Installing WYZE Cam outside - one approach

I made a power adapter out of a spare Roku USB plug, some lamp wire, solder and some spare time. I have a light that works on a motion sensor and always has power going to the box. The adapter fits in the box and hardwires right into that circuit.

1 Like

Good Idea, Thanks

Nice job but I agree….$25 investment You can’t wrong.

Don’t forget you can also just drill a hole or two in the base of the unit next to the magnet and install with a screw or two. No mounting apparatus needed.
5bbc1fe31371bc91c6a875819977171eadbc0dc4_2_610x500

2 Likes

I didn’t think about that, Thanks

Proto Type # 1

2 Likes

This is nice, great job!

Installed a Wyze Cam Pan outside on the balcony. The light fixture provided the power, just so happen the light has a flat top for the cam to sit on. Pretty neat, no drilling needed. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Make sure that bulb is L.E.D.

why? the heat?

It’s a Philips Hue white, so I could turn on/off without using the wall switch. It’s usually off anyway.

Do you run into any issues with tilting/panning the camera?

No problem tilting/panning, why? It sits flat on the light cover, pretty stable.

Just wondering cause you have it in a interesting spot. I like the setup.

1 Like

Bunch of nice clean instal/placements here! I like what I see. Just received my second set of outdoor mount cases from amazon. They redesigned the rear portion and now the wire is supposed to exit the bottom vent in the case. Works ok with the factory flat cable however I run the long 30’ cables from amazon and they won’t work so I’ll have to mod them just a little. I’ll update with pics when I get around to hanging them.

Great. Wanna see what you do

Not worth the hassle get an outdoor camera save yourself a lot of headaches even battery ones are not bad

2 Likes

I have used this housing for over a year now. No other protection out in the open Florida weather, Cam still working fine.

3 Likes

It’s not a hassle… I treat it as a hobby with the added benefit of home security. I enjoy trying out new things and working with a company that truly cares about its customers. I believe that the majority of wyze customers know what they are getting into and are happy to take initiative to make the components fit into their individual situation.

5 Likes

I have one v2 outside 10 months , I stuck on top of a light fixture that is under the Eves, Bare bones, no protective cover, It has been working fine with temps up to 95 And down to 17 below zero

I’ve had one of my Pans mounted outside for a few months now. No issues. There’s another thread around here with some pics. It’s protected directly from the weather.

1 Like