Is the Wyze V3 outdoor power adapter needed?

I have my Wyze V3 cameras set up outside with the power adapter included and it seems to work fine/ do I really need the outdoor power adapter? Thanks

If the adapter is outdoors, it is recommended to use the outdoor adapter. The adapter provided with the camera is susceptible to the outdoor moisture, rain, etc and could cause issues and even fires.

1 Like

What’s the metal rectangle that sits mid-cable on the outdoor adapter for?

That is where the smarts are to convert from 120v to 5v before sending it to the Camera.

One side plugs into the outlet the other plugs into the camera.

5 Likes

So instead of needing to use a wall wort where moisture could intrude?

Correct. The block in the middle is sealed and protected from the elements. The only other part is the plug end. Should be the outdoor outlet should have a plastic case on it to protect it from the elements, so the plug would go under that. If the outlet is in the eves, I don’t believe the covering is required, but not sure. You would need to check the code in your area.

3 Likes

I wanted to power a V2 outside over 3 years ago. I had an outlet close by. The problem I had was the wall wart that came with the V2 was too big for the outside outlet box I had.

I bought a deeper box and also a couple of 3rd party wall warts that were better suited. The power brick has 2 USB slots to power 2 cameras. The setup has worked great for me for over 3 years. I have never had any type of moisture problem.

1 Like