Installing WYZE Cam outside - one approach

If you want the best picture through glass, you want low iron glass. It’s ultra clear with no visible tinting. The best solution to prevent reflections is coated glass such as used on spectacles / use of a polariser although there are issues with the latter.

Sorry I have all of my $20 Wyze Cam mounted outside exposed to the elements of a tropical environment for almost 2 years without failure. Simply solution is to put the camera outside then you don’t have to deal with glass glare - its $20 bucks.

4 Likes

We have a sort of block watch on our street and the local constable gave us some tips on security cameras. They must be hidden and at face level. If they are not hidden they will be blocked and if they are not at face level the inevitable ball cap covers the face. Just a suggestion.

3 Likes

I have mine in the same condition, i have the pan camera under a tinny like 6inc eve from my garage door, it has been there for more than a year, and i live in Miami, so a lot of rain.

Same here. I use the same cases up here in the Pacific Southwest of Canader (southern British Columbia).

We get even wetter weather (arguably) in GV than the pacific northwest just south of us.

Shawn B Boivin

I did not want mine to be drilled to the wall, so I made bracket for sconce and powered it off the bulb, which anyway is always on and controlled by Phillips Hue for the night lights.

10 Likes

That’s definitely excessively hot. Mine worked fine when we hit 100 in the shade in August and it’s mounted in direct southern exposure sun so well over 100 where it’s mounted.

1 Like

THAT, is hilarious! Adapt, improvise, overcome.

2 Likes

I totally agree…

Msputo, can you please tell me how you powered it off of the bulb? That’s what I would like to do. I’m the absolute worst with electric stuff. Thanks, Terry

1 Like

Looks like they are using one of these, the same as several people in this thread

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081Z6F9TY

3 Likes

Thank you dbcaudill. I totally missed that.

1 Like

If you want to be able to turn the light on/off you can use a Wifi bulb.

1 Like

I prefer a sonoff mini type wifi switch because bulbs burn out, and the sonoff keeps the original switch in place and working as well,

1 Like

The Sonoff stuff is great but a Wifi switch in this setup would turn the camera on/off with the light wouldn’t it?

Great ideas. Thanks you guys. I’m more clueless than I thought. I was making it a lot harder than I had to. I was getting ready to break out the drill, long bits, etc. Very glad I posted a question :grin:

I use this combo and the Wyze USB adapter inside my outdoor fixture. Also a Wifi bulb.

411GpHm5l8L.AC_SY400

2 Likes

I’ll check it out. I’ve got a dusk until dawn bulb in there so the switch is always on. I’m hoping to keep it but I’ll have to see if there’s enough room inside the sconce. Thanks for your ideas, I just ordered from Amazon. 3 weeks for delivery due to the virus.

mathelm64 how do you intend on keeping the camera powered up if you use a WiFi switch? What you need is a smart bulb and leave the switch on.

You know a sonoff mini can be placed anywhere, like in the light socket box for instance. A clever person could then feed a tiny high gauge set of wires from the light switch to the light box so they could still use the actual light switch to turn off/on the light without affecting the cam power, and still be able to reverse it all back to standard in a few minutes with a screwdriver.

2 Likes