If you drop a V3 and it stops working, it might be an easy fix

That’s quite true.

I’m guessing it would be fine (keeping the SD card opening on the bottom away from the direct hit of a water jet). It could potentially survive some of the harsher conditions, especially depending on different variables. Like I said, maybe it’s just that the SD card flap can’t survive strong jets, and so if that is sitting on something so that no strong jets can hit it directly, that’s no longer an issue, but unless the entire device (including that SD card flap) can pass the test, then the device can’t be rated higher.

In theory some devices could potentially pass the higher tests (like IP67), but not the 6 test, so they still get stuck at IP65 even if they could otherwise be rated higher. I’ve seen people submerge various IP65 devices way deeper and longer than the IP65 rating certifies them for. The manufacturer just can’t make any claims beyond the limits of the certification even if it would be okay beyond that.

Of course, don’t blame me if anyone tries it and it ruins it…I’m not giving some kind of legal advice or anything…just speculating…

1 Like

Thanks for the photos and write up. What is interesting here is the “power connector” - as it does feed the entire USB cable - 4 conductors - all the way in. Not only (+) and (-) but also the two signal paths. This could potentially open up some interesting applications, as cord should be be able to be used for more than “just” power.
Should add, maybe I got too excited, as the v2 and PAN has had all four conductors since day one…

1 Like

Today I learned what a ‘spudger’ is. As an American living in Canada it’s a foreign concept. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, they mentioned this in the AMA Webinar shortly after launch when people asked whether they’d ever allow people to connect to a router directly with an Ethernet cord. Wyze responded here:

Wyze Week 2020 AMA with the Wyze Team (starting at 12:46)

Actually the v3…micro USB port transmits not only the power it transmits data and that’s opens up a lot of opportunities like the solution you mentioned, ethernet.
-Wyze Chao Zhang

Here it is in video form (starting from that exact quote):

This is what also allows them to have special smart accessories that use the V3, including being able to turn the new Spotlight on or off, and update it’s firmware with data pushes. They can leverage this to allow several other things to leverage the processor and data capabilities of the V3 without having to put all the extra stuff into the other device directly. This will especially be useful since Wyze just reported that the global silicone shortage is preventing them from making as many smart devices as they’d like. Maybe they’ll be able to create some devices that can use the loophole of piggy-backing off a V3 instead. This is not an ideal solution in general, but it’s better than total stagnation, and it can be useful to keep some devices smaller than they’d otherwise have to be (like the spotlight).

2 Likes

You might want to skip the hot wax. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

:rofl:
Yeah, I was assuming someone basically just intended to basically do the touchless soap and rinse cycle…you’d probably need an IP69 rating to attempt the wax (ipx9 = protection against close range, powerful and high-temperature water jets/steam jets), but even then, the wax might make it hard to view afterward…and it would leave a funny little mark on your car afterward in the shape of the camera lol

1 Like

So you’d need a… camera buff?

4 Likes

Best tool for this is iSesam…, it’s an opening tool, very thin and very flexible.

1 Like

NICE!
thanks for the info.
now i know how to mod it concealed inside my minions.
stuart, you will finally have a new watchful eye.

1 Like

Apparently that’s a brand name for a spudger-like pry tool (with a rubber handle). I see some say it is “iSesam” and others say it is “iSesamo” but the last letter gets mistaken for just a symbol. Seems like most people agree that it is one of the highest quality type of pry-tools.

Amazon has a 2-pack for $16:
https://smile.amazon.com/Original-iSesamo-genuine-Spudger-Opening/dp/B074MH1NNN/

There are similar looking pry tools in some of the kits posted above, though I saw some reviews said that they bent during use and they strongly recommended the iSesamo pry-tool/spudger instead. Interesting. Thanks for sharing @5151rush

@Rekaksky If you do modify it to work in another device, you should take pictures of the mod and post it. I can’t believe you would shackle Stuart like that though…I mean, he might look a little weird with a long wire coming out of his…well, where would you make the wire come out of him anyway? Now you got me thinking of if there is any mod I’d find funny to do on any of my cams, maybe the one in my garage or something where I don’t care about waterproofing. I’ll have to think about it.

This can only be a problem if you’re able to get a V3 ! New products one right after another. While current products are not available. I’m sure the push is towards the “Wyze Home Monitoring”. But there’s still a few bucks for Wyze to make on current products. That’s if they had any to sell…

New products or not, the supply chain shortages would probably have had the same effect (probably worse?).

1 Like

Yea, this was my question on the AMA and I really do hope that this becomes a thing. Saturated 2.4 spectrums cause so much issues with stream quality.

2 Likes

Yes, I have a lot of issues with this as well (saturated 2.4gHz spectrum on every channel).

Interestingly, I recently read an article about how some of the new WiFi 6 routers are actually making networks with lots of IOT devices run way better. This author was explaining how when they upgraded to a WiFi 6 router, suddenly their network handled their 60+ smart devices totally fine without any problems anymore, even though none of those devices were WiFi 6 capable and they were all still running off 2.4gHz, but now it was completely flawless. Even though they had upgraded from a high end WiFi 5 Mesh network, the new WiFi 6 was exponentially better.

I don’t fully understand how that is possible when the problem should be the 2.4gHz spectrum, and I thought WiFi 6 changes were only for an entirely different protocol/spectrum that should have 0 impact on all the 2.4gHz smart devices…but he was swearing it makes a HUGE difference and tested it with multiple routers. It will probably be a while before I can afford (by which I mean WILLING to pay for) one of those WiFi 6 Networks they were talking about…they were insanely expensive (like >$600+) for a router…but the possibility of greater stability for tons of smart devices forcing use of 2.4gHz is REALLY tempting…

2 Likes

carverofchoice, thank you for that detailed fixit. I was about to consider doing this when I decide to reset the rig one more time. This time it worked. Using my finger to reset yesterday i might not have depressed the button enough. Thanks again for the quick and elegant reply!

3 Likes

I am so glad to hear this! That’s even better than having to take it apart. Thank you so much for taking the time to give a follow up on your situation. I’m glad it had a happy ending.

2 Likes