intermittent connection

I haven’t been constantly monitoring my cameras but recently noticed that one camera would randomly be offline. I took it down and sat it down beside my desk so I could keep a closer eye on the light. This might explain what others are seeing. Every so often the camera reboots. It sounds like a relay clicks and I get the flashing yellow, blue and then the solid blue. This happens as often as every 5 to 10 minutes.

I am having the same problems. I went through all of my wifi Access Points(AP) and set them all with the same username and password. I even made sure they were all running on the same channel. I setup each camera separate at the AP where they were to be located. I even checked the signal of the AP and it is very strong. Each camera is less than ten feet away from the AP. I have 2 cameras in the same room less than 10 feet apart and I can only connect to one of the cameras. I still get notifications from the cameras but cannot view them live.

Because I do not live at the location and it is 20 minutes away I don’t have the time to go there everyday and reset the cameras. Any idea on how to fix this.

HI PCINSTRUCTOR, This is a real puzzle! You have camera A in location A which works fine. You have camera B in location B and you receive notifications yet no live feed.

Question #1 - I know I don’t even have to ask this, you seem to really know what you are doing, however… when you ran through your set up on camera A and camera B, you did name them differently… right? I am sure you did, however I had to ask.

Question #2 - since camera A in location A works, did you try camera B in location A? Just trying to see if it is a camera issue!

Question #3 - are you using an SD card in both camera A and camera B? If so… is it a brand name? I have seen where these cameras can be a little finicky using an off brand SD card.

Question #4 - are both cameras running the same version of the firmware?

Question #5 - have you logged out of your app and logged back in? I find this fixes some issues.

I am really interested in hearing your response to #2. Please post your responses when you have a chance! Good luck!

I have 2 cameras that do the same thing. When I try to view the live stream I get connection failed(-90). Sometimes they will come back on their own, but most of the time I have to power cycle. It may be 1 or the other of the cameras or both.

Even when I can’t live view they are apparently sending alerts to the cloud. I can still look at those with time stamps when the live viewing is off. So It’s not a WIFI or internet connection issue.

I am having the same problem, cannot connect to live view (gets a -90 error) bit it is still sending out notifications that I can watch. Just started today.

followup:

When I got home it would connect, but only if my phone was on the same wifi network as the wyzecam. It would not connect if my phone was on cellular data or other wifi networks. Power cycling camera and phone did not change it. I deleted that camera from the app, re-scanned the QR code, and it’s connecting normally again over cellular data.

I have this same issue with 1 out of 3 wyzecams. I haven’t tried a different camera in the position that has connection issues. I’m trying to relocate my router to see if that works first. I have a brand name SD card in all if the cameras do that shouldn’t be a problem. Power recycling always seems to get it back up and running. Exiting and reopening the app does nothing.

Something new to add. The camera that randomly went offline may have been caused by the SD card. Once the SD card was removed it seemed to function OK. I will need to try a new SD card to see if that helps.

Another anomaly. I gave my cameras a DHCP reservation using the MAC address. The MAC addresses I used for the reservation show up as belonging to iSmart Alarm, Inc. which I think is the manufacturer of the Wyze cameras. The cameras have used the assigned IP addresses for some time, however, today I have one camera that I can’t seem to find when I look through my list of DHCP devices. The cameras show up in the app, but one of them isn’t using it’s assigned IP.

I do have one device on my network that is “unknown”. When I do a manufacturer MAC lookup, it returns Tianjin Henxinhuifeng Technology Co., Ltd. A search on that company name shows as having also manufactured the Wyze camera. It is not unusual for MAC addresses to be “software applied”. Restarting the camera returns to the iSmart MAC address, pretty much confirming the software applied MAC. This changing of the MAC address could be the cause of some issues people are having.

Update…I had my daughter unplug the 2 cameras not working and they are back on line as of 3/4/18 …for how long…we will see.

I had the same issue with the mac address on the first camera I had. I contacted support about that and they said with the latest update that issue should have been corrected. When I say latest update, that was a couple months ago. I haven’t been checking the IP assignments lately. I did change my router to not reserve IP’s for the cameras hoping that would make a difference.

If it’s a SD card problem then it’s still a camera issue. I wouldn’t think there would be that many bad SD cards and only in the cameras.

@j715

How did the MAC address issue manifest itself in your situation?

Another camera is off line, that makes 3 out of the 5 cameras…not good. This camera is within sight of the wifi extender and has been working fine until yesterday…the frustration continues…

I have the same problem with intermittent connections. Its not working as it should for that I think this camera its not worth the $20.00
I want more cameras but am very disappointed with the performance of the software and their servers…Please don’t blame the wireless modems
for their bad apps.

Any response from Wyze as to how to fix this? I purchased two of these and every time I open the app it takes a few minutes to connect.

Amazingly, I have 3 cameras all of which went offline after I traveled 1500 miles from home. Hey Wyse, a power recycle is not an option for a security cam. If this is a security cam, you need to fix this… If this is a $25.00 toy, advertise it as such. Thanks

1 Like