or 3 cameras running on the right through the Wyze app.

Multitasking like this would sure fill the void of not having HomeKit cameras. Do you think this could be looked at since you are looking into landscape modes?

1 Like

It’s much needed feature.

2 Likes

With due respect, you first posted in November 2018 that it is planned. Have y’all considered moving the UI (or parts of it) into open source?

2 Likes

Not that I have heard at this point but I will share your suggestion with the team.

1 Like

Must confess to feeling the frustration many others have expressed with the request for the app to be truly úniversal. Users have a reasonable expectation that modern apps don’t just fit the iphone app into a larger ipad window in portrait mode. This has been requested since wyze cam launched in 2018. I’m curious as to why this seems such a difficult nut to crack for such an innovative company? No disrespect intended but just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of requests for this feature :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We understand where you’re coming from, Crankster. This would take redesigning a lot of the app so that it would be landscape compatible, from what I’m told. It’s a pretty significant undertaking since we didn’t implement it in the beginning.

3 Likes

Hi Gwendolyn, This is disappointing to hear. I just got a new 12.9 inch iPad and the Wyze app is a joke on this.

I have been patiently waiting and still recommending your cameras and products in hopes that this was in process. I feel that your dev team is taking the easy way out. We made this for a phone and in 2020 we do not think people use anything but a phone.

Ring and Nest figured it out (pre acquisition). Before the iPad came out there were only iPhone apps and within months people had landscape apps working on iPads.

Are you saying this will never happen, still might happen (soonish) or impossible?

I appreciate your efforts here on this and the fact you keep asking.

Edit: BTW your dev team must know how to do coding, Impressive that they whipped up some code for people to use their cams as webcams. Now all we want to do is rotate our iPad 90 degrees :slight_smile:

Regards

4 Likes

Gwendolyn, although your answer is likely correct, the need for such a thing is quite obvious. I know the company is in business to make money but the only way that they make money is by selling more product and that is accomplished by having more good reviews and less criticism

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say that this request falls on deaf ears however, hearing aids might improve their ability to decipher the request properly

2 Likes

This is something that we have in the plan but I don’t know the timing. With everything going on this year, our original plans have been shifted around a fair amount so a redesign that is resource and time-intensive may be shuffled. It’s still something we’re going to do but I apologize for not being able to give a timeline for it.

3 Likes