IR Night Vision Timed Schedule?

One of my Wyze v2 cameras looks out onto the driveway, however, shortly after the sun goes down and ONLY if my floodlights are on, the camera constantly switches back and forth between day and night vision. I believe the floodlights provide just enough light to fool the camera into thinking it is daylight again but something happens after it enters daylight mode and it decides to re enter night vision mode again and again. It switches back and forth between these two modes approximately every 30-60 seconds. When I turn my floodlights off this constant switching stops. Relocating the camera or reaiming/changing my floodlights is not an option so please do not bring that up as a possible solution…I have already tried and would not be posting here if it worked.

I would like it if I could have the option to set a timed schedule for when the camera will enter night vision and daylight modes. This would be achieved by telling the camera something like turn on night vision mode 20 minutes after sunset and turn daylight mode on 20 minutes before sunrise. This does mean that the camera would need to update itself on a daily basis to know what the sunset and sunrise time is for your area as those times can slightly change everyday and then be able to offset the time with whatever minutes the user input provides. Any ideas on how to solve this issue?

1 Like

Don’t know if this will help, but I had a similar problem and fixed it by: 1. In the phone app, tap the gear wheel at the top right to go to “Camera Settings”. 2. Tap “Detection Settings”. 3. Lower your “Sensitivity” setting with the scroll bar. 4. Experiment with the sweet spot that solves the trick. 5. Good luck.

1 Like

I agree, changing your sensitivity might fix this issue. if not, could you possibly “aim” the floodlights in slightly different positions. are they possibly reflecting off something back to the camera ( a car or something like that) which would then send more light to the camera and make it change?

I have the motion sensitivity set to “1” and have the detection zone box as small as possible and it is away from the light source. My sound detection is completely disabled. Also, I am talking about the cameras sensitivity to light during certain conditions, why would my motion detection settings even matter?
As I stated before changing the cameras position and the floodlights is not an option for my situation. However, thanks for trying to help.

Ok, I just wanted to share this. I might have inadvertently discovered the cause and a solution.
I had a lot of tree foilage to the right of the camera’s view and I finally got around to trimming off those branches to make room for a better view on the camera. After doing this, my issue with the constant day and night mode switching back and forth loop surprisingly disappeared.
This made me realize a possible theory (at least a single factor) in how the camera might determine when to terminate night mode. The camera’s IR lights would reflect back from the leaves that were on the right side of the camera’s view and create a sort of whiteout effect (white pixels) which likely assisted (or played a part in) in fooling the camera into thinking the leaves were also a legitimate source of light, in addition to my flood lights on the left side, and thus helped to create the undesirable loop effect of terminating night mode and then re entering day mode. When my flood lights were turned on, the left side of the camera’s view would then have even more of the whiteout effect (white pixels) within the overall view of the camera. When these two factors were present (the leaves on the right and my flood lights turned on on the left), the camera would start its constant switching back and forth between day and night mode loop. In other words, the camera would normally enter night mode (sometime around sunset time) because it is dark enough outside but then it would get confused because of the amount of white pixels that were present on the screen from both the leaves (that are now gone) and my flood lights being turned on. Now that the leaves are gone, there are much less white pixels within the camera’s view, even when my flood lights are turned on. This appears to mean that I now can have my flood lights turned on WITHOUT the constant switching back and forth loop effect from day and night mode. This has left me wondering if anyone else with this issue has noticed that there might be a condition where if a certain percentage of the camera’s view has white pixels present then night mode terminates regardless of how the white pixels are created, whether it is from a legitimate light source or IR reflection light from objects. I would not expect Wyze to ever find a solution to this (but of course it would be cool if they did :smile:), however, this means that owners of Wyze cameras can possibly have a better understanding of a solution if such conditions similar to mine exist for other people.

that is quite perplexing. I know when I turn the IR emitters on while looking through a window that they will reflect back to the camera effectively blinding what you can actually see. even that doesn’t signal it to change modes. its so odd that leaves would do this but I’m glad you found the cause of the issue

That’s a good point. However, IR reflection from glass can create a near 100% whiteout effect of white pixels rather than a middle ground or only slightly above the majority within the camera’s view. Perhaps Wyze’s algorithm that determines to switch into day mode is smart enough to know not to switch into day mode when there is that many white pixels present during night mode within the camera view. I do not know the answer for sure for my case or yours but so far this logic seems to be solid until proven otherwise.

1 Like