[RESOLVED] IMPORTANT: February 3rd 1:00 AM PT Scheduled Maintenance

Update: Maintenance was completed around 2:20 AM PT.

February 3rd 1:00 AM PT Scheduled Maintenance

The Wyze app and Wyze websites will be down for scheduled maintenance on February 3rd at 1:00 AM PT. The process is expected to be completed by 3:00 AM PT. Here’s the scope of impact:

For Wyze Cams:

• Event videos will become available after service is restored.
  • Notifications from during that time will be delayed.

For Wyze Sense:

• Actions that would be triggered by Wyze Sense in the maintenance window will not work.

For Wyze Lock:

• Keypads will still work without the cloud service.
  • Unlocking with the app and auto-unlock WILL NOT function during the maintenance window.

For Wyze Thermostat:

• The thermostat itself can work without internet but heating/cooling usage data and HVAC filter life data will be lost.
  • Geofencing may not work.

Thank you for your attention!

9 Likes

Any particular exciting upgrades or improvements we can expect from this?
Or is it just migrating things to new servers or new partners or something, but not really changing anything substantial in particular?

2 Likes

Anyone know what Wyze is doing during the upcoming service interruption?
Topic says it all…

Mod edit merged post

2 Likes

maintenance :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes, “maintenance”.

2 Likes

Yes, that clearly answers the question… Thank you.

5 Likes

Just received an email about a scheduled maintenance starting at 1AM PT. It is a standard operating procedure to provide DURATION of the maintenance, that is basic customer service.

3 Likes

Maintenance is a meaningless generalizable term that could mean almost anything in the IT field. People just use it to say your stuff won’t work until we’re done…we might be swapping out old parts, we might be migrating to something different, we might be upgrading things in some way, we might just be running some kind of test, we might be doing any number of things that really aren’t actual “maintenance” but everyone in this field still calls it “maintenance” because the general public understands it to mean that their stuff won’t work properly on a planned, but temporary basis, and so they are less likely to be upset than if we explain exactly what we are doing.

I am hoping for some exciting upgrades.

2 Likes

They SHOULD employ backup servers.
Imagine the Miami police telling the world “all video cams will be down for an unknown time period, please don’t do anything”

3 Likes

To be fair, Wyze cams will still record during this “maintenance” so if anyone “tries something” they will still be recorded and get in trouble. Apparently, the notifications will even be recorded and pushed after restoration too. So apparently they are using some kind of backup servers that can receive information.

While there are exceptions, most camera evidence isn’t actually used until hours or days later anyway, so a delay of 2 hours will mostly have little to no practical effect, but will certainly have an emotional effect…but from a legal perspective it really isn’t something that will make much difference at all in 99% of all cases (minus those few where you could’ve hidden and called the cops on the masked guy a little sooner).

1 Like

I bought Wyze cams because they did not depend on a cloud service to operate. Once again, Wyze has jumped the shark, forcing customers to be blacked out. Why, exactly, should we trust and depend on Wyze again???

2 Likes

Anyone know what the length of the maintenance window is? It starts @1:00 AM but does not specify when it will end. Since the Wyze system is providing security surveillance it would be nice to know. .

1 Like

Answered in the announcement:

(Edit Note, this thread/answer was originally in a separate thread, and was later moved over here by mods)

2 Likes

Not in the email notification I received.

Subject: Wyze Scheduled Maintenance on February 3rd 1AM PT

Scheduled Maintenance Tonight

Hey Friends,
The Wyze app and Wyze websites will be down for scheduled maintenance on February 3rd at 1:00 AM PT .

Here’s the scope of impact:

For Wyze Cams:

• Event videos will become available after service is restored.
  • Notifications from during that time will be delayed.

For Wyze Sense:

• Actions that would be triggered by Wyze Sense in the maintenance window will not work.

For Wyze Lock:

• Keypads will still work without the cloud service.
  • Unlocking with the app and auto-unlock WILL NOT function during the maintenance window.

For Wyze Thermostat:

• The thermostat itself can work without internet but heating/cooling usage data and HVAC filter life data will be lost.
  • Geofencing may not work.

Thanks for your patience and understanding. We’re sorry for any inconveniences and we’ll be back up and running as soon as we can!

• Your Friends at Wyze

©2020 Wyze Labs, Inc.

2 Likes

Sorry for the miscommunication, I wasn’t judging or implying anything like that. I know it wasn’t in the email, it wasn’t in my email either and I was also wondering. I was just giving a short direct answer to you that they now announced it in the forum announcement they posted (which posted after you had already asked the question, so at the time of your request here, it was a valid question that nobody knew the answer to) and I just copied the quote over here to you in case you missed it there, or someone else also wondered.

No offense intended, I was in the same boat with wondering. Your question was a very valid one at the time it was asked, as it had not yet been answered. I was just including the answer here now that Wyze had answered it. :wink:

(Edit Note, this thread/answer was originally in a separate thread, and was later moved over here by mods)

5 Likes

No Worries, I understand. IMO Wyze is more than a little cavalier with how they treat the user community.

2 Likes

As a near day one customer I can say that they have always required the cloud. The one exception is if you have a MicroSD card the cameras will continue to record during the downtime but won’t be viewable until after the maintenance period is over. With that said, I agree with the others that there should be some kind of redundancy built-in.

4 Likes

Will a vacuum programmed to run at 2AM perform its duties? :slight_smile: