Is there a smart "bug" bulb out there

I want to power my camera from an outside light, but I don’t want to keep the light on 24/7. I’ve heard of people using smart bulbs so that they can keep the camera powered 24/7 but not the bulb itself. My problem is I only use “bug” (yellow) bulbs outside because regular bulbs attract an enormous amount of crawly critters.

I see that Wyze has smart bulbs, but not the bug-proof variety.

@young.clarkh Do you think something like this would work for you? Several users are going with this USB light socket to power the cams from Amazon. You can keep using your yellow bulb and power the cam at the same time.
Nyce Power LampCharger Light Bulb Socket Adapter, Light Socket USB Charging Station, USB Charger Ports, Tablet and Phone Charger Adapter | 60W Max (Lamp Charger with 2 USB Ports) Amazon.com

1 Like

That will require me to keep the bulb running unless I want to jam my hand up into the light fixture every time I want to turn the light off.

I’m looking for a smart light that will turn off via Alexa. But one that is yellow (because bugs hate that color, apparently)

1 Like

I understand. I’m not aware of any smart bug bulbs available ATM, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t some out there somewhere. It would be good #wishlist item for a future Wyze product. I searched but couldn’t find any.

If by “bug” light, you mean yellow color, the Wyze bulb can change its temp to 3000K color.

2000K amber glow. Like the following (but this isn’t a smart bulb, obviously):

1 Like

You could leave power on and use Dusk to Dawn Automatic bulbs , that’s what I do but I don’t use the yellow ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Bulbs-Automatic-Security-Outdoor-Bluex/dp/B079MGXGW9/ref=asc_df_B079MGXGW9/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242054986317&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16012310206730662507&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017037&hvtargid=pla-445197671404&psc=1

1 Like

That is a good suggestion. I think I can go with that strategy until a smart bulb becomes available.

1 Like