I'm trying to set up rules, but am unclear on the actions to use

I’m almost positive you are correct @rbruceporter… I have received back to back sensor driven videos a minute apart before.

1 Like

The sensor-driven videos are subject to the cool down. Of the sensor itself. If a rule for uploading a clip the cloud was used I don’t believe that would be subject to the 5 minute cool down of a camera motion detection of the camera recording because of a rule. I’m At work right now so I’m unable to test it, but I will try it in the next few days

As I suspected I was able to use a rule to upload back to back videos (3) so the rules generated videos don’t appear to be affected by the cool down.

1 Like

That being said, suddenly they don’t work worth a d***. I have rules set up to record from multiple cams based on time period and duration. I get a hodgepodge of results. They don’t trigger at all, they trigger one cam but not the other (s), and my personal favorite, the rule history shows success for each cam but the videos are nowhere to be found. I’ve restarted, power cycled, reinstalled and in one case replaced and see no change. Sent in logs thru beta app.

That’s disappointing to say the least. Can you share a rule that has failed? I would like to try duplicating your rule and see if I can duplicate your results.

Thanks-I appreciate your time and efforts! Here are screenshots of the rule history, edit rule screen and the events screen later. Hope you can find a solution.

rbruceporter I believe you are doing exactly what I am trying to acomplish. Can you share in a little more detail the settings/rules for using a Motion Sensor to drive v2 camera? The goal is eliminating notices AND Event app video clips for shadows & headlights that the pixel sensor is going to detect.

I am getting confused in coordinating for this goal:
Motion Sensor setting
v2 Camera settings
The Rules/Device trigger settings
The Action settings

Again the goal is to eliminate Notifications AND Events from the v2 cam pixel sensor picking up shadows, branch movements, headlights. The reason I would like to eliminate the Events app clips getting logged for these “shadows” is because I review the Events clips in the app on a regular basis and its a pain to scroll through these shadow event clips.

Ok I think I got it. Does this look right?

And this is the result when I test it.

Just noticed you had yours set to detect motion for 5 seconds. I made mine the same.

Here are the revised rules and screenshot.

Ok now a couple of items to be clear on. The uploaded videos should appear in the events tab, they are labeled as ‘Scene Action’.

On my system these videos show up almost instantly but on occasion can be delayed. Longest delay I have personally experienced is about 5 minutes.

If we are in agreement on all of that and you are still getting odd results as you described I think our next avenue of investigation should be your environment.

Check the ‘Device Settings’ for each device and ensure it’s getting a good WiFi signal for a start.

1 Like

Today they are working differently. Out of 3 triggered from one sensor 1 succeeded on all 3 cams,1 said two failures but this time videos are there and 1 said fail but video is there but no thumbnail.
Two are on an extender
Signal strengths are 60&71%
One is on router guest network, strength 36%
Bridge that sensor is linked to shows 3 bar signal strength and normal battery
I have ATT fiber optic and use their Smart Home app. It’s Network Health report shows every device connected to wifi. Some show as low as a’ fair’ signal but none show a ‘low’ signal.

This same pattern occurs with the other sensors , with other cams.
Any ideas - and thanks again!

@rbruceporter is busy helping me so I figured I would respond to you!
If I get you right the following sequence should work for you.
Go to add/edit rules

• symbol in upper rt corner to create rule
    Under ‘Create Rule’ select Device Trigger
    Next screen Pick Device Trigger
    Next screen select device, in this case your motion sensor.
    Pick your choice of ‘trigger when sensor’ options and save
    Under action select your camera
    Under select action select ‘upload short video to cloud’
    Select any time options you want for when the trigger should run.

Hope this helps, and I didn’t miss a step. Should get you there though.
Don’t forget to turn off the motion detection on the cam itself to eliminate the false light/shadow events you are now getting.

1 Like