IFTTT seems to think I have no cameras

Same issue with me, cameras disappear after a couple days. Was going to buy more cameras but am going to hold off until issue is resolved. If it can’t be resolved will have to explore other options.

Same issue here. I was trying to use IFTTT to integrate Wyze motion sensors with other smart home gadgets and keep hitting my head against this daily.

I started this thread and I can offer some hope. I reset the connection and it has held for over a week. So hopefully it improve for everyone else.

No change for me. Randomly disconnected. I gave up resetting the connection since it just goes back to “no options” anyway. Then suddenly it works again.

I’m having the same issue since the Wyze firmware upgrade. Need to authorize IFTTT on Wyze every 2 days and it’s very annoying. Any fix yet?

Same issue for me since I got my Wyze camera a few months ago. I use IFTT simply to enable to disable motion detection when I leave home. Once or twice a week, it seems to simply lose my cameras. If I reauthorize my Wyze account, it works again for a little while, then repeats. Over and over.

It’s been 24 days since this was “escalated”. Was hoping to see an update on the trouble. Having to manually enable/disable this feature is simply not convenient at all. Especially since the IFTTT applets I’m using were created by Wyze.

I have found the Wyze-IFTTT to be a great disappointment. The authentication token expires every couple days, which makes the applets useless, since I would have to manually re-authenticate the Wyze service every couple days, in order to keep the Wyze-IFTTT applets working, which makes it pointless, since the aim of the integration is automation.

The Wyze apps, both Android and iOS, seem to be well done and polished.

But, sadly, it looks like the Wyze-IFTTT integration was handled by a very inexperienced and mediocre programmer, who failed to handle the obvious corner cases that a more experienced programmer would have been easily able to handle…

Fwiw, my two applets have been working without issue all week.

Go figure.

Ginobean,

Sorry to hear that. You should definetly give Wyze Support a ping via email at hello@wyzecam.com. Be sure to include all the details so they can assist you in the best way.

Best of luck,

Kenner

Your experience is both unfortunate and I am sure not what Wyze intends. My authentication token seems to be holding for several weeks now. In my case I receive a notification every time motion is detected by my outside mounted Pan camera.

I wonder if something else is causing the token to expire? What kind of automation were you attempting in ifttt?

As a side note, the IFTTT Wyze applets need to provide an orthogonal API experience, to the extent that this is possible and reasonable.

For example, there’s an applet to ‘Turn off push notifications when I am home’, but it doesn’t allow me to choose a camera and/or sensor to associate the applet with! That doesn’t make any sense, and it’s indicative of poor basic design of the IFTTT-Wyze integration.

Additionally, if you browse the wyzecam forums, you’ll see that these IFTTT integration issues have been ongoing for the past year or so. That’s quite surprising and less than impressive, given that there’s a very limited feature set available via the IFTTT-Wyze applet API.

At the time when I tested the two applets that I needed, after the authentication tokens had expired (failed) silently, the applets would run but not do anything in terms of actually toggling the notifications on/off or enabling motion detection on/off for the particular device!

So, had I not explicitly tested these corner cases, I would have simply assumed that they were working fine when they were actually FAILING silently…

Again, this seems like pretty basic stuff and I’m a little surprised that this wasn’t solidly implemented. I’ve been a professional programmer for many years and I don’t understand why this Wyze-IFTTT isn’t rock solid, after having been out there for more than year… It seems like pretty basic stuff…

I am having difficulty understanding your issue about applying the applet to a specific camera. I cannot NOT apply it to anything but a specific camera (or sensor). I am also a programmer by trade so I understand what you are saying I just can’t replicate the issue.

My test applet uses location as the “this” trigger, so for instance when my phone returns home (geofencing), it triggers a Wyze action for the “that” portion of the applet, in this case I told it to turn motion tracking off for my front door camera. I had to select a camera to apply this command to, there was no way not to do so.

Could you provide a screenshot perhaps illustrating the issue?

Take a look at this screenshot. This is what I mean by lack of orthogonality in the Wyze-IFTTT API. There’s NO option to select a camera or motion sensor.

Ah I see your problem. That particular IFTTT function is meant to be application level not camera level. It turns the ability of the APPLICATION to generate notifications to your phone on or off.

It is probably not as clear as it could be. But that was never meant to be specific to a camera it affects ALL devices/cameras that might generate a notification for your account.

To be objective, it would be a good idea to somehow differentiate between APPLICATION notifications and EVENT driven notifications. And there should be a way to use IFTTT to manipulate either set. That functionality is missing at this time.

I can see where it would be desirable for instance to turn notifications for inside cameras off when you arrive home but leave notifications on for outward facing cameras.

Currently this is an all or nothing option.

If you make it orthogonal, so that the user can specify the ability to turn notifications on/off for a specific camera or motion sensor, the problem goes away.

As it is, the design of the IFTTT-Wyze API is lacking these orthogonal functionalities. It’s like having one switch to control 3 lights, instead of having 3 switches to control each of the 3 lights independently.

The former (one switch to control 3 lights) is too coarse a level of granularity. Whereas having 3 switches to control 3 independent lights allows the user to control each light individually. Which I believe is the most common case.

In terms of the Wyze-IFTTT API, I can think of almost no case where having coarse level functionality (APPLICATION level notification switching) would ever be preferable to having fine granularity functionality.

The easiest route, in terms of providing orthogonal functionality at the Wyze-IFTTT API level, is simply to look at the current functionalities supported by the Wyze app, on iOS and Android, and duplicate these functionalities at the Wyze-IFTTT API level.

In the app, note that each each camera and motion sensor has fine level granularity settings.

Allow access to most these fine level granularity settings at the Wyze-IFTTT API level and you now have a flexible, easy to configure, orthogonal design that can be used as a basis for building IFTTT-Wyze apps that can satisfy 99.99% of user needs.

Additionally, fix the issue with token authentication expirations. It’s a little disturbing that IFTTT can no longer access the list of cameras after a couple days, which suggests that some kind of authentication token is being rejected/expired within a fairly short period of time. I would suggest taking a close look at IFTTT authentication token handling and what IFTTT recommends in terms of how to handle this correctly.

This problem still persists. IFTTT has been un-usable for over a month now. Not sure why it is taking this long to fix this problem that was clearly recently introduced with the app/firmware update a month ago to add multiple cameras. WYZE need to test their updates before rolling it out and crippling existing functionality. But furthermore they need TO FIX the problem when it’s clearly identified.

1 Like

Of the available IFTTT Wyze functions only the notifications function is application level. All of the other functions, accessible from the “that” portion are specific to an individual camera or device.

So while I tend to agree in principle, i myself use the turn off/on notifications at the application level. I like being notified of something happening when I am away from home but to be honest I tend to turn my phone off when I am home so notifications are of limited use to me at home.

I have not looked much at the available Wyze “trigger” type functions to be honest but I will now just so I can speak intelligently about the “this” side of the Wyze namespace.

Okay, I just took a peek at the trigger versions of the Wyze API available to IFTTT and ALL of them are specific to a device.

So in conclusion the ONLY IFTTT function that, to use your words, is not orthogonal is the notifications function. All of the other functions are indeed specific to a single device and therefor as granular as you can get.

So I think your only remaining issue is that the notifications API in and of itself is not granular. I think this is something worthwhile pursuing and I will have a look to make sure it is not already a wishlist item.

From what I can tell the issue does not appear to be very clearly defined yet. For instance I experienced the issue, 2 or 3 times and then it went away. For over 20 days I have not had a repeat.

Others, like yourself, seem to experience it continuously or very frequently. Several versions of the firmware have been released since then as has a new version of the app at least in beta versions.

I would suggest calling support and see if they can assist you in downgrading to a previous version and see if that helps?