Improve scale accuracy

Now that the scales are being sold to the general public, it’s time for Wyze to start working on improving the accuracy of the measurements. Some are not too far off, but some are embarrassingly wrong, like visceral fat and bone mass. Unless you can address these shortcomings, the credibility and reliability detract from the product’s value even at $19.99.

Moderator Note:

This topic has been moved from #early-access to the #wishlist. Voting is now open. For your vote to count, remember to click the VOTE button at the top.

I have experienced a few inconsistent weight readings, the largest one was due to placement of the device. Like other scales, it must be on a firm surface. It must also be well placed, not on a crack in the floor for example. This applies to any scale. The supplemental information though seems to be drastically different, I agree that I am not confident in how accurate it is.

I am a fitness junkie. My Gold’s Gym body scans (2) and my other body fat measuring scale both have me at about 12 percent body fat. I am 5’10, around 175 lbs, with a 32" waist. Wyze Scale has me at 20 % body fat!!! If you’re not all that familiar with the difference…10% BF is pretty defined/cut, Not really shredded but you will definitely look good on the beach. About 5 - 6% is what competition body builders shoot for before a show, but after the show they don’t stay there. They lose the banana hammock and grab a donut. If I’m at 20% as the Wyze scale consistently insists, I would need to lose 17.5 lbs. to get to a beach body. I assure you that I would look very bad if I got down to 157.5 lbs. I have gotten down to 170 lbs. before (about 9% according to my other scale) and me and my 6-pack got a lot of attention on the beach at the Caribbean resort I went to for my birthday (why I got down to 170). The bone measurement seems a little high as well.

1 Like

I believe that the body composition measurements are not reliable at all. Over the past 6 weeks I have been working out, something I had to put off for a while. I am putting on muscle, not eating more or differently.
The first numbers indicate I put on 3.7 pounds. BMI is up .5, Lean Body Mass down .6.
I lost muscle mass?
Body Fat is up 2.1%
Height 6’2", Male, 1962

From 4/24 thru 6/15
Weight 167.9 - 171.6 (high of 173.7)
BMI 21.8 - 22.3
Body Fat 17.3% - 19.4%
Muscle Mass 130.2 - `130
Body Water 60.5 - 59.1
Lean Body Mass 138.9 - 138.3
Bone Mass 8.5 - 8.3
Protein 17.1 - 16.7
Visceral Fat 7 - 7
BMR 1730 - 1725
Metabolic Age 54 - 54

1 Like

I have said since the first day I got the scales they were way off in many categories. The weight is the only component I was confident in. I have been under a physician supervised weight loss program where the same measurements are taken with a commercial scale and it shows differences way out of what would be the normally acceptable range. I worry that Wyze is so focused on new product development they don’t seem to be putting any effort into addressing the shortcoming of their scales.

I have had great success with most of the other Wyze products and have seen them make incremental improvements over time. It’s now time for them to do the same with their (our) scales.

| isaiah58
June 20 |

• | - |

I believe that the body composition measurements are not reliable at all. Over the past 6 weeks I have been working out, something I had to put off for a while. I am putting on muscle, not eating more or differently.
The first numbers indicate I put on 3.7 pounds. BMI is up .5, Lean Body Mass down .6.
I lost muscle mass?
Body Fat is up 2.1%
Height 6’2", Male, 1962

From 4/24 thru 6/15
Weight 167.9 - 171.6 (high of 173.7)
BMI 21.8 - 22.3
Body Fat 17.3% - 19.4%
Muscle Mass 130.2 - `130
Body Water 60.5 - 59.1
Lean Body Mass 138.9 - 138.3
Bone Mass 8.5 - 8.3
Protein 17.1 - 16.7
Visceral Fat 7 - 7
BMR 1730 - 1725
Metabolic Age 54 - 54

While I’m not implying that the scale is in any way accurate, 6 weeks is not enough time to put on muscle in any measurable way. In fact, if your exercise is more cardio or high rep in nature, it’s very possible you lost a slight amount of muscle. And if you are indeed 54 years old, it’s even harder, brother. No worries. Keep at it. Challenge yourself and eat lots of protein. You gotta go heavy to get swole! Get yourself measured at Gold’s or something else precise for a real baseline.

I am actually 58 years old. The new numbers,

weight down
171.4lbs. - .2
Body Fat 18.8. - .6
Muscle Mass 130.9. +.9
Body Water 59.5. +.4
Lean Body Masd 139.2. + .9

I believe that the scale is trying to measure the composition too fast. They should slow the processing down, let us stand there 4 or 5 seconds.

Definitely the measurements are using a flawed algorithm. I ate more than usual several days ago. The scale added my extra 2lb weight as mostly muscle. I was very careful with what I have eaten since, dropping the 2lb off. My muscle is back down. Looking back over the logs, a few weeks ago the logs attributed my weight loss as mostly muscle increase, despite very little change on muscle mass the majority of the history I listed in my earlier posts.

7/17/20
I have the latest updates. I weighed myself today. I had been watching my intake the past few days, while keeping my workouts going. I lost 2 pounds, the new algorithm took it all off my muscle and lean body mass.

Yeah, I love when I suddenly grow a couple pounds of bone overnight! :laughing:

1 Like

My Wyze scale also reads high on body fat %. Compared to my Tanita (which I understand to be reasonably accurate), the Wyze scale read 4-5% high.

With both scales set to the same age, height, and athlete mode on: Tanita says 7.7%, and Wyze says 12.7%

That 5% absolute difference is a 65% relative difference!

At the least, I think they should add a manual override in the user profile that applies a correction factor.