Issues Setting Detection Zone with Pan Cam

I have my pan cam pointing out my front window at my driveway, walkway, and yard. Unfortunately the camera also has a great view of the road, so whenever a car drives by, I get a notification. I’ve tried turning down the detection sensitivity, but that only causes it to not recognize motion right outside the window (the lowest I’ve turned it down to is 35). Because of this, I tried to set a detection zone, but I noticed when I do that, the camera goes right back to the default stationary position after 10 seconds and it completely voids the whole point for the detection zone. I am running on the beta version, so it’s entirely possible this is a beta bug, but I wanted to mention it anyway.

The first screenshot is my detection zone, the second screenshot is the camera right after I apply it, and the third screenshot is 10 seconds later without me moving the camera at all.

1 Like

Did you make sure you have motion detection turned on in Camera Settings > Event Recording?

Yes, I do have it enabled.

Read the fine print at the bottom of the first pic you posted.
The camera returns to it’s home position 15 seconds after you move it.
I just tried setting mine at a position off center and it keeps returning.
It appears to be by design. I don’t know why.

If that’s the case, they may want to re-word it. When I see “the camera will return to this position,” I read that as it’ll return the camera to the position I set the detection zone to if I were to move it away from the zone. Basically if set the detection zone in one spot, then moved the camera to the left a bit, it’d automatically move back to the detection zone after 15 seconds.

That was my assumption too and that may be what it’s supposed to mean.
Someone from Wyze will let us know.

It is supposed to return to the detection zone position, not the default position.

Keep in mind that this forum is primarily a user to user community. If you don’t get a helpful reply here, I suggest you file a support request including the log files for more help. You might want to go ahead and submit your ticket now as there is somewhat of a backlog. If you end up getting the issue resolved before support contacts you, then you can always let them know that it’s already resolved.

Thanks, Loki. I actually submitted a support request right after this forum post just to be safe, so I’m thankful I did.

I find that I first set my home position under pan scan settings. Usually I only have the one setting which is where the camera is to return to if I ever change the position. I also find that I have to reset the alert zone if I change the pan settings.

1 Like

Yes, Pan Scan and Detection Zone are mutually exclusive. When you activate one, the other will be deactivated automatically and a message to that effect will pop up in the app.

I think it’s a bug in your beta firmware.
On my Pan cam (with production firmware), I have specified the desired default location using the 4-way controller on the bottom of the Detection Zone page. (NB - on my version of the iOS app, the 4 control dots are grey. On yours, they are green so it looks like Wyze has been working on this part of the GUI). Once I have specified the desired location, then I adjust the size/location of the detection zone. Having done so, if the camera position changes (either manual control or via the motion tracking feature) the camera always returns to the location that I had specified after 15 seconds or so.

Note that in the current production code, it is not at all obvious that the 4-way controller at the bottom of the Detection Zone is live. At present, it’s grayed out, making it look like it’s non-functional. As a result, many people overlook the step of pointing the camera to the desired location when on the Detection Zone screen.

I think it’s a bug, as well. I was able to temporarily work around it with prley’s suggestion. I set a manual waypoint under the Pan Scan settings, then setup the Detection Zone and now the camera goes right back to where I want it. Hopefully they’ll be able to fix the bug soon, but it’s nice to know there’s a workaround if it takes a while.

LOL I didn’t know this was a type of work around. I’ve had 3 cameras for over 3 months now and I thought this was how you had to do it.

I have the same issue with the Pan Cam - re-configuring detection position/zone is a really difficult task.

Once I set the detection position/zone, I struggle to change it when I need it at a later time.
Whatever I do, the camera always returns to the previously configured detection position, while the detection zone (the rectangle) size and position is updated successfully.

In other words, the newly configured detection position is not saved. Today I spent 20 minutes trying all possible solutions - restarting the camera and the app, changing detection sensitivity hoping that it will also update other detection settings etc.

Finally I managed to point the camera to the new detection position/zone, and I think what helped me was closing the app quickly while I was still observing the correct position in the detection zone setting mode. I virtually skipped the normal camera view, and I suspect that it is the app that returns the camera to the old detection position, not the camera firmware itself.

Developers should consider a simple solution for this by adding a “SAVE” button to the detection zone configuration screen. If anything is saved “automatically”, there’s always a catch as you don’t know if it has saved something or not. “Save” button will just fix this.

3 Likes