IR flips on and off and on and off, endlessly at twilight, or dim light

I had this issue and also had a power supply failure right after it. When I swapped the bad power supply with another standard usb power supply, it stopped doing it and functioned like a different unit. Just try any usb phone or tablet power supply. You might get lucky. I’m pretty sure there are a bunch of borderline supplies that got shipped. My theory is this is why you have some cameras that do it and some that don’t.

Just seeing this topic. I have a Wyze Cam Pan and a small ambient light in the kitchen. My camera will switch IR off and on all night… drives me nuts. I finally had to turn IR off completely.

I also have this issue with a V2 camera that is in my family room. If we are watching a movie with the lights out…I can hear the constant click on and off of the night mode. I eventually just turned it on all the time. I wish there was a snooze feature maybe. So you could stop the constant switching…

I can sometimes hear the repetitive click on my v2 in my kitchen.

I have the exact same problem with one of my V2 pan cams…loud click as well.

Same problem. I have a number of cameras that all have this same issue. v2s and Cam Pans. What is really annoying is when it is at dawn or dusk and the camera will just keep flipping back and forth until the sun has fully gone up/down. It also happens a lot with outdoor lights. I’m guessing the camera gets confused because the whole screen is dark except for the light, so it will flip back and forth. Like others have mentioned, I just set those cams to one or the other to avoid the constant flip.

Yes, same problem with mine, I think both v1 and v2 had the same issues with the light transition. Agree it should limit switching

Yes, same here… During sunset/sunrise it clicks like crazy.
If I am home, sometimes I force the mode.

For those following this popular thread, this is advise that I’m awaiting a response to the bug report I submitted to Wyze last week. No doubt they are busy attending to other issues (and recent server outages). I also sent them a video clip of my camera flipping back and forth (and back and forth and back and forth…). And a link to this thread. If/when I hear from them with an ETA for a fix, I’ll update here.

1 Like

My wife and kids are ready to take the “click monster” out for a good beating. I had to turn off night mode because like others said, it keeps clicking the filter on and off like mad. Seems there might be 2 issues, the mechanical design is poor, not dampened enough to be quiet and the firmware decision to rapidly flip the filter on/off

Same issue here, it’s on, it’s off, it’s on, it’s off… Click, click, click, click…

1 Like

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature. The Wyze Metronome, included at no extra charge:-)

2 Likes

I recall that my camera used to make a loud clicking sound when the memory card was full. But that was on an old firmware version. I don’t think it does that any more… but have you checked to see if you SD card is almost full?

Even after a couple of firmware updates, my V2 cams are still going clicking-click-click-click at twilight. It’s a little better than it was, but still present. Anybody else see an improvement (or fixed completely)?

The same thing happened to me recently with one of my V2 cams. It’s in a room were I recently changed a bulb that went out. It used to be a 60 watt (equiv) CFL had no issue. I replaced it with a 100 watt bulb, my cam started “freaking out” (the technical term I believe :wink:) at low lighting. I just flipped it from auto to night in the app since it was annoying to hear it flip back and forth every ~15 seconds.

I can provide a video or more details if you think they would be helpful.

Android 8.0.0
App 2.0.24
Firmware 4.9.3.64

Me too facing same issue on v2.

This wish list item was created 6 months ago and could use some VOTES.

I agree, this should be an easy fix. Maybe the tweaking of only a few variables. Putting the variables in as advanced settings may take a little more effort, but I’d take that too. I have 2 or 3 cameras that love to do this, and send motion alerts about it too. Very irritating.

1 Like

The click-click-click defect is still afflicting both V2 and PanScan.
They can’t make up their mind whether they want to be in Day mode or Night mode at dawn and dusk. Cameras go click-click-click every few seconds for several minutes, until it becomes light (or dark) enough to stay in one mode.

A ticket was opened on this in November (#136327).
In December, someone in the dev team (Max) sent me a test build of firmware to try out. It performed a bit better, but the problem remains to this day.

If @UserCustomerGwen comes across this post, I’d be curious to know what happened to ticket 136327. Has it been closed? If so, on what basis? The defect still exists.
If the ticket is still open, one wonders about the process by which tickets are prioritized, triaged, and managed at Wyze. Seven months is a long time to be carrying an open ticket forward. I’m concerned that the mechanical shutter mechanism that flips the IR filter back and forth in these cameras is going to wear out pre-maturely due to all the needless clickity-clicks.

This shouldn’t be hard to fix. The algorithm needs a bit of hysteresis, a well-known technique for preventing unwanted rapid switching. If they’re not familiar with it, your dev colleagues can read about it here.

1 Like

@kyphos
I noticed this radical mode behavior yesterday morning at day break. Just as the day is dawning the camera seems to change from night mode to day mode too quickly. As you said, it clicks back and forth between the modes several times before it actually becomes stable in day mode. Couldn’t this cause the camera to wear out quicker? I don’t know, but seems like to me it would bring it to a premature death. I really hope the Wyze team will find a fix for this issue soon.

@kyphos, I checked on that ticket and it looks like the last thing we heard was that you were going to do some testing so I think it was left pending (waiting for the results) until the system automatically closed it.

For people running into this, please send us logs through Account > Help & Feedback > Report an Issue within two days of this happening to you. We are looking into this and could use your help collecting data. Sorry for the trouble!