Ideas for Wyze Cam V3

How about creating a wireless attachment via battery pack for the V3 cameras, You designed them for outdoor use but made them wired only. Otherwise create a hard wire attachment to plug them into 120v directly.

2 Likes

Would love to see WYZE create a bracket for the CAM3 Outdoors or else another variation that would fit over the door like REMO so we could take it with us when
we travel or be a simple install at Home.

1 Like

How about something like this?

2 Likes

Where do you get those white disks where the V3 cables enter the enclosure?

@Ipil60R34s

They were part of my version 2 build. They came with the enclosure. I just drilled two 1 5/8 holes and transplanted them in the side of the hinged box.

This is the

(Amazon.com

This is version 1. It has smaller weatherproof seals.

(Amazon.com)

Thatā€™s an awesome set up!

How long does that run for?

Iā€™m not a huge fan of having to change batteries very often, but it would nice to have something more portable.

Iā€™ve considered doing something very similar and connecting it through a big enough solar panel that could recharge it enough to last all day and all night. Iā€™ve just so far been too lazy to run through all the math needed to figure it outā€¦especially when Wyze said in the fall that they were already testing a solar power option themselves.

@carverofchoice

Running nonstop, about 2 days on a 32000 mAh USB power bank. I have 2 so the cameras are only off about two minutes which is the time it takes to swap batteries.

I have a solar panel, but most better USB power banks will not accept a charge when it is being used (or is it they wonā€™t power their USB ports when it is charging?). I bought an aluminum flag pole to mount a solar powered v3 camera setup, but never got around to finishing the project after finding out where I wanted to put it was 6 feet from an overhead power line. ZzzzAAppp

1 Like

Not bad, so, 32000mAh divided by 2 cameras = 16,000mAh per Camera lasts about 2 days. So if you had a separate battery per cam it would last roughly 4 days, so just change it out twice a week.

Yeah, that is frustrating that most good lithium type of batteries canā€™t charge and discharge at the same time. hence part of the reason Iā€™ve been too lazy to figure out how to do all that so far.

I was given a solar powered electric fence product that has a solar panel and a lead battery (though the one in the device is a 6V battery, so Iā€™m sure Iā€™d need to switch that out for a 12V battery, which it does officially supportā€¦I was just given one that only had a 6V battery in it instead of the 12V), then I would get something to convert that lead battery to the right output for the camera and that would allow me to run a camera or two from anywhere. It looks almost exactly like this:

Obviously, I donā€™t want to connect it through the included black and red connections included here because itā€™s set up to pulse an electric shock through that device. I would instead bypass that and run it into a different converter that is connected directly to the lead battery.

Thatā€™s kind of what I was leaning toward using for my backyard without having to change out or recharge batteries. Your solution is a great one though for anyone who thinks changing out the battery is no big deal for a couple of times per week.

Great idea, but I would disassemble the shocker and disable the high voltage

Version 3 of my setup uses a hinged lid for easy access to swapping out the battery.

For sure, I actually already did disassemble and clean the entire thing, then put it back together, but disabled the shocker connections to the battery. Now itā€™s just waiting for me to buy and connect a converter to the battery (probably have to get a new 12V DC battery first, as I doubt anything can reliably make the 6V DC battery work for our cams, but who knows) and then a camera to the converter.

1 Like

No sadly you wonā€™t be able to find a reliable capacitor to up charge 6 volt to 12 voltā€¦

Iā€™m dealing with some electrical issues on my car right now because the power source I have is 6 volt but what I want to do is 12 volts so sadly I canā€™t do it I want. Iā€™ve been all over this issue LOL

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that youā€™ve already put a bunch of time into that. I was pretty sure that was the case, and now Iā€™ll just not waste my time researching for a solution that way.

Now I just need to spend the time to find a 12V battery that will fit inside the dimensions of that enclosure and then buy a converter to connect the cam to.

1 Like

I donā€™t know how small your enclosure is, but I have an unused small UPS with a USB port. Was thinking of using this to power a Wyze cam in a location far from an outlet.

Thatā€™s an interesting ideaā€¦maybe I should just look into seeing if I can have a UPS charge up through the solar panel and then plug the cam into that. Even if the UPS is too big, it shouldnā€™t be too hard to make a waterproof container for it to connect into, similar to the above picture. Thanks for the idea.

It will be interesting to see what solar power solution Wyze comes out with, since they confirmed they were working one. Heck, I might just get one or two of those to be able to charge my portable batteries when the power goes out (seems to go out for a while every time we have a big wind storm).

Regular UPS get charged from 120V AC. You might want to use instead an inexpensive 12V-to-5V DC-to-DC converter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Charging-DROK-Converter-Regulator-Transformer/dp/B07SS6XTZY/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1SVQ4R08HOBL2&dchild=1&keywords=12v+to+5v+usb&qid=1611524983&sprefix=12v+to+5v%2Caps%2C227&sr=8-6

1 Like

IR Toggle for webcam firmware. There are a lot of us out there using the Wyze webcam for our 3d printers and the Spaghettin detective. It would be fabulous if there was a way to enable the IR on the camera so that we can print in the dark and still have our camera looking for issues with our prints. I would expect a tiny code change could resolve this issue. Having it on permanently would not be an issue for this usage

Isnā€™t thatā€™s what the ā€œAutoā€ setting for, except itā€™s triggered by ambient light change?

Canā€™t you already turn the IR lights on anytime by simply switching the Nightvision setting to ā€œOnā€ and making sure IR is set to either near or far? When I tried it just now, it switched the IR on even though it is really bright outside with the sun at the top of the sky.

Can you clarify how what you are asking for is different than this?

Iā€™m not sure why this got put in the wyze cam v3 thread. I have a v2 with webcam firmware that is being used for octoprint for.my 3d printer. The webcam firmware has no option or control to turn on the ir what so ever.

1 Like

Oh, I see, I shouldā€™ve read closer about it being for the webcam firmware and thus a V2. You did clearly say webcam firmware, I guess I overlooked that since it got moved here to a thread about V3ā€™s. Now your question makes a ton more sense. Thanks for pointing it out.

1 Like