Ignore Motion Detection for events under X seconds

Voted for this! I’ve had my cameras installed for just a few hours. They work fantastic but the motion events caused by insects is causing so many false positives, it makes my cameras useless as an intruder warning system. I can imagine the bug problem will be much worse in the warm months.

2 Likes

I give up.
I’ve had to turn Motion Detection off on all my cameras whether they are my indoors or outdoors cameras,
I’m getting constant false alerts from something as small as a bug or rain at night to subtle changes in lighting from a passing cloud or shadows from swaying tree limbs.
So if light is streaming in a window and a cloud goes by, my indoor cameras send an alert. Doesn’t matter how low I set the sensitivity. Likewise the cameras I have outside do the same thing.
As much as I hate to admit this, but I may just have to take them all down and look for other security cameras.
I sure hope Wyze comes up with something soon.

2 Likes

Here is an idea. Have the screen grab for the event displayed contain the motion tracking green box showing the actual “motion” that triggered the event. This would allow the user to preview and assess right from that page. I do see this but very rarely. I also do realize that the motion tracking green box is an option. I use it, but it seems a more useful feature if it actually appeared in the preview screen grab.

1 Like

I have motion tagging enabled but it just shows that it is picking up shadows or subtle light changes or bugs/rain/dust at night.
As a work around, I have narrowed the motion detection area to the smallest rectangle I can make to either cover just a window or door area. In addition, I have turned off night vision. These steps has helped but only marginally.

good idea. I have to turn off event recordings during snow. Otherwise, all the snow flakes are triggering meaningless events.

I like the idea of a time delay on “motion” alerts. I live at the end a dead-end street in a town apparently full of people who cannot read “DeadEnd” signs. We get many folks who drive down and turn around and drive off -they trigger the cams each time. I’ve adjusted the sensitivity but then I get failure to record during day events. Plus -moths drive the cams crazy for about 1-2 seconds and then nothing for the rest of the video.

2 Likes

I also like this idea. A delay would also help with not creating an event when a timed light turns on in the room. Or the sun coming out from behind a cloud.

As good as these units are, I agree there’s some nice options still needing attention and this is one of them. I would prefer the sensor to be both heat and motion activated for triggering. That would eliminate tree movement, bugs etc. Adjustable “pixel size” possibly for eliminating animals if wanted.

I have one under the eave of my house aimed at my driveway. I live on a hill so every time a car goes by while night vision is enabled, it alerts me. I was testing having our Hue lights flash with IFTTT when motion is detected and every time a car went by at night all of our lights would flash. We are very happy with the IFTTT integration. We use it with Life360 to automatically turn motion detection on when the last person leaves the house and vise versa. I am thinking about flashing the camera with OpenIPC to have access to the comprehensive iSpy motion detection setting which I have used in the past, but we wouldn’t be able to use it with Life360:frowning_face:

I would like to start off, I love the Wyze system. I have 8 cameras and I pre ordered the sense starter kit as well. I can’t wait.

However, the amount of noise created with the false alerts at night makes it difficult to get to the alerts that matter. It was raining last night, I literally had dozens and dozens of false alerts due to the rain drops. If it isn’t the rain, then it is the bugs. So many false alerts.

This causes a couple of issues, there is no way to know if something happened, since almost off the video alerts are false alerts. Defeating the whole reason you want these cameras. All of these false alerts are adding up to endless amounts of Amazon storage. If this could be managed your Amazon storage bill could go down exponentially.

The fix would only require a few lines of code. If the alert is less than “x” amount of seconds, then don’t upload to Amazon. It would probably take less time to implement this feature than it took respond to the messages in the forum.

It might not be the highest request on your Road Map, but the ease that it would take to implement this, the savings that Wyze would gain and the user experience, it should be considered to be moved to the top of the list.

Please and Thank You.

Die Hard User

5 Likes

Said it once And I will say it again
I think it should be a high , high, highest priority to implement it

1 Like

Rain drops, spring hatching of house flies, wind shaking tree branches, sunlight breaking through clouds casting sharp contrast… A few of the causes of a large number of “false” notifications.

Not the solution, but a slight reduction of false notifications/event recordings has been too set up narrower detection zones, shortcuts to control the cams. Both less than ideal and with multiple cams and a bit cumbersome. Grid system for fine tuning detection zone and at least a one second detection delay would make life nicer. IR vs. pixel detection in the future?

1 Like

Would like to have this as it should help in reducing ‘FALSE’ triggers. If implemented, user should be able to configure as is currently or with a choice of filter choices, ie .5, 1, 1.5, 2 seconds etc.

1 Like

Yes that would work. It has been raining on and off for the last few days. I literally have hundreds of false alerts. This feature would have eliminated 100% of them.

I bet if the CFO heard that this simple fix would reduce your Amazon storage and bandwidth cost by more than 50%, this feature request would be expedited. :slight_smile: Just saying.

2 Likes

It might sound really easy but it could also be very challenging for example… processing power. In order for an object to count for a rule of less than “x” amount of seconds it would need to start tracking it as soon as it detects it.

So imagine the rain scenario, it would have to track a whole bunch of objects until they either enable or not the filer rule created of “x” amount of seconds of movement.

This is the right solution – doesn’t change the pixel comparison algorithm, just allows a time factor before declaring a motion event. People who want to know if their lights come on (either via timers or motion sensors) can set the time duration at 0.5 seconds. People (like me) who don’t want to get a false alarm when the lamps on random timers come on, can set the time duration at something greather than 1 second. This would also help for lightning flashes, car headlight sweeps, and other changes in lighting levels that are currently flagged as motion events.

And make this solution effective for sound, too. Getting an alarm notification when it’s just a thunderclap, or the phone ringing, is annoying enough that I seriously consider turning the cameras off.

2 Likes

If a time delay of 1 to 3 seconds could be programmed into the pixel algorithm, then this would prevent bugs and possibly some light shadows from setting off a motion detection alarm prematurely.

2 Likes

Now that I have a Sense motion detector. I am using it instead of motion detection on my camera. Zero false alerts after a little bit of fine tuning. Once I can order more motion detectors, I will be turning off motion detection on most of my cameras. Not a perfect solution, but it does work well.

2 Likes

Curious of the number of false event triggers due to lights, weather, etc. and the load on their servers for storing?

In my case, a minimum of 8 false alarms per day – 2 lights on timers turning on and off twice a day. Each is interpreted as motion, even on the lowest sensitivity. And then there’s light level changes when a fast-moving cloud dims sunlight, then moves off – both are flagged as motion alarms. Then there’s lightning flashes at night, and in North Texas, we get a lot of those, especially this time of year. At 12 seconds of video and audio per event, it must add up.

The most irritating part of these false alarms is that when I have the cameras activated, I’m usually a couple of time zones away, and the alerts are unwelcome interrurptions.