Installing WYZE Cam outside - one approach

I just installed mine with amazon case and weatherproof electric receptacle that locks. Put some silicone on amazon case(white unfortunately). Wire still hanging but will try to hide later.

1 Like

damn, I wish I knew enough about electrical to run power to certain places…I will have to deal with that I have existing

1 Like

I already had power under eaves. I just installed a cover that locks i found on amazon.

1 Like

Home wiring isn’t really hard To do

300 page free book here

1 Like

It is often NOT the difficulty but rather the legality.
In my area in Va. I need permits and inspections.

1 Like

im not that talented lol but thanks for the tip. in Michigan you can do a lot of things yourself but you cant pay a friend to do it. if money changes hands, they have to be licenced…….it makes sense like farting in a wind storm :angry:

1 Like

I have Granted permission to myself

7 Likes

Hello!
I live in Pa, this past winter we had some near negative temps. I mean from about say +/-1 deg F to about 90+/- degree F in the summer. I have five cams so far. Two are indoors, three are outdoors. The front cam is by the door and under a roof. It doenst get much weather, some wind maybe but thats it. The second one is on a corner of the house and it gets all kinds of weather. The third is located off the back deck and its exposed.
All I did to the two most exposed ones is made sure that no weather can sneak past any of the openings. I used a cheap piece of plastic from a notebook. That was the deck cam and its a V1. The other cam thats exposed it the pan/tile style. That one was abit more protected. I bought a piece of lexan from lowes. and just cut it to fit where I though it would need the weather to get in. I made a bit of an over hang so if it did drip it would roll of the edge. To attach the lexan I just used hot glue from a glue stick. The one over the front door isnt exposed and its pan/tilt as well. I left it alone. I have had no issues with them. Besides the occasional network drop. I need to take pictures of them so I can post. my thought was to use materials I had at home or were cheap.

We are patiently awaiting the pics!!

1 Like

Pics???

Ok, these aren’t pretty but I can tell you 100% they work. the v1 has been outside in rain sun sleet wind and snow storms. The biggest issue I had was wind. It would push the mount around. Being that cams are in expensive. If they broke I could replace them and go back to the drawing board. This one had gotten water in it and I just drained it and it was a small amount. Like a few drops.

The cam is a tilt and pan. I placed it at a corner of the house so that it can get about 160degree turn and tilt view. It also "semi" blends in to the eves. the black tape around the front was to keep the IR from reflecting, got that idea from here. I had originally built a small box for it, but it was huge. Much larger than the cam itself. That’s when I really looked at where it needed to keep the water/snow out of it. The gap is about the thickness of penny. Another thought was the front of the lens. I didn’t want water/snow sipping in. I think I solved that by making the Lexan overhang. Again they are not pretty, but they work. I have had network issues with them, but that’s not the weather. That was my router. Other then that all good. I gave my one bud in Cali access to this cam so he and his family could see the snow and rain. Hope it helps and its not a rocket so don’t over think it.

Cheers!

IMG_0651

Part two

1 Like

part three. Wyze put me on a delay

2 Likes

I attached it to the rafter under the siding. Just popped the bolt through a hole I drilled.

3 Likes

Here is what I did

10 Likes

WOW HANDS DOWN DARN AWESOME!! can you provide the link for the outlet you installed and what wires you connected?:raised_hands::+1:

2 of Leviton 1306-W 15A, 125V, Snap-In Receptacle, Leads 14GA 6-Inch Long Wired, White

I bought on Amazon because I was in a hurry. You can buy other places a lot cheaper. Any other questions, I will be happy to answer

4 Likes

Sorry I forgot to answer fully. I connected to the power wires BEFORE they went to the motion sensor. If you don’t do it that way, the cameras will only get power after the motion sensor activates

3 Likes

ok gotcha. This is a clean set up. I will utilize this as well. Thanks

I would loop the cord down under the camera so no water can run down the wire into the camera.

1 Like