Important message for people using device operating systems (OS) lower than Android 7.0 and iOS 12.0:

I did some quick reading. Apparently APKMirror already has an AAB installer. The other problem this creates is that any APKs you generate from your own installed app will be very specific to your phone, resolution, language, etc., since the Play Store (still a stupid name by the way) will now deliver only custom installations from AAB sources. Perhaps I’m reading it wrong but it seems to cripple Android as a platform.

Does this mean the mirrors now have to store even more dozens of versions for every app to cover every combination of target device specs? Sounds like a nightmare for repositories.

1 Like

so long as we can still install APK files on android it’s fine. but I guess Google will block that at some point in a future OS update in their quest for more control and power

I find too high the requirement for the OS, Android 7.0, I bought a LG G5 3 years ago and paid $ 600 in my country and came with Andoid 6.0 and just one upgrade was offered by LG to 7.0 although other regions can get 8.0, what happen if you wan to use an “old” tablet or phone for camera monitoring i.e. ? if the new version of the APP is not compatible with Android <7.0 version you won’t be able to install it anyway, there is no FTP site to download older version like happens in the PC wolrd, please consider the main lack of Wyze products is that cannot be used using a simple Web browser, you must change firmware but losing all other functions, your engineers should reconsider to include web browser compatibility to all cameras and sensors, if you are working and need to keep your eye in your home and usually work in front of a PC, is very tedious to keep on checking your mobile phone with such a tiny screen, I have many other older cameras that work nice over web browsers. Using web browser compatibility you open the possibility to use Wyze products not only from Windows, but also from Mac and Linux OSs and perhaps others too. I was considering the purchase of many other Wyze cameras and sensors but now I’m in doubt, also for the sensors you have abandoned the version one users, no sensor starter kit available anymore for a long long time, also you don’t sell the new sensor base station without the service, service for me outside the USA is useless, I need the hardware only.
Living in a capitalist paradise you many times don’t realize how difficult is for other regions of the world to get tech products that many times are required to do special customs clearance for being RF devices, also the ship costs, delays, etc, and with the no warranty option, if the product arrives defective, you cannot pay a shipping back to the USA and import the new one again to claim the warranty, please put your toes over the ground, not all users’ live in silicon valley and changes their phones every 6 months, by the way, be more ecological please!

2 Likes

They are finally planning web access but it will cost extra.

Mac and Windows are planning on offering iOS and Android emulation on the desktop (Mac “M” chip computers already do this), so there will soon be ways to get it to the desktop without paying for web access.

1 Like

How long will it remain at android 7?

1 Like

I am increasingly concerned about all these companies (not just Wyze) that purposefully and willingly ostracize those paying and loyal customers that can’t afford hundreds to thousands of $ to buy a newer phone/device just so the OS is “higher”. I can’t even access some of my banking apps anymore because of this behavior.
Why should people be literally punished for keeping a perfectly good phone that happens to be an older model? Is it all for the case of forcing people to spend so much money on phones they don’t need and can’t afford??

4 Likes

Really bad communication - what does all this mean?
Android 9 - Tried 3 times to update - downloads but seems to never install.
I’ve used your products since v1. A few glitches but generally satisfied BUT no way I’m buying new devices just to use your products.
I know your lives revolve around your products but mine doesn’t. if there is a simple answer to this why wasn’t that included in your message? I just want something that works - and keeps working without you interfering!
I’ve recommended your products for years -If this is your level of support I don’t see how I can continue.

1 Like

I’m not sure you understand how technology works. Batteries degrade, new features require faster processors and more RAM. It’s how we move technology forward.

It sucks and it’s hard but Moore’s Law, and all that.

So all security updates are not going to be available for older phones? That pretty sus

1 Like

It is unavoidable. Features, bug fixes, performance improvements, and better security offered by later versions of android determine these minimum requirements. Wyze would have to ignore all those to maintain compatibility with older android versions. I don’t think they can legally ignore security updates.

1 Like

I get that ppl are a little nervous about not being able to use the app but let’s be honest every phone tablet made in the past 7 or 8 years came with or was upgradable to at at least iOS 12 and android 7. Android 7 came out in 2015 (I think) it’s 2021 (or is it :thinking:) I’m sure it’s less than 5% of ppl who have PRIMARY phones that old … That’s 6 years old and phones coming out before then for at least a few years were mostly upgradable to at least those iOS and Android versions. Tablets possibly but phones give me a break most cell company’s charge you a lease fee forever so if your not upgrading your phones at least every 2 years your paying 15-45 bucks in lease fees a month on a 2 year or more old phone then you need to ask your self more important questions than will my phone work. Now that said I do understand a lot of ppl pay outright for phones as I do. I don’t buy Samsung or Apple because the cost to build is like under 100 bucks and they sell them for 10 times the cost I don’t agree with marketing like that(that’s why I love wyzeguys). If people are paying $1000 bucks for the next gen top of the line cell phone then they they can afford to upgrade it as they see fit. Bottom line is tech has a life span even if it still works you can’t still expect newer innovation to be compatible “forever” I’m sure that the current app will continue to work for you with the options supported currently for as long as needed. If your one of those ppl who has a device that old most apps are dropping support anyway . Trust me go upgrade and see how much smoother a new phone runs it’s incredible.

1 Like

I got the email this morning that says I need to update my Wyze App (not my phone OS) to version 2.22 before July 21st. The email provides a link to the Play Store to do this. It goes to the Wyze app on the Play Store. However the Play store is still showing me that the current version is 2.21.
Hmmmm…

This is mainly because they’re not compatible with older versions of Android and IOS.

As far as the batteries are concerned, I believe it more about the “Phoebus Cartel”. Search Youtube for " This is why we can’t have nice things"

Do you think customer are going to change their cell phone every time companies such as you do stop writing software for older version of OSI and Android. Write the software for all versions of cell phones.

2 Likes

I Will be making this the last time I update/ repurchase all of my video cameras with your company. You could have at least given a discount for those of us that already purchased past cameras and are forced to repurchase or go with another company. Not all have the money to do this!
If this happens again I will go with another company!

Sincerely,
Loyal customer for now!

3 Likes

At some point almost any company is going to have to go forward and leave older hardware/software unsupported. It’s not always convenient for the end user, but how technology works. I have, literally, boxes of old hardware in the basement that no current operating system supports.

1 Like

@sbapfunding
What does your post have to do with the topic? You stated that you need to buy new Wyze cameras? What does buying new wyze cams have to do with the progression of tech? Being new cams and staying on an old phone doesn’t fix the issue … And again if your phone is 8 years old go buy a new one as most android apps are not compatible and will start to phase out as time goes on. Honestly I feel like ppl like to complain about everything. Ppl this is tech. Tech life span cycles are very short 1-5 years any tech you buy today will be classified as obsolete just because it works doesn’t mean companies should continue to invest r&d dollars on things that are not still used by currently produced items. It’s iPhones job to make a product that works with CURRENT items and apps but expecting companies like these “wyzeguys” to make new updates to continue to be avail on devices that can’t handle them is simple minded. Think of it like this if I buy a new car should ford give me an 8-track, cassette, CD, player and then come install satradio and mp3 player when they were invented as well as anything new in the future? Why do ppl view software as free part of the package items. And software companies are required to keep working on then give it to you for free. Wyze has done a great job honestly the product is amazing the public contact point is great as in forums and updates the support sucks so bad. But being so convoluted and act like you have a reason to be mad because you want a bmw motor in you Toya don’t make any since.

3 Likes

Does this mean that my Wyze Hub will finally work with WI-FI and I can unhook the ethernet cable. And please don’t write that I should contact the “Support Team”, because I spent 10 days of working with them with no positive results.