IFTTT No Longer Works?

Hello @randv123 and welcome to the community

as @rbruceporter pointed out this is primarily a user to user community with volunteers that try to help out. Wyze employees do visit the forums and occasionaly respond but the best way to contact them is via a support ticket.

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us

If you have not sent one in recently I would as that is the main way they have to fix things. IFTTT works for many people, I have had issues but I have the same issue with multiple services I use through IFTTT so my issue is on the IFTTT side of things and not WYZE. I feel WYZE is responsive but they do need the proper information to troubleshoot.

So I would say to anyone that is having issues with IFTTT or any other issue with the WYZE products do not hesitate to contact support.

5 Likes

I did the support ticket route, and after they asked for some info specific to my cameras and more details it’s been working again. So far it’s actually been working correctly for almost a week now, which is the longest it’s ever ran. They also stated that this is the best way to sort out problems.

I also noticed there was a recent IFTTT app update, so that might have been something that was addressed as well.

We’re more than happy with our wyze cams, and the service and troubleshooting has been awesome.

5 Likes

Nevermind, stopped working two days ago. Damn!

There was a Wyze update 2 days ago that added the Sense sensors. Mine stopped working as well but logging back in fixed it.

1 Like

Notice no openings for support… They should be needing a few more doubly so now…

Talked with Support:

We went through a checklist of solutions:

• Remove the applet from IFTTT
  • Unlink Wyze from IFTTT
  • Log out from your Wyze app
  • Log back into Wyze app
  • Link Wyze to IFTTT again
  • Create the applet again

At this time this did not work, Support is working on it.

I have sent pictures of the wyze app with triggers and IFTTT without triggers.
Wyze app works fine.
Somewhere in the communications between Wyze and IFTTT there seems to be a bug.
Wyze is recognized on IFTTT but when triggered the information seems
to be going into the ether (no-where).

I have a trouble ticket and will let all of you know when I hear back from Support.

2 Likes

Good luck! It’s a pain when technology goes wrong. But the Wyze folks are great to work with I am sure they will get you sorted.

I am having the exact same issues as PDP, and tried all of the same solutions. Hope they fix it soon

PDP

January 2

Talked with Support:

We went through a checklist of solutions:

• Remove the applet from IFTTT
  • Unlink Wyze from IFTTT
  • Log out from your Wyze app
  • Log back into Wyze app
  • Link Wyze to IFTTT again
  • Create the applet again
    At this time this did not work, Support is working on it.

I have sent pictures of the wyze app with triggers and IFTTT without triggers.

Wyze app works fine.

Somewhere in the communications between Wyze and IFTTT there seems to be a bug.

Wyze is recognized on IFTTT but when triggered the information seems

to be going into the ether (no-where).

I have a trouble ticket and will let all of you know when I hear back from Support.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

xhozt

December 31

Notice no openings for support… They should be needing a few more doubly so now…

After having read almost all of the comments regarding the connection and compatibility issues regarding Wyze and IFTTT I’ve come to the conclusion that the brunt of the responsibility for disconnects lies with IFTTT and not with Wyze

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Following

For the last two months my IFTTT/Wyze integrations have been running correctly and with minimal < 1 minute delay.

I do understand that some folks are not so lucky. All I can offer is a couple of observations.

1. Don’t force close either IFTTT or Wyze unless you really have to.

2. If you do have to close either app then also close the other.

Those 2 points seem to have helped me through a number of issues that appear to have stumped others.

1 Like

How often are we supposed to do this? It’s breaking daily on me. am I really going to make a separate program just to disconnect and reconnect wyze every minute in ifttt? nuts!

Surely, you do not believe that Wyze and IFTTT are communicating with eachother inside your handset do you?

Wyze’s server infrastructure ought to be communicating with IFTTT’s infra via webhooks or some api. If you crush your phone in a hydraulic press, the connectivity should not just stop working because your phone is gone…

No I don’t.

In my own experience I have not had to reauthorize the connection more than once a month or following a major change. This is much improved vs. previous experience of several times a week.

Wonder why you are having to do so so often? As you pointed out the phone should have no effect so why is my account so stable and yours is not?

I’m not sure once a month is really ok either.

Consider for a moment… if I broke into your house once a month, and disconnected one of the wires behind a light switch so the switch no longer turns on a light.

Well, “all you have to do” is “just” reconnect it once per month. I mean it’s not like you have anything else to do right? So play the game and reconnect every 30 days. Isn’t that reasonable? It’s better than doing it every week after all.

Design requirement: It shouldn’t disconnect, ever, until explicitly commanded to do so by the authenticated user.

The fact that it requires my wyze logon password be given to ifttt is a tremendous red flag and unnecessary security risk. It hints that the entire IFTTT implementation is a reverse engineering of the app’s communication protocol. IFTTT should be using an API key. With OAUTH to set up. When we log into Wyze’s site/app we should be able to view the API keys currently in use, when they were created and last used, and have a button to revoke each one.

After it’s set up, IFTTT would never even know if I changed my pw, or toggled 2-factor auth in wyze, (I don’t do those things on any regular basis so those should have nothing to do with the ifttt outages I regularly experience. I am just giving those for examples of auth)

Ideally, whatever API IFTTT uses should be publicly documented and available for individuals to use directly, without depending on IFTTT. Then our various smart home hubs could use it with less latency and less dependency on 3rd parties for HA stuff to work.

Instead, I had to write a php api on my home network gateway that receives webhook calls from IFTTT when events make it from Wyze to IFTTT. The timing is inconsistent. Never less than a second of delay, usually around 3 or 4.

Telling a human being to wait 4 seconds for something several times a day is basically an act of violence. Try it with your spouse and see how far it gets you.

I would certainly agree with you that even once a month is unacceptable. I was Swagging that. I took a look and I last updated my password for Wyze in IFTTT on Feb 2, 2020 and Ecobee was November 16, 2019. Ecobee I think was due to a password change and Wyze was due to 2FA being added. I did not track the last change for Ring but it was prior to January 15, 2020 when I started keeping track.

I was I guess speaking from more of a historical perspective. But that said it still does not answer the question of why you have to update yours so often?

And it makes me wonder if you really need to? Maybe something else is causing you grief.

I will say Wyze’s support is useless for these issues, I got the verbal equivalent of a “blank stare” when I brought up IFTTT, they kept asking me if I had enabled the skill. I think they thought I was talking about Alexa.

That said I have had good luck getting help here and on Reddit.

ABSOLUTELY!!! Dead on the money ••• listen up Wyze ••• you can do better.

1 Like

Ok Wyze, this thread was opened in May 2019. We are in June 2020. It’s been over a year. I have exactly the same problem. I have to re authorize Wyze in IFTTT every few days. I tried deleting the Wyze service from my IFTTT and rebuilding all my applets and I still have the same problem. This is obviously an authentication issue, most probably related to the oAuth token expiring. As you are officially advertising compatibility with IFTTT and using their logo on your packaging, I will assume here that you are paying them to put your service on their platform. That means that you have access to them to help you troubleshoot this issue.

I just chatted with your support and at the end the poor person (Paula) obviously did not know what to do with me as I was being very insistent. I was told people would get back to me but given how long this thread has been dragging on, I’m not holding my breath. Please prove me wrong.

You advertise IFTTT compatibility as a major feature of your platform. Many people, including me, buy a ton of hardware from you based on this claim and, it is just NOT working as it should. Stop shoving this under the rug and fix the issue. As I have the problem I’ll gladly help your engineers by sending them any kind of log / info they need so they can troubleshoot this. My case # is 630228.

I think it’s about time you have the CTO assign someone to this issue. I know sometimes intermittent issues are hard to find, but I have it, you know my account, and I will gladly help any engineer by providing any information he needs to understand what is going on. I am a software engineer myself so we both speak the same language. My IFTTT stuff is hooked to my own server and I have logs of everything that is happening.

I encourage anyone who has the same problem to chat with support, ask for the case # and a case escalation, citing this thread as evidence you are not the only one to have this problem.

3 Likes

This is going to escalate to a legal issue.

They advertise a feature that patently DOES NOT WORK.

FIX IT, OR TAKE IT OFF YOUR PACKAGING, AND START ISSUING RETURN/REFUND SHIPPING LABELS FOR ALL WYZE PRODUCTS THAT HAD IT ON THE PACKAGING.

You can cooperate voluntarily, or the customers can form a class action. The latter will be very nasty. The ‘injured class’ is basically anyone who bought a product with ifttt on the box, so… 90% of your customers? That would end Wyze as we know it.

It will be a lot cheaper and instill far more good will, if you just fix the [mod edit] bug already. I’m done waiting.

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.