Is the new V3 Wyze Cam RTSP capable?

I’m also eagerly awaiting the RTSP firmware for v3. Willing to help test if needed, Thanks Wyze team!

2 Likes

Mine seems to be working well on the livestream was there a new update or something for it I just hooked up mine today January 11th

I have a wyze cam v2 set up in an enclosure on the front of my house using RTSP as the feed for motion running on a local server, which exports a v4l2 stream that is used by other webcam software that eventually updates images on my personal website. I purchased a v3 when it became available for pre-order to evaluate using it for similar purposes. There were comments that the RTSP firmware was being worked on for the v3 when I placed my order, and I really hoped that it would have been ready when the camera arrived. The v2 is still working, but the v3 is currently still useless for my purposes. I need access to the video stream on my workstation/server, not limited to an app on my smart phone. Is there any update on work being done on the RTSP firmware for the v3?

1 Like

Not that I’ve heard of but it is expected before very long. If you really wanted you could in the meantime use TinyCam to replicate the stream into RTSP but it’s probably a lot better to just wait.

Did tinyCam add the ability to stream in RTSP? Last time I checked, they streamed the video in http and can be viewed with regular web browsers.

Basically, yes. They have an Axis compatible API. I have posted a couple of times about redirecting Wyze credentialed streams to RTSP clients via TinyCam Pro and its web server. (I won’t swear whether it is technically RTSP.)

https://forums.wyzecam.com/t/rtsp-for-new-v3-camera/146016/20

Could somebody tell me more about tinycam I’ve tried to use it in the past and I never have any luck it always seems to be buffering however I just got a new LG G8 thin Q phone maybe it would be better now is there a secret to get to work better

@WyzeTao Will the RTSP PR’s be merged into the master branch or will we be stuck on a separate branch again?

As far as I am aware it will remain on a separate branch

Well it’s a new design. Why didn’t they build RTSP right into the standard firmware? Why do they insist on making it difficult for those of us that use it?

7 Likes

I have the cam set up, it’s only missing RTSP for v3. Very eager to see the a firmware version going out compatible with v3!! Any release date @WyzeTao ?

2 Likes

I am eagerly awaiting rtsp firmware. I live in a rural community with somewhat unreliable internet. I rely on local control and storage for my home automation.

2 Likes

Add me to the list of cam3 owners that are eagerly awaiting the rtsp firmware. I gave purchased 5 cams but I haven’t installed any of them as I need the rtsp protocol to be able to use them with my home security and automation system.

1 Like

Me too. I dropped back to V2 in my last purchase since I need RTSP to work with motionEye.

I plan to buy 3 more for outdoors … but may change to another brand instead of endless waiting …

Any suggestion?

2 Likes

This is so disappointing! I can’t believe I’ve been waiting for the V3 cams to become available again only to find out the development team has purposefully left this feature out. I have two V3 Cams that will be sitting in their boxes until someone figures out how shortsighted this decision is. What a cruel thing to do to a loyal customer base.

3 Likes

The really disappointing fact is that they did not include RTSP as part of the regular firmware. . Instead they insist on making it a totally separate build. Given the larger internal memory of the V3 it should have been a single unified firmware.

3 Likes

Sorry we don’t have a confirmed date yet.

1 Like

Could it be included in the regular firmware?

3 Likes

As we stated from v2 time, we don’t have plan to make RTSP in regular firmware. This is because the extra complexity will impact stability and different features may conflict with each other. Flash storage is another concern since we are very tight on storage.

1 Like

The tone of this latest reply from Wyze almost sounds argumentative. We paying customers DO appreciate having our concerns heard. It is an increasingly rare thing. But this is starting to sound like Wyze is declaring, “we already told you, so stop asking.”

I have tried MANY different brands and platforms for home security and surveillance. Until this moment, I thought I had finally found a company with solutions that fit my needs without being overly proprietary. I was even considering the new Wyze home security system in the future, but now think I’ll keep looking.

We paying customers put a lot of faith in companies like Wyze when making these types of decisions. Please honor that relationship by partnering with even the smallest band of tinkerers amidst your customer base.

In my case, I’m simply looking for a method of live monitoring multiple feeds. I don’t mind kicking in extra subscription charges for cloud storage and added features. I just need to be able to use third-party apps to access the streams in real time. Right now, I’m using iSpy with a couple of V2 cams and can’t use my new V3 cams without finding some other local network solution.

Surely this is something that the Wyze development team can get behind.

3 Likes