Insight into how WYZE makes decisions

I was looking through the wish list today and I was wondering if someone from the WYZE team could provide a little insight into how the team decides what is next to either research as a new product or develop. I understand there is the whole business side of the house I’m more interested in whether individuals on the team have flexibility to decide what interests them or it’s more coming from the product leads and how much of the user base inputs are also driving the decisions.

@WyzeGwendolyn

1 Like

Good question!

TL;DR - We look at many different criteria and use customer feedback a lot. This primarily influence how we work and prioritize.

EDIT: This is limited to the software side. The devices is a whole another story.

I work with the Product team and just to give some perspective, we look at many different things:

1. Impact to the number of the customers who are currently using the product and in the future (e.g. grouping) - look at Wishlist, Roadmap, Customer Tickets, Social Media groups
  2. Value to the customers even if that number would be very low compared to the population (e.g. RTSP)
  3. Value to Wyze (e.g. new products)
  4. Technical complexity
  5. Will this differentiate us / Unique Experiences (e.g. Early Access)

It would have been easy to assess if we only have one product but things are getting a bit more complicated, especially after looking at other dimensions & factors:

1. Device Integration
  2. Platform Integration
  3. Services Integration
  4. User Identity and Community
  5. Security and Privacy
  6. Activation and User Education
  7. Data Analytics and User Feedback
  8. Infrastructure

Now we have to line this up with the resources and development timeline across these areas. Our biggest bottleneck is design/engineering because of how complex the work is:

1. Product
  2. Designers
  3. Engineering Team
  4. Partners (XNOR, Google Assistant, Alexa)
  5. Operations, Community, Marketing. etc.

Then we have to make sure that the system is stable and we can maintain all the features at least with the same quality level or better. There’s a lot that happens behind the scenes that have no direct impact to features, but will benefit the customers in the long run. Example, iOS 13 compatibility, increasing storage capacity, refactoring codes, improving database, etc.

This is why things aren’t as straightforward when it comes to prioritization and we always end up having more work to do than what we can handle (which is great, we get to keep our jobs :slight_smile:

We are now serving more than a million customers and our team is still pretty lean <50, so we appreciate the patience and support, this gets us going.

Hope this gives you a better insight on how we think about things within Wyze!

20 Likes

Thanks Mark for the prompt response! Yeah I can imagine with all the recent growth and new products it brings up unique opportunities to work on new things but also adds a lot of overhead to manage it all.

1 Like

Plus Wyze seems to cram more and more into an extremely limited (1GHz, 128MB) platform. Which is a remarkable accomplishment.
Just imagine what they could do with 512Mb!

But then remember

“When we set the upper limit of PC-DOS at 640K, we thought nobody would ever need that much memory. — William Gates, chairman of Microsoft”

4 Likes

I thought the process was:

1. Is it cool?
  2. If so, make it happen.
4 Likes

We’d have many more lasers around here if that was the extent of the process. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

So the lasers are still in development then? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

You know it! :wink:

5 Likes

Thanks for the insight. This kind of communication is why I keep buying Wyze products when I don’t really need them! :rofl:

5 Likes

I’ll bring the sharks…

4 Likes