IR illuminator

Based on recommendations from forum user rbruceporter. I purchased an IR illuminator to compliment my Wyzecam setup. Being in Canada my options were a bit limited. I finally decided on one and could not be happier with the results. I thought I would share. I disabled the IR lights in the wyzecam. Just by doing this it stopped all the notifications I was getting from insects. They are now attracted to the IR illuminator about 4 feet away. The first picture of the side of my house is the normal view from the wyzecam with IR Lights on. The second picture is with the wyzecam IR lights off and the IR illuminator on. (big difference). The third pic is the back of the house showing the light coming down from the side through another wyzecam. It actually hits my back fence. I think I will put another at the back and other side

IMG_1343 ,

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. That is what I need to do at the back of my house. Great improvement :smiley:

@hum099 I have been thinking about doing something similar. May I ask what IR Illuminator you went with?

I’m in Canada (Amazon.ca) and we seem to pay more for everything. Price is CDN. I seen a few branded under a different names on Amazon.com for much cheaper. Also you may not need 12 Leds, they have a 6 LED one. I wanted it to reach to the back of my property so i went with 12. If you look at the top left of the second picture, you can see it.

https://www.amazon.ca/AUTENS-Illuminator-Waterproof-Infrared-Surveillance/dp/B07MG7J5LP/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=ir+illuminator&qid=1564582545&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

Here is one of the re-branded ones on Amazon.com. Specs are identical.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G6EDOO2?aaxitk=LCOAi2jFNmlky-c8RJNHFw&pd_rd_i=B01G6EDOO2&pf_rd_p=9420597b-7dad-4cbd-a28d-7d676ac67378&hsa_cr_id=6568488390001&sb-ci-n=asinImage&sb-ci-v=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F61ysufVbGyL.jpg&sb-ci-a=B01G6EDOO2

1 Like

The two types of wyze cams use different IR wavelengths.
The V2 is 850nm, the Pan is 940nm

Just an FYI

4 Likes

You could put a Wyze Bulb in your outside light there and use a (protected) Wyze Sense to get color video when connected to an LED spotlight via a smart plug.

It is great that you are able to get a clear picture of a perpetrator in complete darkness, but then I would want them to be then frightened off by a light. This happened to me recently.

@hum099 do you keep it on all day and night or you use a smart plug? To turn it on the nights?

It has a Built-in light sensor which turns it on at night and off in the daytime.

2 Likes

I mount the V2 cams from inside, pointed through window, and this illuminator works very well:
Tendelux 80ft IR Illuminator

Auto power on/off too!
$20…they have larger one, but this does the job.

2 Likes

I bought this same exact product (same link), and it does the job just what I need. It lights very well.

I’ve one model up,
https://www.amazon.com/Tendelux-Illuminator-BI8-Powerful-Infrared/dp/B0771GQMPT/ref=sr_1_5?crid=128ZORA519FIQ&keywords=tendelux+80ft+ir+illuminator&qid=1571607356&sprefix=tendelux%2Caps%2C155&sr=8-5
and it’s pretty good so far (20 days). Lights up most of my back lot (about 90 feet deep)
But I need either a more powerful one or several for another site which is much longer.

Thank you for this! I bought this one as well and tested it this weekend. I have it mounted about 24" off the ground pointing straight out. So not the way it was intended to be used! However, it helps quite a bit at night at our second home’s location. It’s on a dirt road and no other lights are on after our outside light goes off. This has really boosted the night vision significantly. This will really help as we start getting into the shortest days of the year.

Reviving this thread because I’m about to buy one for another lot.
The Tendelux 120 has been working fine since about Oct 1st. I’m still doing a little research but I’ll probably go with a Tendelux 200
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0771HSGH4/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0771HSGH4&pd_rd_w=mgoAQ&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=YNDRY&pf_rd_r=53QGQK04A1MC7TWM28TD&pd_rd_r=c4b50e30-509a-4d9e-8663-84f9154ba74a&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExNkxCOUVZOTlCQVUzJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODQ0MTYyMTk1RDNDNFNBR1ZPUCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjQ2Nzk3MTUzTUxJNjBLQU5aRyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Which sucks 18W compared to the 120 which only draws 8 watts.

Anybody have one that is better?

Personally, the cheaper one with 4 LEDs should suffice. Anything stronger washes out the subject (from my experience, I had to do shine it indirectly so it wouldn’t happen).

1 Like

Well a lot depends on how large an area you are trying to illuminate.
With the Tendelux 120 it lights up most of my suburban backyard on my 1/4 acre lot.
Looking for exterior IR light for inside cameras - #3 by gemniii.

But I’ve another site where I want to see down my driveway, about twice as far and there are 70 acres.
Many people just need to see their back porch.

Update on my Tendelux B118
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0771HSGH4/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0771HSGH4&pd_rd_w=mgoAQ&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=YNDRY&pf_rd_r=53QGQK04A1MC7TWM28TD&pd_rd_r=c4b50e30-509a-4d9e-8663-84f9154ba74a&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExNkxCOUVZOTlCQVUzJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODQ0MTYyMTk1RDNDNFNBR1ZPUCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjQ2Nzk3MTUzTUxJNjBLQU5aRyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU

It seems to have died. About 2 months usage. Have not gotten through to the mfg yet, but with the hassle/labor to mount a light I need a light as reliable as the camera AT LEAST.
At this point I would NOT recommend, :frowning:

Is it the light itself that died, or the power adapter?

Sorry to hear, but thank you for posting an update. How’s your other 120’ BI8 illuminator doing?

Thanks Ex70s, never would’ve thought about IR wave lengths. May I ask for some elaboration about what happens if I get the wrong IR? I’m looking to support both V2 & Pan in the same area of about 100’ x 80’ and curious if I should consider two different illuminators.

I was pleased to read here that isolating the IR away from the camera may reduce false alerts from insects.