Keeping an eye on a live alone senior

Thank you I truly appreciate it. Wyze is the only company that has understood and been very kind and understanding of the situation. I emailed approximately 12 home automation companies telling them how important home automation is to the disabled and elderly and that I would love to beta-test products and give feedback from a disabled persons standpoint. Wyze is the ONLY company to work with me. Google got back to me but said that they are so large that the timeline in getting something like this accomplished would take possibly years to get implemented. Wyze reached back out to me within days. And @UserCustomerGwen Has been in communication with me virtually every day. They got me into beta testing but I did have to wait in line as obviously there were people in front of me. And they not only appreciate but seek feedback from me coming from a disabled person standpoint. I’ve seen other disabled people post on here little hacks that they’ve made using Wyze products and it’s so awesome to see the disabled and elderly community come together and share ideas on how we can use these products to enable us to live alone and independently. I commend Wyze for their support and understanding of our situations.

6 Likes

Again-keep us posted. I’ll see any posts to this thread and respond ( not always in a timely fashion😒), but I’ll get there!

2 Likes

Thank you. You’re very kind.

I have motion sensors set up on the hallways and steps to turn on lights.

When motion is detected, you can also use Alexa routines to announce this motion.
I’m using Amazon’s Echo Dot, but you can also choose to have the audible announcement on your phone.

I think it would be very helpful in your situation.

Here is one of my Alexa routines:

Chas

[quote=“paindonthurt, post:4, topic:85369, full:true”]
That’s a good idea Tom the only caveat I would put on that is mine are on 24//7. I am disabled also and I tend to fall a lot so my wife checks in quite frequently to see if I have fallen and need any help. So it’s actually better for us to leave them on all the time. Plus I will point the pan in camera in the direction that I last went, say the hallway or into the bathroom. And if my wife doesn’t see me come out the other end of the hallway or if I’m in the bathroom for a long time she knows there’s an issue. But it just depends on the situation. I’m just glad that people are realizing that home automation is more of a necessity for disabled and elderly people and not just a convenience as most people use it. That’s why I’m so thankful for Wyze because they are making affordable products for disabled people and the elderly can afford.

2 Likes

Awesome thanks for the idea. I’ll try that. I use Alexa now on my phone. I have a theater in basement. I say “going to theater” and the stairs and basement lights turn on. When I’m done and back upstairs I say “leaving theater” and they go off. It’s awesome isn’t. Like I’ve said many times. For some home automation is fun for the rest of us is a necessity. It allows us to feel confident again. Not depending on people all the time.

God Bless

2 Likes

@chasjabber- question for you. I know about the type of Routine you are using-I use almost the identical one for, amusingly enough my front porch motion sensor. However my question is-can you have the Alexa app announce when it is not the open active app on your phone. IE-if my phone is just sitting nearby will it talk to me? Haven’t figured that one out yet-I am on iOS and Siri rules!

1 Like

@tomp

Yes it does announce on my phone. Especially helpful when I’m not home… my sensors talk to me…

“Mailbox has been opened”, “Front Porch Motion Detected”, “Security Back Door Was Opened” etc

However I have a One Plus 7 Pro Awesome Android Phone, I’m not familiar with how Apple works.

Chas

1 Like

Thanks! I figured it out- if I leave my app open in background and tell Alexa to respond to my phone as the device it will talk to me. Very cool. I had just been having her reply to one of my Dots.

3 Likes

I, too, bought the cameras to keep an eye on my 85 year old father who lives alone. The cameras have been nothing short of fantastic. My father feels infinitely more secure knowing I can keep an eye on him. He told me it’s comforting to walk into a room and see the camera’s blue light on, knowing I may be watching.

I have cameras stationed strategically throughout the house so I can track his movements. If I don’t see him on any live feed, I check the events log to see his last movement. Oftentimes, I discover he left the house to run errands. Or he is in the bathroom. In order to protect his privacy, there is no camera in his bedroom, but there is one at the end of the hallway to film him going in and out of his bedroom. Every evening I get the motion alert that he has gone into his bedroom and every morning I wait for the motion alert that he has come out. One scary morning it was almost noon and still no sign of him. I was getting ready to call but he soon appeared. I did call over to find out if there were any problems as to why He was in bed so late. He just said he was tired that morning. So I made sure to keep an extra close eye on him throughout the day.

I know privacy might be an issue for some, but I definitely wouldn’t want to block out any sound or views. Because if my Dad cried out I would be able to hear it on the video. If I get a sound alert in only one room, meaning it’s not the phone ringing, I definitely check it out to listen what it was. As for being able to clearly see him, I can notice any irregularities with his walking or movements. Strange facial expressions, such as grimacing. I wouldn’t want that image to be blurred. Moreover, one time I was able to help him fix his computer by viewing the messages on the screen and walking him through what he needed to do.

5 Likes

You’re awesome to your dad! We disabled and elderly have become more independent. Wyze has seen that and is producing products that can be afforded on a limited income. It helps the family feel better too. I can’t say how great this thread has warmed my heart. I’ve tried to get home automation companies to understand this demographic but it always fell on deaf ears. Except one company. Wyze! They were the only ones to respond and ask questions and seek how to improve devices for those of us that NEED them. @UserCustomerGwen has been wonderful.

God Bless you @Nickster

5 Likes

That’s kind of you to say. Thank you.

I originally got my father a medical alert button to wear in case he fell or otherwise needed help, but for whatever reason he absolutely would not carry it around with him; it remained on the charger. I had to find another solution. That’s when I came across the wyze cameras. And while the cameras do have their issues (choppy recorded playback and A/V sync issues), I still think their price point and features make them the best thing going on the market for indoor cameras. And perfect for monitoring activity in the home.

I wish WYZE would make a battery operated line to use outside. Unfortunately I had to go with a different brand for those.

1 Like

Wyze is this coming out with a battery operated outdoor camera. it should be released sometime this year.

@UserCustomerGwen Would know more about timeline and all of that information

1 Like

Good to know about the outdoor cameras. Thanks

1 Like

There are many options for adding battery and solar power to run the current cams you can find some info/ discussion here: Solar Panels
I’ve played with it using a $20 power bank (20k ma) and very easily gotten 24-36 hours on a V2 using continuous recording. Time will vary based on how much to ask the cam to do.

2 Likes

Interesting options worth considering in the future. Although I do prefer the battery method. It’s quick and easy.

The camera system I got for outside states up to a 2-year lithium battery life. Yeah right. I don’t expect to see anywhere near that. But if I could get six months I would be ecstatic. Getting the ladder out to climb up to change the battery twice a year is right up my alley.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I can’t give a timeline for the outdoor camera yet but we are making great progress! :slight_smile:

I’m happy to hear about all these ways that we’ve been able to help folks. :heart:

I haven’t purchased the cameras yet and I’m looking for a way to monitor from afar. How much handling do the devices require? I live far from my elderly parent so I can’t pop in to fix a camera or connection problem. He has reliable wifi in his home. He also won’t use a wearable monitoring device as another poster reported of their parent. We have regular evening phone calls but his sleep and wake schedule is quite erratic so chatting during the day is difficult. And he’s stubborn of course! And extremely hard of hearing - he has a caption phone which is helpful. Thanks!

1 Like

If you use the search feature on the top of the Forum page and search for’ elder parents’, you will find a number of threads with a wealth of experience and info on this subject.
From my experience, if your parent truly has strong wifi I would suggest using the V2 over the pan. Less flexibility but IMHOP, less problem’s. They are excellent for monitoring activity and do feature 2 way audio, although I would not rely on that for day-to-day communication. They also are configurable in many ways for alerts and events plus can record to either a local SD card or the optional Complete Motion Capture feature.
I use them in my in-laws house 3 hours away to monitor general activity. I set each cam up on a smart plug in case it needed to be Power Cycled. This action will usually resolve most connectivity issues and can be done remotely using the cam-on-smart plug setup.
Plus, this forum is usually a great source of ideas and assistance!

4 Likes

My spouse is disabled and last time I looked, we have 91 internet connected devices in and around the house. It certainly makes life easier when a person can turn lights, fans and other devices on and off by voice command.

One thing I would add to this discussion is to put an Echo device (like the Echo Flex) in every room. Then teach your loved ones how to make a phone call via voice. It gives me greater peace of mind when I’m at work knowing my spouse can call me after a fall or accident.

3 Likes

@Wrecks0 - that’s a great idea! I wish this technology had been as readily available when my parents were still around. Although, convincing them to use it might have been a different matter!
Thanks for the tip!

1 Like