Internet through AC outlet

Hi gang,
I want to extend my network through my AC outlet and connect a wyze cam to it. First, any recommendations on a good product for this, that works with a black cam? I need dependable video remote capturing for discreet security reasons. I’m a bedbound quad and need to see a few places around the house where currently connectivity is sketchy. I want to purchase a black cam and add it to my existing wyze system. Any advice is appreciated?

I have ATT gig fiber. I use both an ASUS wifi 6 mesh system and the ATT router/modem. There is wireless interference preventing a dependable connection. Thanks,

Dennis

Welcome to the community @captaindj2006

I have done this in the past and my colleague has as well. We had no issues as they have gotten better. I have found the TPLink devices work well. I had the TPLink 2 gig devices.

Curious on your setup since you use the ASUS Mesh Setup:

1. Based on your question, is it safe to assume you don’t have an Ethernet Adapter in the location where you would like to put the devices? Asking cause you could add an additional ASUS Node and plug it into the Ethernet Port and then use an Ethernet Backhaul.

2. Since you have an ASUS WiFi 6 Mesh Router, have you thought about adding 1 additional node in the area you need coverage and let the wireless Backhaul carry the signal. Not sure of the distance you need to go.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the warm welcome.

I’m not sure really why but I have poor connective issues with the cams. I get a lot of buffering or can’t connect at all. I have 2 nodes, one wired just for backhaul. I get great speeds on 5ghz band but in the house both extenders, ATT, & ASUS struggles to keep connected.

Not sure what to do but wire the cams?

Will look at the TPLINK!

thanks,
Dennis

1 Like

You can use this device to extend your Internet/WiFi via powerline:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSQAIQU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2A1PSFKVUV14G&psc=1

Hi OD,
thank you. I’m a bit confused about something. The AC outlet by my router is on a different breaker than my garage outlet. Is this considered a different circuit? Will this work?

thanks,

Dennis

Yes they are different circuits, but it doesn’t mean that power line adapters won’t work. They may or they may not. A lot depends upon what is on your power lines. Many devices interfere with the signal from the power line adapters. Another issue besides circuit is which phase the two circuits are on. In order to have 220v power there are two phases to your home wiring and most circuit breakers are on one of the two. Things like electric dryers or electric stoves use both phases to get to 220v. If you have to cross phases with the power line network it may work or not or at least not at full speed.

1 Like

Powerline adapters must be in the same phase to work.