Keep Your Items Safe with Wyze Gun Safe - 3/15/22

I completely disagree. You can want firearms to just disappear, but they aren’t going to. Since they are going to be here, I’d like for people to keep them safely locked away. Don’t keep a firearm in your nightstand drawer, keep it safely locked away, in safe like this.

With the reliability of the Wyze products I currently have, I don’t think this will be a purchase for me.

1 Like

I only own 10-15 wyze products. I will say that the price points definitely opened the door for me to get into smart home devices. However, I sincerely regret purchasing wyze products after my ~2 years of ownership.

From what I’ve seen, The hardware itself is fairly reliable, assuming one of the updates don’t break your device (seems to be a 50/50 shot anymore) or the batteries dieing don’t brick it (seriously how did those v1 Wyze Sense modules make it through any QA process?). Heck, I just found out today from playing around, once you share your lock with another wyze account, you can’t actually unshare it in anyway that I could figure out from within the Android app. It just gives you a warning that the other person will lose access, then whether you continue or cancel it just keeps on sharing it. So, you know, that’s cool. I can’t imagine “bugs” like that with something like a gun safe.

Mostly, it’s just absolutely laughable QA on the firmware that is dragging this company down in my opinion.

I know… Why don’t I post bug reports and logs for these problems instead of complaining on the forums? Well, for one I don’t get paid by Wyze to QA their products. I bought a product that should be reliable. Second, this isn’t some open source community project. Again, these are retail products being sold as functional items. It’s not incumbent on a consumer to troubleshoot their purchased product for a company.

The fact that anyone, from a business sense, went “Well, we keep bricking devices and are having reliability issues. You know what device we should roll out next? A gun safe.”

I really wish I could have been in that meeting just for the shock laughs.

Seriously, if this product actually sells… I hope the people buying plan on just using a key if they plan on being able to access the gun is they ever actually need it. Even if I was still interested in purchasing Wyze products, this would be a hard pass from me.

1 Like

You must think we are really dumb.

First, Wyze invited the conversation about guns with the post Why We Made a Gun Safe. The argument centers upon safety.

[mod edit]

I can’t believe you made a gun safe thats unlockable from the same Wyze app that tons kids use on their parents phone every day to wave to their pet, or play with the lights. Trusting parents to use a new or different pin that their curious kid can’t guess is incredibly stupid and naive of your company. It’s a foreseeable tragedy waiting to happen. Now quick, delete my warning so it won’t be used in a negligence lawsuit against you by grieving parents. Unlocking a gun with a four digit code in an app kids use daily? Disgusting. At the very least, get rid of that feature. Or if you must have it, give the safe a separate app. Gun owners aren’t always responsible parents which is why kids access firearms - even the one’s supposedly locked up, kept safe - and harm themselves and others every single week. What you are doing is next level stupidity. A four digit pin on a parents phone! I am shocked by the recklessness of your greed.

1 Like

[mod edit]

The sad fact is that you guys are about to launch the most dangerous gun safe on the market… a gun that can be unlocked from an app that many many kids use on their parents phones every day… to check the front door, or check on a pet with a Wyze cam, or to turn on the lights or play with colors. People use the Wyze app on shared devices too, like a family iPad everyone can access. You must not have kids if you don’t think kids can guess a four digit pin their parents use. Your gun safe is a tragedy waiting to happen.

The Most Dangerous Gun Safe in America… you don’t think the media is going to love that story? Trust me, they will. And I hope it kills this product and costs you guys plenty of business from sensible families [mod edit]

[mod edit] That’s the culture here on the forum and that’s the same culture that enabled Wyze to design The Most Dangerous Gun Safe in America. The gun safe kids can unlock from inside an app they use every day. Tell your PR agency to get ready… heck you probably think the publicity will be good for sales. You really don’t understand the danger and the backlash that’s headed your way. But at least it’s better than waiting for a kid to crack your safe and cause harm.

This forum is primarily a user-to-user community. Forum Moderators (@Loki) and Forum Mavens are not Wyze employees. We are fellow Wyze users who volunteer our time to answer questions and help keep this forum running smoothly while adhering to the guidelines established by Wyze. Wyze employees are identified via “Wyze Team” or “Wyze Employee” following their forum user name.

Users are free to debate the merits of marketing this product. In doing so, users are not free to to post political rhetoric, engage in 2nd Amendment debates or whether gun ownership should be restricted.

3 Likes

It seems as though the Community Guidelines may not have been followed recently on this topic.

https://forums.wyze.com/t/wyze-community-guidelines/

In this situation, the moderators’ instructions are to temporarily limit posting to the thread. Users will only be able to post one reply in a 60-minute period for the next 48 hours. Continued infractions will result in the closing of comments and calling in a Wyze employee to review the thread.

2 Likes

[mod edit]

Perhaps you let your children have unrestricted access to your phone, but most [mod edit] people don’t. My phone, and my daughter’s phone pins are kept secret from children. They have their own phones.

The SAFEST way to raise children, is to set rules and boundaries, and bring them up to obey. Just because some parents don’t [mod edit] doesn’t mean the rest of us shouldn’t use things to make our homes more safe. You have unprotected kitchen knives. Aren’t you worried about your kids grabbing one and running about the neighborhood creating havoc.

[mod edit]

Can the Wyze safe be mounted vertically on the wall? If so, what holds the weapon in place when the lid opens? And would it be easy to grab the gun grip?

I received this safe a few days ago and decided to try it before I posted about it. I need to return it. The biometric part only works every fifth time or so. Adding additional fingers is useless because it will not recognize anything other than the first finger after the first day. The biometric locks you out having you to enter the code or it will sound a barely audible alarm. Once you open the door, you cannot relock it without slamming it closed at least three times. Also, when the door opens, it gives a very loud beep and whirring sound (much louder than the stupid alarm). I am very disappointed in this after having such high hopes for it. YMMV

1 Like

Story checks out. This all just sounds like another way of saying “made by Wyze”.

1 Like

I don’t have small children in my house, but thought of this also. For the app to unlock the safe, you have to manually enter a code to unlock it which is different from the code on the safe itself. So even if your kids can unlock your phone, they would need this second PIN to unlock the safe.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @rb765. sorry to hear of the troubles you are having. I have two of these safes and am not experiencing the need to slam the door shut whenever I close it, I lightly close the lid and it latches, so maybe a call to support for that reason.

When you scan your finger are you scanning your finger at all different angles and locations during the 8 different scan requests? I noticed that if you place your finger on the scanner for the most part in the “same spot” or just tapping the reader 8 times quickly the reader is less likely to identify the finger print when complete than if you move the position of your finger at different angles with each scan.

Try rescanning with the above method and see if you get better results. But yes if you are having a hard time closing the lid, I would give support a call for a possible warranty replacement.

5 Likes

This is faulty logic. The safest thing to do is to not have a gun at home. Period. And to claim that by advocating for this approach I’ve waded into politics and need my posts to be censored is just as pathetic. I’m not questioning your rights. [mod edit] We don’t all agree that gun safes promote safety.

2 Likes

For those that choose not to take the safest path using a safe it the next best thing.
I guess you dont drive or ride since the safest way to not be in a car accident is not to get in a car. If you do I hope you use the safety belts.

1 Like

I’m perfectly willing to let the hackers (let’s say a government - maybe ours, maybe China?) see my boring Wyze videos. I’m not willing to risk letting them “hack” into my gun safe and potentially keep me from opening. Just sayn’.

This safe is too small to be practical in my opinion. Most burglars still steal the safe if it’s carryable with their hands and figure out how to crack it open it later. This is the common scenario with home and motl safes under 40lb, at least arm’s length.

Have friends/family in law enforcement that have seen it happen way too many times.

Any safe under 600lbs that is not bolted down is fair game for burglars. Most safes are only 12-16guage steel, so they can be easily defeated with an angle grinder. This lockbox should be bolted to a heavy piece of furniture and this does not take the place of a real safe.

1 Like

Does is store the list of people accessing the safe and then send it to the phone once it is within Bluetooth range. For example: I have left the house and someone opens the safe, since there is no connection via WiFi I will not be alerted but will I still be alerted when I return within Bluetooth range or will I be unaware that the safe was opened?

1 Like

Honestly, I have doubts that Wyze products are “independent designs”. Likely, they just get a base desogm. from a Chinese manufacturer, and tweak them a little. They have far too many products for such a short period of time. I’m an electrical engineer working at a well known tech company, and we have a dozen people, just doing test, on one specific part, of one design. They would need thousands of employees to crank out this many “independent designs”, in just a few years. They barely have 200 employees.

Nothing wrong with operating that way, if they are, just saying…

1 Like