Is Anyone Actually Satisfied With Their Wyze Camera?

Actually I have had my pan tilt camera for about 2 years I love my wco cameras and the alarm system is amazing.

Your alarm system can be jammed and totally useless for a Less than $50 with a WiFi Jammer on e-Bay and elsewhere…

And yes it will jam my cameras

But not my quad path self installed professional security system. (Banks only use dual path)

1 Like

Hopefully for those with wired systems, inexpensive EMP devices won’t become a thing during our lifetime. :sweat_smile:

At night time, a person could always set themselves up with an IR LED necklace that would make their head look like a glowing ball of light to most cameras. Of course, a low tech ski mask would also do the trick.

Doubtful pocket EMP’s will be here anytime soon, and if a burglar uses one he would be on foot too, unless he parked far enough away…LOL

Besides cams I have microwave point to point perimeter detection (like the break the beam sensors in stores in the old days, but instead it uses microwave) It also determines body mass and shape so most time it is 90% correct that a vehicle or human has entered property and occasionally detects a bear or big buck as detection threat. This is not part of the Professional Home Monitored (NON-WYZE) system but rather an alert that my compound has been compromised and rings a alert tone in home, office and sends a text to my phone. Then it’s target practice so to speak because where I live the Sheriff is at least 45-60 minutes response and everyone up here has their weapons of choice. Also the Sheriff issues CCW permits as El Dorado County is not like most cities in California whom do not issue as easily.

So if I’m not home the house and all outbuildings are protected by the monitored professional alarm system with an 160db Siren so neighbors can respond too, has gone off a couple of times and I have seen my neighbors on the property looking for something to shoot, they also call me to update.

The two times it happened was a sonic glass break detector triggered by one of my cats, re-adjusted sensitivity with the “FG701 Glass-Break Simulator” and no more false alarms. One neighbor is a deputy sheriff and so I don’t worry much if he is at home and the other neighbors too because they are retired and pack too. But if they all are gone the monitoring calls and texts me and notifies Sheriff department.

The Quad path comms on alarm panel uses built in cellular on AT&T, the Hardwired paths are on FirstNet and Landline, And the WiFi has Verizon and T-Mobile as fallback. Being a Telecomm Engineer gets me perks with all the carriers so I don’t pay for all the comm paths (just 2 of them I pay for).

My system has over 80 sensors and every door, window, glass breakage, CO, Fire and Smoke, even temperature extremes, and flood detection is monitored. Being in the business of comms and an electrician plus being a nerd makes my setups a bit extreme.

3 Likes

Interesting! With what did you start… and how long did it take to progress to this ‘extreme?’ :slight_smile:

Started with my monitored Ademco/Honeywell self installed alarm panel and system with just internal cellular.
Then added the extra communication paths to it for backup.

Removed the 360p crappy honeywell cams and put in Wyze cams, first were V2’s and pan in weatherproof encasement’s, then when V3’s came out I upgraded to V3’s and many more V3 cams.

Installed the microwave perimeter detection systems as I upgraded a government location and kept the removed “e-wasted” system and installed and reconfigured for my needs.
Info on these types of systems can be found here at this link: Infrared or Microwave: Which is Best for Your Perimeter? I got free e-wasted microwave units that were in working order but the location wanted a better system so I scored there on that setup.

Then later when loss of power became an issue sometimes just due to storms then on top of that our power utility PG&E started PSPS (Public Safety Power Shutdowns) and I added Battery Backup systems on many of my devices which can be found in this forum too…

When I get breaks between government contracts my mind doesn’t go idle unless I have enough beer, but I limit my intake and would rather be an electronics-nerd for entertainment…LOL

Several years of building my setups and I still am not done as when something comes to mind I will do it, especially if I get something free from a site removal.

Here is a link to one of my Battery Backup Systems just for comms and cams:
Battery Backed-Up 14 V3 cams and Internet Communications

There is another link under a Solar post someone started and I have been commenting in recently too…
Solar panel AND battery for Wyze Cam 3

Edit: Forgot to mention this for remote power cycling if something goes down
Remote power strip, modified for 12 volts (Originally a 120 VAC unit)

The one I am working on now will be for microwave perimeter intrusion system but it will cost the most as it needs at least 10-20 100 Ah Batteries and supporting hardware such as inverters, etc…
Waiting on next batch of e-wasted site removal parts or I will pay for my parts myself if no freebies.

I don’t consider it “totally extreme” yet I still need the AI gun turrets and sharks in a moat with lasers…LOL

3 Likes

We call this one nation, but there’s such a wide variety of circumstances, environments and experiences that it may as well be a hundred, eh?

Do you remember when the phone would ring and you would either pick it up or not? If you weren’t home and it rang did it really if there was no one there to hear it?

Wyze started out saying the cams were for ‘keeping an eye on things.’ Downplayed, but did not discourage, the ‘security’ aspect.

I’ve noticed urban reconnoiterers scurrying past cams. I think they may know about the 10 fps night vision (v2).

How long can you stand having everything powered off? With, and without, beer. :wink:

1 Like

I have 2 gasoline/propane generators (not automatic though, yet) just the manual ones.
The Comms and Cams Battery lasted 21.5 hours before low voltage shutdown but I plan on adding another 100 Ah battery to double that run time.

The battery backup on Professional (non-Wyze) Ademco/Honeywell alarm system will run 7-8 days on the 100 Ah battery then after the 100 Ah shuts down the built in battery in panel last close to 24 hours. And that will still have internal cell path comms and landline active.

The Solar Driveway cams and motion spotlights vary on run time and most the time don’t run out except November to Mid-February due to lack of sun because of height of trees in forest and less daylight hours, plan to add another 100 Watt panel eventually. But even with Driveway cams down there are 14 more cams on the A.C powered and 21.5 hour battery backed up system.

Beer is not a necessity to me so I can go with or without it, just lately I have been drinking it a bit more because I am between work contracts so why not…LOL. But time for lunch and a few :beer::beer::beer: after this post…

And when A.C. Grid power goes down the Cellular modem/router sends and immediate text to my phone so I have 21.5 hours to get home and start generators.

The reason for 2 generators is for fuel savings $$$$ the little one 4000 watt is mostly used as it covers lights, refrigerator, fan for propane heater, and most household entertainment devices. Then the 15000 watt is used when I want to run Washer and Dryer, Air Conditioning, etc…

4000 watt consumes 0.25 gallons of gasoline an hour (0.5 gallons on Propane)
15000 watt consumes 1 gallon an hour of gasoline (2 gallons on Propane)
And the load to generator does not change the consumption that much so 2 generators are better.

2 Likes

Considering your expertise, your endorsement of the cams (v3,v2,pan) says something.

Wyze, send this man a t-shirt!   :grinning:

1 Like

I’m very happy with my Wyze cameras. Right now I only have 3 installed. They are all v2’s. Two are installed at a remote location about 10 miles away and of course communicate with that site’s wi-fi. They both have Cam Plus which has provided excellent event notifications. The third camera is local and actually installed outdoors under roofing eave. We’ve had several nights in low 20’s/upper teens and so far have not affected this ‘indoor’ camera. Still have other v2’s to install, but plan to purchase a few v3’s.

Apologies Everyone for taking this post off the main subject. (A.K.A. Thread Hijacking)

So to make up for that here is my Wyze-Cracker Scientific V3 vs. V2 Audio test. Highly scientific as I used shipping tape to mount V2 next to V3.

There is a difference between the 2 cameras and the V2 has better audio but both do get the audio.
You can even hear my remote alarm keypad announcing the door being opened for further audio…

V2 event below:

V3 event below:

Okay Wyze here is your next product, Just don’t screw up the firmware and software…LOL
A future product from Wyze - “The Wyze Crapper” Bidet

@peepeep & Wyze - I would rather have over a t-shirt the new upcoming Wyze product nicknamed “The Wyze-Crapper” a Wyze WiFi Bidet although a firmware bug might scare the crap out of me. :rofl::poop:

3 Likes

I am satisfied with mine. 3 perimeter and 1 garage. 3 are the original Wyze and 1 is a V2. I have 1 SD card installed and 1 CamPlus subscription. I’ve been too lazy to subscribed the others, or too cheap, I haven’t decided. My doorbell is a Ring and I have a ReoLink with a solar panel on the exterior of the garage. Just like tinkering and our neighborhood is very safe, because we live in an Adult community. The surrounding community is hit regularly by catalytic converter theft and the occasional unlocked car theft. Our biggest problem is door to door phony repair people and occasionally catalytic theft too.

Wow. That reminds me of some of the systems I’ve seen in sketchy places like Mexico or South Africa. Here in Maine about half the cars in WallyMart have the keys in the ignition and the other half have the keys “hidden” under the seat. 99.9% of car “break-ins” involve unlocked cars. Front doors are rarely locked. I’m more worried about snow on the roof :slight_smile:

Nothing sketchy about where I live, I am in the middle of the Eldorado national Forest, I am just an Telecommunications / Electronics Engineer and an IBEW union electrician with time on my hands when between contracts, mostly government and some private contracts.

And some free e-wasted security equipment, and some purchased security equipment.

Living over 40+ minutes from main town where Sheriff station is at, Is one reason for having good security. The other reason is I am a Security Nerd Extraordinaire…

I can and have left car doors and work truck accidentally unlocked with no issues, my work truck usually has over $200K in tools and parts in it and nothing has ever happened, but still when I realize it was left unlocked it bugs me as away from home I do work in sketchy areas and locking things up is a good habit. All my doors at home are unlocked unless I leave the property or go to bed and I always have one of many weapons nearby or in my holster. We do have bears, coyotes, mountain lions and more here in the forest. But the best targets are the wandering thieving Meth-Heads (Just Kidding on the Meth-Heads they are in the valley but I do CCW on the job)

2 Likes

Yes, very. I’m not a can plus and I’m still enjoying super reliable service from my many cams and door bell.

Excellent products. Disappointed with the watch and support for it.

I have a v2 magnetically attached to the underside of a window heat pump. The v2 survived the record low single digit temperatures we had here back in February, while the fan bearing on the heat pump itself didn’t fare so well. (It’s been noisy ever since)

The Smart Plugs, Doorbell, V1 Scale and HandVac are OK…Lamp, LED bulb, OutdoorCam, 47mm watch have issues…Cordless Vac still reviewing with the Security system I dropped off to Goodwill.

[mod edit]. All your messages are trashing the company. Stop buying their product and move on. You are hurting yourself with the constant negativity.

There is a good life to be had out there. Have a great life.

2 Likes

I’m with @cohibajoe Cohibajoe too,

I will promote the V2, V3, and Pan Cams

But all other Wyze products are cheap Chinese Junk that is taking away from Wyze fixing many issues in their Software and Firmware for the cameras as Wyze is too busy trying to source and push more and more Wyze Cheap Chinese Junk :rage:

1 Like

Go for it.
But doing the same thing and expecting a different result doesn’t tend to work.
I learned to wait for unbiased reviews before buying.
Cheers