Installing WYZE Cam outside - one approach

I think he can, and did, disable the dusk to dawn in the fixture to keep power to the cam at all times.

thank you for replying. that makes total sense, Angus said the same thing but did not give any details like you did.; Now I understand. so my question is; can wifi bulbs like the wyze bulb?

oh ok, I can do that. that’s another option

I thought you already did but see here that you had not.

hahaha, I didn’t say I turned off the dusk to dawn setting though, I thought it would work but I was wrong. lol. see that, always keep emails as evidence. lol

I’ll make sure to turn off the setting on the fixture

ok I turned off the dusk to dawn switch on the lamp and now my camera is off line, I can’t access it. so I either have to do what you say and use a wifi bulb or just any regular bulb. ugh! Please help

@R_T

I think that’s a great idea salgado.e I assume you’re referring to post 581?

Can you post a pic of the fixture and how the camera is connected to power?
Turning off Dusk to Dawn should leave it powered all of the time not off.

ok, I’m at work until 7. so I’ll use my flash to get good pictures of the set up for you

I was going to ask the same thing. It sounds like what he thinks is turning off the dawn-to-dusk feature is actually shutting it down completely based on his description of the results.

@ygemez0721 if you have the brand and model number and maybe a link to the owner’s manual that would be a big help.

I can try, these fixtures were installed 12 yrs ago. I’ll look in my folder that I keep my things when I get home. I’ll take the pictures first ; 7 is already dark but don’t want it to get any darker, :smile:

thanks guys,

@R_T
@angus.black

Ok, I looked and it is very hard to turn on the off position, frozen maybe cause i’ve never touched the switches since I installed them, I tried with a flathead screwdriver and hammer to move it and no dice.
Angus, I set it up the way you advised me, with a flat adapter from amazon and I bought a 10 ft cable recommended for wyze products from amazon also and an adapter from Walmart.

now the pictures and I hope I can also insert a small video.

I could not find the manual, like I said, these fixtures are 12 years old. I was thinking of changing them soon anyway, maybe that should happen too.

But now I’m back online. so it does have something to do with this set up bulb fixture setting, It’s just too frozen, I can’t move the switch

well it was because it sensed me when I was outside taking pics, now i’m offline agein.

@angus.black
@R_T
Got on a ladder and checked again. ugh, it was slighly unplugged after plugging it more into the socket, now i’m back online. ugh troubleshooting, lol

1 Like

The Test, 1, 5, 10 switch looks like the timer for motion detection. If you can’t turn off Dusk to Dawn and it also has motion detection you’re going to have problems.
It’s fairly easy to remove or bypass the sensors and switches but if you’re thinking of getting new fixtures now would be a good time. :unamused:
You may even find one with an outlet built in.

what’s the bypass ? because even though I want new fixtures, It won’t be for a while

You would have to take the fixture apart and remove the switches. Don’t do it. I don’t want you to get hurt or burn your house down.

hahaha. I’ll replace my light fixture. lol. what about putting in a led bulb or wifi bulb?

Based on the comment about ‘sensing me’ it’s definitely a motion sensing fixture with a ‘dusk to dawn’ option (I have one myself). I’m not sure what the ‘off’ setting controls but regardless I think you’re going to have problems with the camera being powered by the fixture because it will only receive power when the fixture is activated.

To do what I think you want to do you probably want a standard fixture (that can be ‘on’ 24/7) with a ‘dusk to dawn’ bulb. That way the camera will always be powered through the fixture and you can control it independently from the light using the options in the APP, while the light itself will come on from ‘dusk to dawn’.

LED bulb will be the most energy efficient versus incandescent or CFL. A Wifi bulb will do nothing for you in this scenario (assuming I understand what you’re trying to accomplish).

There are multiple LED dusk-to-dawn bulbs available (check Amazon), just make sure they are NOT also motion sensing - reason being that most motion sensing bulbs don’t detect motion very well when enclosed in a fixture.

like this?

When I do replace the fixture, just get a regular light fixture the I can put a dusk to dawn bulb in or just stick with led?

You can either use a Dusk to Dawn or a Wifi bulb.
That way you leave power to the fixture all of the time. The camera stays on 24/7 and the bulb either comes on from Dusk to Dawn or controlled by Wifi.
I have my Wifi bulbs come on at sundown and off at midnight. They also come on from midnight to 6 AM if my home Wifi senses that my phone came home.