LAN

Can a v2 cam connect to a LAN?
(Local area network ONLY, not connected to the internet)

Would then my phone/Wyze app (which can connect to the LAN) be able to see the cam?

Yes and no. Internet connectivity is required during the initial setup process. After that, it is possible to view the camera over the LAN without internet connectivity as streaming is point-to-point and does not occur through a server. With internet connectivity unavailable, functions such as cloud storage of alert videos will, of course, not be available.

If the camera is connected to a LAN that is internet connected, the camera will be available to be viewed from outside the LAN for an app logged in with proper credentials. There is no way to turn this off from the camera side, although it could probably be prevented with appropriate firewall settings in the local router.

Thanks Rick

Our office LAN is internal only so there would be no way to set up a Wyze cam.

Yup, unless you can get the office LAN internet connected just long enough to get it set up.

One other thought… you could try to set up another network (you home, for example) with the same SSID, security protocol and password as the office. Set up the camera on that and then take it to the office. Might work.

And one other method that I think would work, but would require purchase of an additional $25 gadget: use a travel router as an intermediary. This is normally used to allow the camera to connect in situations where there’s a web-based landing or login page on public wifi networks. I’ll post the complete instructions below. The basic method is to set the camera up to the travel router’s wifi while the travel router is bridged to a working internet such as your phone’s hotspot. Then disable that hotspot and connect your phone also to the travel router’s wifi. You can then feed the camera video through the travel router, completely bypassing your office LAN.

Here are the details:

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015185552-How-To-Connect-Wyze-Cams-To-WiFi-Networks-With-Portal-Pages

@Loki Does this actually work? With the Wyzecam already setup on the network, if I disconnect internet access I’m no longer able to view the live stream on the camera. Restarting the camera or the app doesn’t change the results.

I can confirm local LAN connectivity because I can successfully download timelapse recordings from the camera, but attempting to view the livestream immediately returns "Please try to power cycle the camera (error code: -90).

I’d like to be able to livestream from the camera over the local wifi/LAN, without wasting Wyze’s bandwidth or my ISP bandwidth allotment.

There are steps in the connection process that do require internet connectivity. But once the stream is going, the bandwidth is contained locally.

Here’s a test you can do to prove this to yourself…

Start streaming with the camera and phone on the same local network. Then disable internet connectivity** (but not the wifi router) and you will see that the stream continues. This shows that while the initial handshake does require internet, the actual streaming is point to point within the network. So as long as you and the camera are on the same local network, you should not have bandwidth concerns.

** If you modem and router are separate, you can disable internet by unplugging just the modem. If they are in one box, then disconnect the source cable (TV cable, phone cable, etc.) from the box.

“once the stream is going” it means a connection is established and you actually have a path between your LAN and your china servers. The firewall rules only kick-in with new connections not established ones.

So what you are saying is: “open the firewall - establish a connection between your wyzecam and our china servers and then your good to go”

The point here is, we want direct LAN connection without exposing my network to an ongoing established connection to your china servers anytime.

I want protection and i dont want a WAN connection, just local. Unless you can make RTSP more than 10 FPS - why cap it at 10FPS?

1 Like

Wow, genius idea! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @gelly035-happy, our servers are not in China. The service provider is from Taiwan but your servers are in US or Canada. Loki is right. We do need to connect to our servers to setup your device. After that, it is possible to connect to your camera without internet. It requires your phone being on the same local network.

1 Like