I'm afraid to buy more Wyze products

Help me restore my trust in Wyze. A little over a month ago, all 4 original plugs disconnected from the wifi and I’ve spent about 10+ hours trying to get them reconnected without success. I’ve power cycled, tried different android devices, different wifi routers and every combination, no success. Just got off chat with support and no resolution, purchased Oct and Nov 2019 so past warranty replacement. Nothing they can do for me. I know Wyze are cheap, but I thought they would last longer than 18 months. I was getting ready to purchase the new bulbs but now I’m hesitant. Do other IOT products have about the same life cycle? Do I need to set my expectation that I’ll need to replace some of the non camera products more often. My original Wyze Cams are still going strong, but now I wonder if I should worry they’ll soon stop working. I’ve been all in with Wyze for my IOT but now wondering if I need to look elsewhere?

3 Likes

Besides a some minor glitches and bugs with the beta updates or initial setups, I’ve had zero wyze products completely fail in the way you described. Even if you buy a more expensive product, there’s really no guarantee that it eventually wont fail also.

2 Likes

I tend to agree with the OP.
I have 4 v2s and 2 pans …with 3 bridges with multi sensors installed on my WiFi.
I last bought 2 bulbs and plugs from Wyze in December 2019 and they’re still in it’s boxes.
After reading all the problems they been having/getting… that I don’t need!
In my home automation setup only the Wyze product need tending to the most.
I refuse to purchase/connect anymore Wyze products untill they can fix thier old products which from my start till now hasn’t prove enough for me …yet.
Problems are fixed and old problems come back …just not there …yet.
Just saying …

2 Likes

I have yet to have a single issue with any plugs from the original release.

I did have to delete and re-add one to a different router for a side project and couldn’t get it to add for the life of me…not something I want to admit…and in a sudden moment of clarity I remembered the simplest of things. I still had my mobile data on. I had forgotten of all things that for the plugs for some silly reason liked the mobile data being off and having not needed to set them up in so long I simply overlooked that part.

so turning the mobile data off and trying to set them up again…boom. they went through easy peasy.

so @tony5 as much much as I help people and trouble shoot things I will often relinquish issues to the simplest first. did you have your mobile data on when you were trying to set them up? and if not, maybe 5ghz signal ( if you had that option on the routers you mentioned) was on? having all of them “fail” at once although possible is highly unlikely. more than likely it’s something simple. the joys of technology sometimes…it’s enough to drive ya crazy!

3 Likes

I have had the plugs, bulbs and Wyze sense from when the first came out. Fortunately, I have not had any issues (knock on wood :slight_smile: ) with the plugs, bulbs, or even the motion and contact sensors. I have had an issue with the bridge at one time and had to reset it. I have recently purchased the outdoor plug and it has been working as well. Waiting on the color bulbs now.

When I first setup my plug on Android, I had to tell Android to remain connected even though there was no internet, it kept resorting back to my default WiFi. Called Wyze and they explained. I have done this when setting p devices since.

1 Like

What Bam said. Turn off mobile data. This also worked for me.

2 Likes

I have two Wyze plugs that I have probably owned just as long as the OP, and they’ve never given me trouble.

As for other products, I’ve got three V2s, one pan, 4 outdoor, a wyze sense kit, front doorbell, sprinkler controller, 4 basic light bulbs, thermostat, headphones, and one V3. Out of all those prodcuts, the motion sensor is the only item I haven’t been able to restore. I only did basic troubleshooting though because it wasn’t that important to me to fix. Other than that, I had some issues pairing the vacuum that took me a long time to figure out. Outside those two major hiccups for me, everything has worked pretty much smooth as a hot knife through butter.

2 Likes

@Bam @tngeorge12 Thanks for the insight. I even tried an older android device with no mobile data because I read some issues with newer devices and the data. Using only 2.4 band wifi.

1 Like

Did they all fail at the same time? Are there any special characters in your wifi name? Such as @ ? # ! * /