Installing WYZE Cam outside - one approach

Absolutely… Amazon is your best bet!!!

Just turn off the IR light for at night. The motion sensor light will be all you need.

Here’s how I mounted mine. Used the NYCE usb bulb adapter from Amazon.

10 Likes

Great idea. I didn’t know such things were available.

1 Like

I have some lamp chargers too , almost a year , still working

Hello,
Newbie to Wyze here. Sorry for the delay in this post, but I started composing this about 3 weeks ago but got sidetracked. :slight_smile: (I didn’t know that I couldn’t add pics from the app.)
I recently decided to install 2 Wyze Cam V2s outside our home in the Florida panhandle. I chose to place the first one above a front window near the front door, looking down. My first idea of using a 2 inch metal plate mounted on the (brick) wall and mounting the camera sideways was not quite satisfactory as the image was at 90 degrees. After I looked up this forum for others who may have had a similar situation (with the rotated image), I then found a better solution, viz., using a metal L bracket! Also, I decided to move the camera position a foot closer. I bought the bracket and was able to complete the installation this morning.

I want to mention that I couldn’t have done this without looking at all the different ideas in this topic and others in the forum. So TY to everyone for a trove of ideas & solutions!

Here’s a list of items I used:

• Weatherproof In Use GFCI kit to replace an old power outlet
  • External power cable so I don’t need to use a pipe. (It’s fairly stiff and hence not easy to position neatly, IMO.)
  • A round Weatherproof box with cover
  • A snap-in receptacle; my first attempt to use a standard (HD) receptacle failed as it it was too big to fit in the weatherproof box.
  • Oh yes, I had to buy a Ryobi hammer drill as using my cordless drill was very hard to use on brick. (Plus side - I have a new tool now!)

I plan on fitting the 2nd Cam outside our side garage pointed towards the driveway. As I am in the Florida panhandle and it’s summer, working in the attic to run the power line is a big issue as it’s way too hot. I will get to it one of these weekends.

Here are a couple of photos of the installation steps & a final image captured from the app.

Vaidy
PhotoPictureResizer_190623_121531430_crop_2506x1994-626x498

Make sure you have a “drip loop” below all electrical connections so water does not flow along the line.

3 Likes

Gemniii… Yes, TY. I took care of that as I had seen references to it in other posts.
Edit: I don’t have a pic of that handy but can upload it later today.

1 Like

Here’s a pic showing the drip loop in my power cable. It’s not very pretty but it’s functional and hidden from general view as it’s behind a bush.

1 Like

Curious if the sun hits the camera directly and if the rubber ring is exposed in your case. I have noticed the rubber ring around the lens melting. Granted I have a v1 cam, it has been running since the camera launched.

I’ve never even noticed a rubber ring. Camera has been working fine and the case seems to do a good job. Had several days in the mid 90s as well as many severe thunderstorms, and no issues at all. Very impressed with this camera. Anxious to see how it fares in the winter.

1 Like

Hi,
If I purchased a switch for all the Wyze Cams provide better conductivity and less drop in data feed? I own 5 and will purchase more when the outdoor cameras come out. I want to mount them in the wooded area of my back yard ( about 200 plus feet from the house). I agree resetting the router switch is an easy remedy to buggy connections via wireless.

What’s the parts list? I already have the battery lol :slight_smile:

# Newpowa 30w Watts 12v Poly Solar Panel Module Rv Marine Boat Off Grid

# Ginsco Dual USB Charger Socket Power Outlet 2.1A & 2.1A(4.2A) for Car Boat Marine RV Mobile with Wire Fuse DIY Kit Blue LED

Battery not included.

Are you using any type of charge controller to keep an eye on battery charge level? I might be able to use the setup for some other outdoor gadgets that I need to power.

I’m not, but i went with a 30 watt panel, instead of the 50 watt that was suggested in another post, and I didn’t want just another thing that needed to be waterproofed. Someone on reddit suggested that little 5v plug and he’s not had any issue si far. There’s a $20 controller, dual output, that I could pick up, but again, I’d have to get a bigger, waterproof housing

Hello, sorry first time posting to this thing but I do like the box you found. Was wondering if you out the camera right to the surface of the box that way there wouldnt be any glare from the night vision if it worked better for you. That and I’m sure you did, but did you try setting the cam up to auto night vision. That way when her security light turned on it would turn the night vision off on the cam

does your light switch need to be on for these to power the cams at all times?

Yes, I have a smart bulb that I turn on and off with Alexa.

I just installed with smart bulbs and powering wyze cam and pan cam, works great.