Important message for people using device operating systems (OS) lower than Android 7.0 and iOS 12.0:

At some point almost any company is going to have to go forward and leave older hardware/software unsupported. It’s not always convenient for the end user, but how technology works. I have, literally, boxes of old hardware in the basement that no current operating system supports.

1 Like

@sbapfunding
What does your post have to do with the topic? You stated that you need to buy new Wyze cameras? What does buying new wyze cams have to do with the progression of tech? Being new cams and staying on an old phone doesn’t fix the issue … And again if your phone is 8 years old go buy a new one as most android apps are not compatible and will start to phase out as time goes on. Honestly I feel like ppl like to complain about everything. Ppl this is tech. Tech life span cycles are very short 1-5 years any tech you buy today will be classified as obsolete just because it works doesn’t mean companies should continue to invest r&d dollars on things that are not still used by currently produced items. It’s iPhones job to make a product that works with CURRENT items and apps but expecting companies like these “wyzeguys” to make new updates to continue to be avail on devices that can’t handle them is simple minded. Think of it like this if I buy a new car should ford give me an 8-track, cassette, CD, player and then come install satradio and mp3 player when they were invented as well as anything new in the future? Why do ppl view software as free part of the package items. And software companies are required to keep working on then give it to you for free. Wyze has done a great job honestly the product is amazing the public contact point is great as in forums and updates the support sucks so bad. But being so convoluted and act like you have a reason to be mad because you want a bmw motor in you Toya don’t make any since.

3 Likes

Does this mean that my Wyze Hub will finally work with WI-FI and I can unhook the ethernet cable. And please don’t write that I should contact the “Support Team”, because I spent 10 days of working with them with no positive results.

Landscape mode on IOS?

Bwahahahaha

Ain’t happening as you guys can’t seem to figure it out.

Seems like you have a lot of time on your hands, may I suggest a hobby!

You also don’t have to pay my bills! I said what I said and that’s that! [Mod Edit]

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

Ya I have had so many bad experiences with billing support I have literally chosen to just pay for things instead of dealing with them. I have an extra unused cam+ license because my free one that came with doorbell didn’t work and after 5 hours of them sending emails to whomever I just purchased it so dumb. 12 dollars a year and they can’t just click a button to activate it like I’m trying to scam 12 bucks for the years service. They also canceled and removed cc details 3 times “completely removed from account” yet after each call I was still billed each month go figure.

Your likely already on the current version auto update ftw

No, I checked, and it was still 2.21.xxx.

Turns out there’s an additional required step that wasn’t provided in the email. When you search the App Store for the Wyze app, you’ll see a blue OPEN button. Clicking on that doesn’t update the app, it takes you to the app you already have on your phone, from where you can’t update the app.

What you need to do when you find the app in the App Store is not click on the blue OPEN button but instead, click on the Wyze picture. THEN, you’ll get the UPDATE option, and clicking on it will update the app. This extra step, IMO, should have been explained in last night’s email.

2 Likes

Makes since :relaxed: my version of Android pops up with “update” when I search wyze in store don’t remember if you said iOS or not . I am glad you figured it out.

1 Like

Ok. I am confused. I have Android OS version 11 and I am supposed to be in BETA. I have tried removing myself from Beta and then putting myself back in and i am still on Android app v2.22.12.
Can someone please confirm for me 2 things …
What the beta release number is and the regular release number for Android? This is really bugging me.
I dont understand why it is not properly updating to the current beta release.

1 Like

I didn’t specify iOS, no, thanks for catching that. Yes, the Wyze app in the Apple App Store does not give you the option to update until after you tap on the Wyze picture. The only option presented when you search for “Wyze App” is OPEN, to open the app. I only lucked out by tapping on the Wyze picture because I wanted to read the reviews to see if this issue was addressed by anyone, and lo and behold, there appeared the UPDATE option.

1 Like

I just updated this morning, Playstore is showing the Wyze App release of July 12, 2021, my Android is showing it as release v2.22.21. To find your Android version you need to go to your android “Setting > System > About Phone” (May be slightly different for different manufactures) My Android is v8.0.0

maybe some badges on the wYze app icon in iOs ? not picky for numbers but would love a red dot on the icon so i known if there was an alert / event when looking at apps on home screen !

The e-mail message does not directly say that old firmware will be banned from participating in the Wyze “ecosystem”. So purposely retaining old app and firmware may suffice, for now.

Starting on July 21st, 2021 , we will start gradually releasing camera firmware updates that will not be compatible with Wyze app versions 2.21 or lower but are important for keeping up with best security practices

Not sure that’s a wyze issue. Badging is os option that’s why all your apps would have it not just some. Check the applicable app store. Maybe if your phone doesn’t have it natively you can add it

Amen! I am one of those that maximize aging devices by turning them into iOT controllers around the house. An old iPhone 5 makes a wonderful remote alternative for the Apple TV, an older Android tablet is a weather station on our wall, etc…
To minimize “security” issues, I just restrict the devices to the minimum services available and log only to what is needed for a specific function. Yes, I’ll take these risks… I dislike having functioning, yet dead products.

Would love to see a minimized OS that could be installed on older devices. An example that works: installing ChromeOS on an old notebook.

1 Like

So you’re saying it’s time to upgrade from my Windows Phone? :wink:

People still pay lease fees? I haven’t done that since flip phones were a thing.